Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   Dashboard lights flickering (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/dashboard-lights-flickering-3197/)

mascu 06-14-2007 12:57 PM

Dashboard lights flickering

2000 chrysler 300m
This happened for the first time yesterday, I was driving and suddenly for no reason, the instrument panel lights and the music/radio screen lights started flickering, from a higher intensity light to a lower intensity light, continuously. it's as if, i'm turning the headlights from off to on constantly. What seems to be the problem?? Battery is almost dead?! Outside headlights work fine, no flickering, just inside. and I turn the headlight to off, and then on later....... then it works fine for a few minutes and may start flickering again later.

CHRYSLER TECH 06-14-2007 03:44 PM

RE: Dashboard lights flickering

Headlamp/Instrument Panel Illumination
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves applying dielectric grease to the headlamp switch wiring connector.
MODELS:
2000 - 2004 (LH) LHS/300M/Concorde/Intrepid
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Subject vehicles may have the instrument cluster illumination change in brightness.
Subject vehicles equipped with "auto-lamps" may also have headlamps or fog lamps
come on at unexpected times while the switch is in "auto-lamp" mode.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the vehicle operator describes one or both of the above Symptoms,
perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 J8126688 Mopar - Dielectric grease
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: DO NOT REPLACE HEADLAMP SWITCH BECAUSE PART REPLACEMENT
WILL NOT CORRECT THIS CONDITION.
1. Open hood and disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the instrument panel left end cap.
3. Remove steering column shroud cover.
4. Tilt the steering column down into the lowest position.
5. Remove one screw (Limited/300M) to cluster bezel.
6. Remove the items to expose bezel mounting screws. Items vary depending on model.
7. Remove two screws over upper cluster bezel in instrument panel brow area and all
remaining attaching screws (four on Intrepid, Limited, and 300M, and five on Concorde).
8. Using a trim stick (special tool #C-4755), gently pry out on the
instrument panel cluster bezel.
9. Disconnect and connect the wire harness from the headlamp switch
three (3) times to clean the contacts.
08-022-03 -2-
10. Disconnect the wire harness from the headlamp switch and apply Mopar Dielectric
Grease, p/n J8126688, to the harness connector terminals.
11. Reconnect the harness to the headlamp switch.
12. Reassemble the instrument panel.
13. Connect the negative battery cable and set the clock to the correct time.

if that does nto work or u dont have auto headlights then replace the headlight switch

mascu 06-15-2007 01:16 AM

ok thanks, i'll do that, can i perform this myself and i buy the parts? or does it require a mechanic

and one more question, does this affect any of the car's performance, safety, etc.? or it's simply an annoyance to view at.

CHRYSLER TECH 06-15-2007 08:25 AM

ucan do this yes and no does not do anything to the car just makes your eyes flicker hehe