Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   Shift Lock Mechanism? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/shift-lock-mechanism-12137/)

Alexanderdickens 08-13-2010 04:04 PM

Shift Lock Mechanism?

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 I drove it home from work yesterday and parked it, the engine and transmission are fine. Today i went out, started it up depressed the brake pedal to put it in gear but, it won't shift out of park. when you depress the brake the level the shift will still move to the right but, you cannot move it down into gear. when you depress the brake the brake ligts lights up, but you cannot pull the lever out of park. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?????

TNtech 08-13-2010 10:11 PM

The interlock mechanism in the shifter is broken. It's made of plastic (imagine that) There is an access hole to reach it to disengage but you'll need a flashlight. Take off the chrome trim around the shift cover. Wiggle the shifter knob button and you will see it.

There is no fix except for a new shifter assembly.

Rich 08-19-2011 05:40 PM

I just recently experienced the same issue with my 2005, 300c w/136,000. There is a plastice piece called a Park Lock Out mechanism. A small srping attaches to this tiny lip and snaps off in time. Chrysler does not sell that piece and requires you to purchase the entire shift unit. It's my understanding the part costs aprox. $170.00. Their labor charge is 1.5 hrs and aprox. $94.00 per hr. A company out of Florida by the name of Billet Technoligies sells the part (w/a new spring) and makes it out of medal for $39.99 + shipping. They not only explain how to do it with photo's and writing, but add video on Youtube as well. I did the job today in 1hr. 15 min's at a total cost of $49.24.

Djinn-n-Tonic 08-19-2011 05:57 PM

A company out of Florida by the name of Billet Technoligies sells the part (w/a new spring) and makes it out of medal for $39.99 + shipping. They not only explain how to do it with photo's and writing, but add video on Youtube as well. I did the job today in 1hr. 15 min's at a total cost of $49.24.
And in a few weeks time.....That Metal part will grind its way into the housing, eventually shearing off the mounting post. Then you will be buying a shifter assembly....

DOES NOBODY DO THEIR HOMEWORK???????????????????????

Google Chrysler safety recall "K39"..............the part IS replaceable, There is no labor charge because its a recall campaign, And if the shifter has been modified with "Billet Technologies Aftermarket parts, the Recall is Voided.

So far Ive seen 8 of the Billet levers cut the post clean off of the shifter housing....And Then there is Nothing I can do about it......

Food for thought..........

CHRYSLER TECH 08-19-2011 11:27 PM

vary common I replace them all the time

TNtech 08-20-2011 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic (Post 53494)
So far Ive seen 8 of the Billet levers cut the post clean off of the shifter housing....And Then there is Nothing I can do about it......

Food for thought..........

Yeah, it's like putting a Geo engine in a Ram Truck. Or maybe that's backwards :confused: Not to mention about 50% of the ones that fail have a nice coating of sticky goooo all over the shifter assembly.

Djinn-n-Tonic 08-20-2011 05:29 PM

Not to mention about 50% of the ones that fail have a nice coating of sticky goooo all over the shifter assembly.

Goo?????...... Nah...Cant be.....Ive never spilled anything in my car.....

I must admit I am a Smoker, But How is it possible that there are more ashes under the center console, than there are in the ashtray.....

And when you mix ashes with the bottom of the cup Dunkin Donut sludge, it works better than Krazy glue.....

TNtech 08-21-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic (Post 53521)
And when you mix ashes with the bottom of the cup Dunkin Donut sludge, it works better than Krazy glue.....

That is not MY goo! That must be an engineering defect. I'm never buying another Chrysler!!

Rich 08-21-2011 06:48 AM

Ok folks I did my home work this time. Imagine the panic, I am waiting on a loaded 2012 300c that was ordered June 2011. A week later the water pump goes, then the EGR light keeps going on, the sway bar starts banging away again after 5,000 miles (third set of bushings at 136,000) and now the shifter won't release from Park. All this in 2 months. I just put the car up for sale and refuse to pass my car on unless it's 100% issue free.
I believed what I read where the dealer doesn't sell the Park Lock Out piece and how they want about $400 to fix it. I checked with one dealership and they did have it for a few bucks and although I read there was no recall, there was number # K39. I confirmed with the dealer as well.
I want to thank the guy who gave me the information about the medal after market piece sheering off the plastic shaft and the recall infor. It will take me one hour to change to the new plastic piece. I will attemp a refund from Billet Tech for the medal replacement. If not for about $60.00 and two hours of my time it's over. Yes I will fix it myself and pass on the recall.
One thing I hate aside from getting screwed is people bashing Chrysler. I love my 300c and can hardly wait for the 2012 to arrive "Imported from Detriot".

civilian 08-26-2011 03:00 PM

Seems like there is no recall on mine even though the part has failed. My local dealer says he can only sell the whole shifter mechanism. Even the 800 number on the recall I searched for was no use. She could only tell me that there was no recalls on my vehicle.
So I can buy the whole mechanism now or the aftermarket part and maybe buy the mechanism later if it breaks more.