Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   Hard Drive for MP3's (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/hard-drive-mp3s-30056/)

Hughsey 10-25-2018 08:40 PM

Hard Drive for MP3's

Was wondering if anyone has some input for me. At one point i had an ipod that i used through my 2015 300s to listen to music. Then i switched to a 128GB flash drive and it worked fine. I just purchased a new hard drive and loaded it with the same music and now the screen says the files are not supported. Does anyone on here have an understanding of what could be wrong? Or what i can do to fix the issue?

BiliTheAxe 10-25-2018 08:56 PM

It could be a few things, from the hard drive using the wrong type of partition, or the head unit not having the correct drivers to support a hard drive, to the USB hub not supplying enough power to properly power the hard drive.
With older android head units I used to have to add a 12 volt powered USB hub to get enough power to run a hard drive.
USB flash drives are typically formatted Fat32, so first of all, make sure that the hard drive has the same formatting as the flash drive that you have used.
If the head unit is capable of reformatting the hard drive, you could also try having it create the partition for the hard drive to use.

Hughsey 10-25-2018 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe (Post 108078)
It could be a few things, from the hard drive using the wrong type of partition, or the head unit not having the correct drivers to support a hard drive, to the USB hub not supplying enough power to properly power the hard drive.
With older android head units I used to have to add a 12 volt powered USB hub to get enough power to run a hard drive.
USB flash drives are typically formatted Fat32, so first of all, make sure that the hard drive has the same formatting as the flash drive that you have used.
If the head unit is capable of reformatting the hard drive, you could also try having it create the partition for the hard drive to use.

ok, ya i just went out and bought a solid state hard drive thinking it would be the best bet being in a moving car. Im not sure the format. Im going to try and find out if it is fat32. Thanks for your input.

Hughsey 10-25-2018 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hughsey (Post 108077)
Was wondering if anyone has some input for me. At one point i had an ipod that i used through my 2015 300s to listen to music. Then i switched to a 128GB flash drive and it worked fine. I just purchased a new hard drive and loaded it with the same music and now the screen says the files are not supported. Does anyone on here have an understanding of what could be wrong? Or what i can do to fix the issue?

Oddly enough i formatted the drive from exFAT to NTFS and it seems to be working.

BiliTheAxe 10-25-2018 09:49 PM

Then it is a good thing you checked that.
If you live in an area that has high temps in the summer time, and you notice issues playing music off of the drive, it could be that the drive got too hot sitting in the car.
If that happens, take the drive inside at night and plug it in when you go out.