Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

96 sebring convert JXI will not run

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Default 96 sebring convert JXI will not run

i have a 96 sebring jxi convertable, the car will start and shut down after about 4 seconds of running, the headlights are flashing and a small red light is also flashing on the dash. i can rev the car until it shuts off. i would say the fuel pump is shutting off.

i think its a security problem anyone have any ideas on how to reset or isolate the problem. maybe the BCM does anyone know where it is located on this car

the car will crank and not start if you do not turn the key totally off, but if you turn the key to off, then the car will start and run for the 4 seconds

Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Yes, it sounds like a security problem. Did this problem suddenly develop or did you buy the car like this? Not sure about your '96 but my '01 has a security key (grey) that must be present to run the car. If your car has a SKIM (sentry key immobilizer module)module, it may be looking for the security key.
The SKIM module is located in the steering column and has an antenna that wraps around the ignition key slot.
Make sure you're not confusing it with a whole bunch of keys and things like a gas station passkey thing. In other words, take you car key off its ring if you carry a lot of keys and try it all alone.

If that doesn't work you may have to tow it to the dealer and have them re-program it for you.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 AM

i have had this car for about 5 years,unfortunitly it is a car i do not use often because it is at a condo i own in florida and needs to be jumped due to inactivity.

as far as i know this car does not have a SKIM and it does not require grey keys, i think the issue is with the Body Control Module (BCM). i do know where it is located.

I have read that this security issue is common on the sebring convrt.i would like to know how to bypass. i will bypass the fuel pump relay first and go from there

thanks for your input