Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   2006 300C Hemi fuel sensor? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/2006-300c-hemi-fuel-sensor-16086/)

BuzzA 10-26-2011 04:50 PM

2006 300C Hemi fuel sensor?

Hello,

New to here and have been reading comments and I think I found the right place after going through google for hours.

I have a 2006 300C Hemi and I LOVE IT. The car is so danged reliable I don't understand why people knock them.

HOWEVER, in the last year or so the fuel gauge has been driving me crazy.(of course after warranties are all gone) I will fill it up and it says it' full.

Then it says it's closing in on empty.

Then it's fine for months. Now however it is going off all the time.

I fill it now and it only goes to half full. And within a hundred miles or so it drops to empty and the alarm goes off.

I sort of put it off wrongly thinking it would not be anything to really worry about because I had been given so many different costs to fix it I decided against them.

They were everywhere from 800 bucks to take the tank out pull out sensors, replace two different sending units, and on and on.

Then I just read the onboard computer just needs to be reset and everything will be hunky fine. I was even told to disconnect the battery and then connect it back and it will reset itself.

SO, does anyone really have a good idea of what is going on?

And what is needed to fix it.

I just found out I cannot pass a smog test because of that danged engine light coming on because of the fuel gauge.

I appreciate any help and thank you for it.

CHRYSLER TECH 10-26-2011 07:14 PM

what are the codes for the check engine light and resetting the computer will only make things worse in finding out what teh issue is.

BuzzA 10-26-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 55607)
what are the codes for the check engine light and resetting the computer will only make things worse in finding out what teh issue is.

Please forgive my ignorance but are these the correct codes?

P0461
P0463

CHRYSLER TECH 10-26-2011 10:37 PM

P0461-FUEL LEVEL SENSOR 1 PERFORMANCE

P0463-FUEL LEVEL SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH

Theory of Operation
Vehicles with saddle fuel tank configurations have two fuel level sending units. The primary side of the tank (left side of vehicle) has the filler tube inlet near the bottom and contains the fuel pump module. During fuel tank fills, fuel must overflow the primary side to reach the secondary side of the tank (right side of vehicle). As fuel is consumed, a siphon tube is used to draw fuel from the secondary side to the primary side. Because the siphon tube flow rate exceeds the fuel consumption rate, the secondary side of the tank will be empty before fuel is depleted from the primary side. Fuel level sensor 1 is located on the primary side of the tank. Fuel level sensor 2 is located on the secondary side of the tank.

When Monitored:
With the ignition on and battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts.

Set Condition:
The Fuel Level Sensor 1 input voltage is above the maximum acceptable value.

Possible Causes
(N4) FUEL LEVEL SIGNAL 1 CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(N4) FUEL LEVEL SIGNAL 1 CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(Z210) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(Z912) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
FUEL LEVEL SENSOR 1
CLUSTER

BuzzA 10-27-2011 12:46 AM

Thank you for the explanation. Can you tell me what the repair is going to be like? Do I have to just take the hit and trust they can fix it? Or is it even within the realm of possibility we can fix it ourselves?

As I said, I get conflicting answers.

Wish you were located in Vegas.

CHRYSLER TECH 10-27-2011 06:38 PM

if u want to replace the flue pumps u can it could also be a wire issue or cluster issue like the post said this is where some one checking it out will pay off.

BuzzA 10-27-2011 09:41 PM

Thank you for the answer. We got it on a lift and realized it was way beyond our pay grade. So off to the dealership. 850.00 I am about to gag. But hey, they will throw in a free oil change.

Thank you very much for your time.

TNtech 10-28-2011 11:41 AM

You don't need a lift, the fuel pumps are accessed under the rear seat bottom.