Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   Dealership Fuel Injector Service - Any Value? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/dealership-fuel-injector-service-any-value-17208/)

Longs 03-29-2012 09:54 AM

Dealership Fuel Injector Service - Any Value?

I have my car at the dealer today for State Inspection. My Check Engine Light is on (not an inspection issue) but the dealer called saying that it's idling fast, suggesting that I replace the air filter ($40) and have "Fuel Injection Service" for $139.

I would never have them replace the air filter for $40, but is there any "value" in the Fuel Injection Service, or is it another way to pad the bill?

I told them I'd decide after I heard about any costs associated with the State Inspection. They used to provide that complimentary, now it's only complimentary if the car was purchased from this dealer.

The location is convenient but they always try to upsell. I had taken our Pacifica there and had changed the air filter myself less than 10,000 miles earlier, and they tried to tell me it should be changed (I am not driving through a coal mine or on gravel roads every day).

Any thoughts on "Fuel Injector Service" from a dealer?

TNtech 03-29-2012 06:10 PM

No value whatsoever. You would be better off just running some additive in the tank. I never upsell them myself. And you can see that I work at a dealer. Upsells are fine as long as you need the work done. Trust me, cars break and need maintenance enough not have to upsell a bunch of BS like that. Just run good gas and you'll be fine as far as the injectors go. Now, if you have high mileage, taking the throttle body off and cleaning it good is something I would get done or do it yourself. There is an idle air port that gets depsoits in it that can cause idle issues also the plate can stick on you due to these same deposits.

Why was the CEL on anyway? Do you have any more info?

Longs 03-30-2012 12:42 PM

Thanks TNtech... the car's a 2006 with 3.5L with 42,000 miles. The CEL is code P0404 indicating issues with the EGR - I have a new EGR valve, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I was hoping to avoid removing the upper intake but I'm getting impressions that it's the easier approach.

The dealer wasted so much time on the inspection that I told them I'd "think about" the injector service since i needed to get the car back that day, couldn't let them keep it overnight again.

Other 'funny' items were that they said the oil was dirty and should be changed. When I told the service rep that it had been about 4,000 miles since my last oil change, he said "these cars need the oil changed every 3,000 miles". Show me that in the owners manual? He also said my transmission fluid should be changed based on "age"... again, doesn't it say in the manual that the tranny fluid is good for far longer than 42,000 miles under normal driving conditions - I'm not driving a Taxi or towing a trailer.

I was just surprised that they didn't "make up" anything on the inspection itself - a burned out bulb, or something else that they could pad that bill with. I walked out only paying the $26 for the inspection.

TNtech 03-30-2012 05:51 PM

4000 is a good interval for oil change. Mine gets it anywhere between 3 and 4K whenever I get a chance. Do the trans service at 60K, not a flush. If the dealer has an express lube there it shouldn't be that expensive.

steak59 03-30-2012 07:07 PM

Well, Oil change is due every 3000 miles, especially the 3.5l, they burn more oil than other engines.
trans service should be done every 5yrs or 50-60K, if you really want your trans to last LONG LONG TIME, get it done!

I would recommend a Fuel injection service along with Tune up at like 100k miles, where the throttle body is cake up with carbons.

All of these maintainence does hold some value if you plan to keep the car beyond 100k mile mark. If not, you can pass them onto the next owner.