Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   wet floors (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/wet-floors-7187/)

lucass1428 12-30-2008 07:17 AM

wet floors

The 96 Sebring convertible we bought our daughter last month, we noticed the rear drivers side floor is soaking wet, and the back seats are very damp near the back of the cushions. The front drivers seat is also damp in the back. There is a slight leak on the top of the door by the roof, but that is not enough to cause such wetness on the floor. What else to look at?

dcotter0579 12-30-2008 02:45 PM

RE: wet floors

Sounds like the whole left side of the car is leaking. We had a LOT of wind and rain around here the other day, maybe you did too because it was a big system. Could it be the car was parked sideways to the wind and rain and it got in through that 'small' leak?

With wetness up on the seats as well as the floor, it's most likely a leak or leaks up at the top somewhere. You might consider putting someone in the car with a good flashlight while someone else directs a garden hose at the top above the wet areas.

Ram 12-30-2008 07:37 PM

Just don't take it through a car wash you will get soaked!

irdaneel 12-31-2008 02:32 PM

I would check the trunk near the back seat as well. If the top to rear deck seal is shot, or if the top is cracked down near the bottom, it will leak. It may not be coming in from the wind and rain, it may be pouring in from running off the top where it connects to the body.

Rick99 01-01-2009 04:29 PM

All of the water that flows down the back of the top flows into the body of the car and is supposed to run out through a couple of drains in the body pinch weld in front of the rear tire. These drains are narrow and can easily get clogged leading to water overflowing into the interior. This is a very common problem with these cars and there is even a TSB on it. Chrysler's solution in the tsb is to replace a sill plug with a drain and to clean the existing drains. I have this problem in my 97 and have the parts on order from my local dealer.

bandaide 01-02-2009 06:23 AM

An option that has been used by many is to clean the 4 to 6 slots/drains along the seam that Rick99 mentions (2 to 3 on each side, some up near the front wheel) by using something thin to pull any clogs through. And they have also widened them slightly to help pass through some of the larger objects.

For the windows, it is not uncommon for an older car to have the window glass shift and loose its seal. Look carefully along the area where the top seals and glass meet. If all is well, the glass should be just touching the seal with a slight pressure with no gaps in the seal. Also check where the door glass and the rear quarter glass meet. There is a seal here that requires the two pieces to be in good alignment. This particular seal can dry out as well.