Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   2015 300 LIMITED - improve handling and performance (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/2015-300-limited-improve-handling-performance-28785/)

guilbault1 01-16-2018 08:48 AM

2015 300 LIMITED - improve handling and performance

New member with a 300 Limited V6 . The car has 10K miles and I want to improve the usability of the power available with better handling and responsiveness. My typical drive is city and twisting country roads. What I enjoy is to keep a good pace in the twistys :-) I have the following questions:

Handling: My intent is to significantly reduce/eliminate body roll and make this car more suited for the twistys. I can sacrifice some ride comfort and I always enjoyed a sportier ride. I am thinking of replacing the 18' for 20" SRT replica wheels and install an Eibach pro or sport kit (sway bars and springs). Will these mods get me there? I was told that replacing shocks has marginal benefits and that the most benefits where wheels, sway bars and springs. Is this accurate? Is the Eibach Pro or Sport better option? Which size tires would be best for this use? Will a front strut tower brace be beneficial or just an overkill?

Responsiveness: My intent here is not to increase horsepower but instead to improve overall responsiveness of the engine. The car does not have a Sport mode which I really enjoy in my wife's 2016 200S. Can the dealership set the computer settings so the L is reprogrammed as a S mode? If not, any ideas? I dont want big changes with bolt-on parts and have no expectations of massive power increase. I just want the car to be more responsive and eliminate the acceleration lag.

Thanks for your help.

tarhealcracker 01-16-2018 11:52 AM

Okay on the sway bar and springs, not so much on 20" wheels (a lot of money for small improvement) and do the sway bar 1st to see if that's good enough for your needs.

These cars have rather remarkable handling for their weight/heft to start with so make your changes in incremental steps, otherwise you dump boatloads of money for small improvements.

If you are after all of a sudden max handling and budget is not important then go for the complete package. But I gotta ask --- why the hell did you buy a 300 sedan? Seems to me that there are any number of Dodges, Mustangs, etc that better suite your needs.:confused:

Regarding Responsiveness, go with a chip up grade. All in all the cheapest bang for the buck.

guilbault1 01-16-2018 12:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. The car was a gift to me thus cant sell it, must make it work. Overall, a great car that looks awsome and very well equipped. Turns out I prefer the look of the 300 to the charger. Would just appreciate better handling and better engine/throttle responsiveness. Once it gets there, I will be a real happy camper :-)

tarhealcracker 01-16-2018 02:44 PM

Well, sounds like you're on the right track. Let us know what you do and how it turns out. Is it some sort of comprehensive handling kit you have in mind?

guilbault1 01-16-2018 03:10 PM

Better handling and responsiveness

I looked at Eibach pro kit which has sway bars and springs. Anyone has this specific kit on their 300 and can share their experience? Also, will adding a strut tower brace make a noticeable difference? Thx

REBEL59 01-16-2018 03:55 PM

Yes a strut brace WILL make a big difference.

guilbault1 01-17-2018 07:54 AM

Thanks Rebel59. Does anyone have the Eibach Pro Kit on their 300? I would like to know your opinion.

Also, I read mix reviews on performance chips. My car has a L mode on the rotary shifter. Does anyone know if the dealership can reprogram the PCM to change the L mode to a S mode? While my 300 Limited does not have paddle shifters, the S mode is enjoyable all by itself and based on my experience, cures the throttle lag and improves responsiveness.

guilbault1 01-19-2018 10:02 AM

Discussed the reprogram of PCM with a Chrysler dealership mechanic and he said it would not work and advices against buying a used 300S PCM. Same mechanic said he uses Diablo on his Challenger 5.7 and loves it. He also mentioned Tazer and Overkill but does not use these 2.. Do you all have an opinion on these products?

Again, not looking for huge HP gain. I would be real happy with eliminating the throttle lag and sportier shifts, like is S mode. If a handful of HP or lb-ft of torque shows-up in the process, that would be gravy.

Thanks all for your help.