Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   Window Adjustment (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/window-adjustment-6748/)

KYBarrister 10-31-2008 08:05 AM

Window Adjustment

After my dealer failed three times to correctly adjust the driver's quarter window after a motor replacement, I took things apart and figured out how to adjust it myself. Allen screws set the distance and bolts lock them in place. Now that I understand how it works, I will be going back in and fine tune it.

I also noticed that my driver's door window is not quite adjusted correctly. I do not recall seeing anything to adjust that window when I took the interior off to fix the motor switches. So...

How does one adjust the driver's side door window? The main problem with mine is that the top back corner (where it meets the quarter window and the convertible top) is about 1/8 inch too far out. This causes it to not be in the channel from the convertible top's weather strip.

MRR

dcotter0579 10-31-2008 10:21 PM

RE: Window Adjustment

There are three basic adjustments for the door glass. There's a front 'up-stop', a rear 'up-stop', and a 'tip-in' adjustment. Assuming you are happy with the up-stops, the 'tip-in' adjustment is what you are looking for.
With the trim panel removed, look near the lower, rear corner of the door. You can probably tell where the channel comes down. You will find the 'in-out jack screw'. It looks like an allen screw held in place by a nut. Loosen the nut and turn the allen screw in or out to change the tip-in of the glass. When you are happy with the setting, re-tighten the lock-nut.
To make the adjustment to factory specs, you have to remove the weatherstripping from the convertible top rail and measure so that the inside surface of the glass is 20 mm +/- 2 mm from the metal edge of the rail without the rubber weatherstrip in place. I have no idea how to remove that weatherstrip and the shop manual is not helpful. I did mine mostly by guess and by golly and it seems to be fine.

There's also a front-rear adjustment, but if the glass is in the channels you are probably not concerned with that.

KYBarrister 11-01-2008 08:01 AM

So there is only one adjustment screw-nut combination on the front window?

MRR

dcotter0579 11-03-2008 03:44 PM

There's one at the base of each channel. Follow the channels down and you'll find them.

KYBarrister 11-11-2008 02:40 PM

Thanks for the help.

I noticed today that my driver's window and the quarter window overlap at the top. From the way the quarter window doesn't seem to hit the weatherstripping at the back as deeply as the one on the passenger's side, I assume that the quarter window is tilted forward. How does one adjust that?

Is there a tilt adjust, or do I need to make the front of the window go up more (something I would also need instructions on)

Thanks
MRR

dcotter0579 11-11-2008 10:30 PM

Before you start adjusting the quarter glass, get the door glass adjusted properly.
There are three basic adjustments for the quarter glass. There are up-stops to control where it stops on the way up; there are forward and aft adjustments, and tip-in adjustment.
Start with the tip-in. There are three "set-screws" that are locked in place with nuts. Loosen the nuts and use an allen wrench to move the set screw in or out to get the adjustment right.
There are three bolts that allow fore and aft adjustment. These are the three bolts that hold the entire window module in place. Loosen them and move the whole thing to where it needs to be, then re-tighten.
There are two up-stops. If you run the glass up and down (with the trim removed, obviously)you'll see what limits the up travel. These are the up-stops. Loosen the nuts that hold them to change the place where the glass stops. Set the window to where you want it, position the stops and tighten the nuts to keep them there.
Since there are two up-stops, you should be able to control the rotation and position of the window with a combination of the fore and aft adjustments and the up-stops.
You want about a quarter inch between the back edge of the door glass and the corresponding surface on the weatherstrip at the front of the quarter window, if that makes sense. The gap should be even and straight from top to botom.