Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   Rear door latch broken. Unable to open the door to replace it. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/rear-door-latch-broken-unable-open-door-replace-17506/)

provench 05-05-2012 06:29 PM

Rear door latch broken. Unable to open the door to replace it.

From time to time, onr of the rear door refused to unlock. I removed the rear door latch to clean it but saw it was stuck in corrosion. I reinstalled it making sure it was in the unlock position planning to buy a new latch assembly shortly. I probably screwed it trying to clean it or didn't reinstalled it properly cuz I cannot open the door anymore. You see my problem...I need to open the door to replace the latch but can't open the door...Looks like I paint myself in the corner.

-I hear the solinoid toggleling when trying to unlock
-The unlocking button moves up and down

So, the problem seems to be in the latch refusing to unlock. Anybody has any idea what I could do to solve my problem without having to destroy the door panel?

CHRYSLER TECH 05-06-2012 05:56 PM

replace the door lock actuator

provench 05-07-2012 07:34 AM

That's what I want to do. My problem is that I cannot open the door to access the actuator.

-How to access the actuator without opening the door or how to open or remove the door that refuses to unlock?

BTW, I forgot to mention that this is a Chrysler 300 2005.

Thanks for your help.

ChryslerCares 05-07-2012 12:26 PM

The instrument cluster locks or unlocks the doors when an actuation input signal from a door lock switch or Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is received. The instrument cluster turns on the output drivers and provides a voltage level to the door lock motor for a specified time.

Turn the ignition off.
Remove the doors inner trim panels to gain access to the door latch connector.
Disconnect the Right Door Latch connector.
Disconnect the Instrument Cluster C1 connector.
Measure the resistance of the (P392) Door Lock Driver Right Doors circuit between the Cluster C1 connector and the Right Door Latch connector.

The door lock motors are controlled by the instrument cluster. A positive and negative battery connection to the two motor terminals will cause the motor to move in one direction. Reversing the current will cause the motor to move in the opposite direction.

provench 05-09-2012 07:43 PM

Thanks.

I will check this out and let you know.

TNtech 05-09-2012 10:43 PM

The easiest way to get the door open without breaking the door panel is to get a locksmith to open it with a "slim jim" or whatever he has. You MAY be able to flex the top of the door panel out enough to grab the lock button and pull up on it...that is if the actuator isn't jammed so you can't pull on it.

provench 05-13-2012 11:25 AM

Yeah...It may be my best option.

Thanks.

Nathancase1 10-07-2021 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 61769)
The easiest way to get the door open without breaking the door panel is to get a locksmith to open it with a "slim jim" or whatever he has. You MAY be able to flex the top of the door panel out enough to grab the lock button and pull up on it...that is if the actuator isn't jammed so you can't pull on it.

What do you do if the actuator is not working?