Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Waterpump price (new owner) (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/waterpump-price-new-owner-29634/)

Brian Franklin 07-10-2018 08:18 PM

Waterpump price (new owner)

I just bought an extremely clean 05 Sebring convertible with 155K miles. I am not having any issues with it but after reading up on them I want to get the water pump replaced as a precautionary measure. I see it is a very involved job, and even though I always do my own work and am very mechanically inclined, I think I might find a mechanic to do it for me. Along with the water pump should I have anything else replaced while its getting done? What can I expect to pay for this kind of job?

Brian Franklin 07-10-2018 08:20 PM

I'm sorry. It has 115K miles NOT 155K

dcotter0579 07-11-2018 01:16 PM

As you have already determined, replacement of the water pump requires tearing off pretty much everything on the "front" of the engine. Because of that, it doesn't really make sense to do this as a preventative maintenance project. The idea of a PM project is that you engage in a "little" work now so as to avoid doing a "lot" of work later. If the amount of work is going to be the same either way, then you're better off doing what becomes necessary when it becomes necessary. If it never becomes necessary then you're ahead of the game. Any time you tear anything apart, there's always a risk that you (or whoever does the work) might not put it back together just right (timing chains can be tricky) and cause some more serious problem to exist. (Like bent valves).
You probably are a person who regularly checks the oil. That's a good thing. If the oil starts to look like chocolate milk, then you've got a water pump problem that will need to be addressed ASAP. Then you can look at the rest of the stuff in there like the oil pump and timing chain and deal with those if necessary.

Brian Franklin 07-11-2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 106651)
As you have already determined, replacement of the water pump requires tearing off pretty much everything on the "front" of the engine. Because of that, it doesn't really make sense to do this as a preventative maintenance project. The idea of a PM project is that you engage in a "little" work now so as to avoid doing a "lot" of work later. If the amount of work is going to be the same either way, then you're better off doing what becomes necessary when it becomes necessary. If it never becomes necessary then you're ahead of the game. Any time you tear anything apart, there's always a risk that you (or whoever does the work) might not put it back together just right (timing chains can be tricky) and cause some more serious problem to exist. (Like bent valves).
You probably are a person who regularly checks the oil. That's a good thing. If the oil starts to look like chocolate milk, then you've got a water pump problem that will need to be addressed ASAP. Then you can look at the rest of the stuff in there like the oil pump and timing chain and deal with those if necessary.

You are correct. I meticulously take care of my vehicles to the point of being anal. I guess that it why I was looking at replacing the water pump before it goes. Everything I have read on the net was saying if you have over 100K miles and have not done it; that you really should. They were saying it is easy to destroy your engine if the pump "goes". I do like your thinking of don't kick a sleeping dog and the car runs spectacular and the engine is whisper quiet. The car is a spare staying at my beach house and will probably not even be driven 1000 miles a year. I bought it because its a convertible in great shape and its nice to cruise the coast with the top down. I just want it to last for a handful of years which is why I was trying to be proactive. I am going to change the oil and keep a close eye on it.