Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   Shift Lock Mechanism? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/shift-lock-mechanism-12137/)

Alexanderdickens 08-13-2010 04:04 PM

Shift Lock Mechanism?

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 I drove it home from work yesterday and parked it, the engine and transmission are fine. Today i went out, started it up depressed the brake pedal to put it in gear but, it won't shift out of park. when you depress the brake the level the shift will still move to the right but, you cannot move it down into gear. when you depress the brake the brake ligts lights up, but you cannot pull the lever out of park. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?????

TNtech 08-13-2010 10:11 PM

The interlock mechanism in the shifter is broken. It's made of plastic (imagine that) There is an access hole to reach it to disengage but you'll need a flashlight. Take off the chrome trim around the shift cover. Wiggle the shifter knob button and you will see it.

There is no fix except for a new shifter assembly.

Rich 08-19-2011 05:40 PM

I just recently experienced the same issue with my 2005, 300c w/136,000. There is a plastice piece called a Park Lock Out mechanism. A small srping attaches to this tiny lip and snaps off in time. Chrysler does not sell that piece and requires you to purchase the entire shift unit. It's my understanding the part costs aprox. $170.00. Their labor charge is 1.5 hrs and aprox. $94.00 per hr. A company out of Florida by the name of Billet Technoligies sells the part (w/a new spring) and makes it out of medal for $39.99 + shipping. They not only explain how to do it with photo's and writing, but add video on Youtube as well. I did the job today in 1hr. 15 min's at a total cost of $49.24.

Djinn-n-Tonic 08-19-2011 05:57 PM

A company out of Florida by the name of Billet Technoligies sells the part (w/a new spring) and makes it out of medal for $39.99 + shipping. They not only explain how to do it with photo's and writing, but add video on Youtube as well. I did the job today in 1hr. 15 min's at a total cost of $49.24.
And in a few weeks time.....That Metal part will grind its way into the housing, eventually shearing off the mounting post. Then you will be buying a shifter assembly....

DOES NOBODY DO THEIR HOMEWORK???????????????????????

Google Chrysler safety recall "K39"..............the part IS replaceable, There is no labor charge because its a recall campaign, And if the shifter has been modified with "Billet Technologies Aftermarket parts, the Recall is Voided.

So far Ive seen 8 of the Billet levers cut the post clean off of the shifter housing....And Then there is Nothing I can do about it......

Food for thought..........

CHRYSLER TECH 08-19-2011 11:27 PM

vary common I replace them all the time

TNtech 08-20-2011 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic (Post 53494)
So far Ive seen 8 of the Billet levers cut the post clean off of the shifter housing....And Then there is Nothing I can do about it......

Food for thought..........

Yeah, it's like putting a Geo engine in a Ram Truck. Or maybe that's backwards :confused: Not to mention about 50% of the ones that fail have a nice coating of sticky goooo all over the shifter assembly.

Djinn-n-Tonic 08-20-2011 05:29 PM

Not to mention about 50% of the ones that fail have a nice coating of sticky goooo all over the shifter assembly.

Goo?????...... Nah...Cant be.....Ive never spilled anything in my car.....

I must admit I am a Smoker, But How is it possible that there are more ashes under the center console, than there are in the ashtray.....

And when you mix ashes with the bottom of the cup Dunkin Donut sludge, it works better than Krazy glue.....

TNtech 08-21-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic (Post 53521)
And when you mix ashes with the bottom of the cup Dunkin Donut sludge, it works better than Krazy glue.....

That is not MY goo! That must be an engineering defect. I'm never buying another Chrysler!!

Rich 08-21-2011 06:48 AM

Ok folks I did my home work this time. Imagine the panic, I am waiting on a loaded 2012 300c that was ordered June 2011. A week later the water pump goes, then the EGR light keeps going on, the sway bar starts banging away again after 5,000 miles (third set of bushings at 136,000) and now the shifter won't release from Park. All this in 2 months. I just put the car up for sale and refuse to pass my car on unless it's 100% issue free.
I believed what I read where the dealer doesn't sell the Park Lock Out piece and how they want about $400 to fix it. I checked with one dealership and they did have it for a few bucks and although I read there was no recall, there was number # K39. I confirmed with the dealer as well.
I want to thank the guy who gave me the information about the medal after market piece sheering off the plastic shaft and the recall infor. It will take me one hour to change to the new plastic piece. I will attemp a refund from Billet Tech for the medal replacement. If not for about $60.00 and two hours of my time it's over. Yes I will fix it myself and pass on the recall.
One thing I hate aside from getting screwed is people bashing Chrysler. I love my 300c and can hardly wait for the 2012 to arrive "Imported from Detriot".

civilian 08-26-2011 03:00 PM

Seems like there is no recall on mine even though the part has failed. My local dealer says he can only sell the whole shifter mechanism. Even the 800 number on the recall I searched for was no use. She could only tell me that there was no recalls on my vehicle.
So I can buy the whole mechanism now or the aftermarket part and maybe buy the mechanism later if it breaks more.

hutchina3 08-28-2011 03:04 PM

Shift Tower stuck in park also

Read the previous threads in regards to my problem. Exact same problem as "Alexanderdickens" with my Chry 300, 06 with the shift tower stuck in park. Read TNTech's thread and removed the chrome cover, moved the shift tower back & forth but I could not see anything as to an access hole to disengage the tower. Of course this vehicle is in the garage until I can figure out how to release the shift tower. More defined info on this problem greatly appreciated! I'd prefer to do this job myself just like I repaired the issue with the A/C blend box many months ago. Also, If you have to purchase the entire shifter asssembly, who might have the best price? certainly not the dealer!!! thank's

Djinn-n-Tonic 08-28-2011 05:40 PM

Read the previous threads in regards to my problem. Exact same problem as "Alexanderdickens" with my Chry 300,
Certainly Not the posts in THIS thread.......2 people have successfully fixed this with the info already given.......

Or would you like someone to come to your door and just fix it, and leave a Post it note on the window thanking you for the opportunity.....?????

1)Google K39 Chrysler recall

2) READ IT....Dont just look at the pictures

3) If the recall applies to your Vin number and build date, Take the car in and have the recall performed

4) if it does not apply, Find the part # in the recall notice, and Order it from the Chrysler dealership.

5) Its that simple.....The recall notice has all the info you need to complete the repair

hutchina3 08-29-2011 09:00 AM

Attn: Djinn-n-Tonic

Would be nice to get valuable info instead of snub remarks of an egoistical nature! Obviously, you one of the few who think's your profession should be bowed to! Your part of the 2% of mechanics who think the general public should be gouged at the wallet everytime they bring their auto into a dealership, because of your 'extensive education' & 'so called experience', Not So! For your information I'm quite good as a mechanic and have been for over 45 years. Before I tear something down, I always do my homework, and this case is no different. #1 - this cheap plastic part (which by design is destin to fail) "shift interlock latch" was repaired by me last night, which totally fixed the problem much better than any so-called Chrysler Tech. #2 - This recall "ONLY" applies to a very small majority of Chry/Dodge auto's (who didn't know that!) Mine does not qualify (imagine that!). #3 - Not only do I look at the 'pictures' but I can read as well! #4 - I would 'not' buy the part from Chrysler if it was the last one in the world (who wants to pay a 600 percent mark-up when you can buy a much better fabrication from another vendor) who by the way already figured out that the OEM part was crap. A dealer would normally charge around $400 dollars or more to replace the shift mechanism (because they don't want to waste 'their' valuable time replacing the (so-called pink thingy) inside the case. Too lazy, I guess! Again, really, how hard is it to swap "a part for a part"? Your wasting you ASE certification, don't you think? All dealerships will rape your wallet everytime they get the chance when it comes to repairs outside of warranty or valid recalls, everyone know's this. I just recently replaced an actuator which controls the blend box door on this same car, the dealer was so-so confident that the blend box itself needed to be replaced thus this operation would have costed me and others over $700 dollars. The fact that "they the dealer/service dept" said the repair would that around 6-7 hours and that the dash had to be pulled - B.S. This is not the case in over 95% of the cars that have the 'so-called tick-tick-tick sound' in the dash. It is not the blend box but the actuator, period! I repaired this problem with a new "OEM plastic actuator" that was bought from a parts jobber in Florida for a whopping $21 dollars which included shipping. And 'NO' the dash did not have to be removed as the service dept so demanded!!! Just another example, of consumer rip-off when folk's 'Don't Do Their Homework'.... Maybe, you should get off this forum, if your not dedicated to lending a hand to those less fortunant than I, when it comes to self repair. People come looking for good answers or solutions - NOT Sarcasm!! Oh, by the way this message does not include TNTech, he's OK in my book, you could learn something!!!!!!!!

Djinn-n-Tonic 08-29-2011 05:37 PM

Well now...Since you can Write 4 paragraphs at a time, But cant READ more than 2 lines of three letter words....

I'll Play.....

A dealer would normally charge around $400 dollars or more to replace the shift mechanism (because they don't want to waste 'their' valuable time replacing the (so-called pink thingy) inside the case. Too lazy, I guess! Again, really, how hard is it to swap "a part for a part"?
... Did you Google K39 DUMBASS???? thats exactly what the recall is....A part for part replacement of the "PINK THING" lever..(Which is Now either Tan or White) with a superior part from a different vendor. Before you call me names, use your 2nd grade intelligence to follow my instructions Douchebag.

Obviously, you one of the few who think's your profession should be bowed to! Your part of the 2% of mechanics who think the general public should be gouged at the wallet everytime they bring their auto into a dealership, because of your 'extensive education' & 'so called experience',
My experience In no way shape, or form cost you a nickel. In fact in The process of gouging your wallet, I Informed you of something that wouldnt cost you nearly 1% of the Shifter assembly...and how to get it.....
If you cant see that then you truly are stupid...

A 45 year Mechanic doesnt ask questions like this..... If you look back at the threads you supposedly read, " Rich" thanked me, and his car is fixed.....If he pops back in ask him how much the recall lever cost him....To buy it over the counter.....I'll bet its no where near the cost of a shifter!!!!

Basic Fact....I'm here on this forum on my own accord....I dont get paid...I dont get bonus coupons, In fact it costs me electric to run my computer to answer questions for free, for people I dont know.

How F****G Dare you Tell me I should leave, and call me a Crook....When On 3 separate occassions in this thread alone, I have given the most Economical solution to the problem?????......KISS MY A**..... You are the EXACT reason why the auto Industry is the way it is.....Because No matter how much someone does to help you...You always want More , You always want it cheaper, and You always try to Make your Problems someone else'e fault...Ive had DOZENS of customers in the dealership who have purchased the recall lever over the counter, because the recall didnt apply to their VIN. And They have ALL THANKED ME FOR SAVING THEM THE CASH ON THE SHIFTER ASSEMBLY.....I told you the same thing, from te beginning of this thread, and Repeated it so that a 4 Year old could understand it......And You have the Balls To call me a THIEF.....?????????

I wish you luck with your redesigned aftermarket Parts......You will need it.

A mechanic of 45 years, with engineering and design Knowledge enough to "With Certainty" condemn a Professionally Re-designed "Factory replacement" part. Kudos...Im proud of you...So.... what The F**K are you doing here with a question like this?

To the rest of you....I appreciate the thanks, and If you come to my "Neck " of the woods...You may rest assured, if you visit my dealership you will be treated with all the fairness that I have shown the members of this board. Since this post is likely to get me Banned permanently..It Been a good run...but its time to go.....

From the time I started in the Business...I loved what I do.....But I need to make a living....and you have a broken car that needs to be fixed....Sounds like STONE AGE ,Rudimentary Physics, But people like this ruined it.

To the rst of you...Thank You ......Its been Great.

Rich 09-19-2011 02:17 PM

It's been some time since I replaced the plastic shift lock mech. with an aluminium after market from Billet Tech. Contrary to what one person said about it sheering off the plastic housing, it hasn't happened yet. My 2012 should arrive in a few short weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the housing doesn't sheer off. Additionally, I now have three LED lights on the dash not working. One will work only when tapped. The other two are in the drivers side heater switch and the hazard switch. This is a byproduct of taking apart the dash to change the piece described above. Yes, I was extremely gentle with everything.

tholmes321 02-28-2012 06:57 PM

had gear shifter replaced and car still get stuck in park

My 2005 300C got stuck in park I took it to the dealer and had the gear shifter replaced i picked it up and when I got it home it got stuck in park again I took it back to the dealer they refunded my money that I paid to replace the gear shifter and they informed me that they did not know what the problem was so they did not know how to fix the problem that it could be something electrical has anyone ever had this problem? PLEASE HELP :confused:

ladypdw 03-19-2012 12:20 PM

Shifter Stuck in Park 2005-2007 Chrysler 300 - Campaign K39

On 3/17/12 approximately 9am, my car would not shift out of park. I contacted the dealer and was infored the shifter would need to be replaced. I learned from another repair shop there was a recall issued for the Transmission Shifter Interlock Lever via campaign K39. I informed the dealer of my finding and showed the recall letter and the dealer notification of the recall. I was informed by the dealer, the recall did not obtain to me since my VIN was not registered with the recall!!! Even though I have a 2006 Chrysler 300. I had to assume the fees of $391.23 for the repair. Below is the letter of the recall, that I should have qualified for. I have looked up many complaints from 300 owners who have been victims of this repair and who was forced to pay as well. I am looking into legal action for this matter.

Chrysler consumer letter below;

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION K39
TRANSMISSION SHIFTER INTERLOCK LEVER
Dear: (Name)
At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today and contacting our customers to provide these quality improvements, at no charge, that will help to improve your ownership satisfaction.
We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter. Recommended Service:
The transmission gear shift lever interlock return spring hook on your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may break. A broken interlock return spring hook will result in the inability to move the gear shift lever out of the "PARK" position.
What your dealer will do:
Chrysler will service your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the transmission shifter interlock lever. The work will take about one hour to complete. We recommend that you make an appointment with your dealer to minimize your inconvenience.
What you should do:
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer, at your convenience, to schedule a service appointment. Your dealer will collect the necessary information to ensure that the appropriate parts are available so your service can be completed in a timely manner. Although not required, we recommend bringing this letter with you to your dealer, when you bring your vehicle in for this service.
If you need help:
Please contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.

CHRYSLER TECH 03-19-2012 03:29 PM

whats the last 9 of your vin?

CHRYSLER TECH 03-19-2012 03:32 PM

oh here is the rest of that recall that u as a cust does not see Take note to what was highlighted and in red.

2007 (LX) Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and a floor console transmission shift lever built from June 25, 2007 through September 21, 2007 (MDH062500 through 092113).
2005 - 2007 (LX) Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, a floor console transmission shift lever and had a Mopar Service replacement shift lever installed through June 24, 2007 (MDH 062423).

jabeno3 05-04-2012 04:04 PM

I am sorry I missed the beginning of this thread, it looks like it would have been fun! My '07 Pacifica, built in March of '07, had this same problem. I am not sure why Chrysler would only cover the vehicles mentioned and not this one... I will look into it. The mechanic that fixed mine, (not a Chrysler dealer, but the one I could get to the easiest with me not knowing this problem even existed) did just what someone mentioned. He replaced the entire shift mechanism and charged me accordingly. This seems to be a universal defect, just like the bad motor mounts, (happen on my '04 & '07) you would think if they meant this: "At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today" then this problem would have gone away(?) It also makes me wonder about the rear bumper pan that dis-colors no matter what you do to it. It seems to affect '07s in particular as I see them all of the time. Yet I can find no information on this problem so if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

willy1966 07-09-2013 06:15 PM

chrysler not honoring k39 recall

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 that has this exact problem. When I called the recall Center Chrysler denied there was a recall for this problem for this vehicle. and the car only has 30,000 miles on it. please explain to me someone why my car is not included under this recall. it is clearly the same problem same here same model.I'm not understanding the logic behind this. Sounds like to me Chrysler is not willing to take care of issues.

willy1966 07-09-2013 06:25 PM

chrysler not honoring k39 recall

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 that has this exact problem. When I called the recall Center Chrysler denied there was a recall for this problem for this vehicle. and the car only has 30,000 miles on it. please explain to me someone why my car is not included under this recall. it is clearly the same problem same here same model.I'm not understanding the logic behind this. Sounds like to me Chrysler is not willing to take care of issues.

willy1966 07-09-2013 06:46 PM

Btw. My 2005 Chrysler 300 is an automatic, shift console on the floor. My qyestiobs: (1) why are non mopars excluded (2) what is the other shifter brand/manufacturer (my guess is a company Chrysler cant extract repayment from), and (3) anyone interested in a class action for those of us that have been obviously excluded for some political reason? If Chrysler truly cared about quality they would take care of everyone. This is just their way of appearing as if they are taking care of a problem without actually taking care of it.

CHRYSLER TECH 07-10-2013 04:38 AM

Depends on what your vin number says the recall is not for every chrysler 300
If the recall is not for you vin then its not for your vin that's all there is to it.

Djinn-n-Tonic 07-10-2013 09:53 PM

anyone interested in a class action for those of us that have been obviously excluded for some political reason? If Chrysler truly cared about quality they would take care of everyone. This is just their way of appearing as if they are taking care of a problem without actually taking care of it.
I Just spoke with Sergio , and he wanted you to know that it isnt Political......Its Personal..... He Just doesnt Like YOU.....

Now, the truth of the matter , Only Shifter assemblies from a Specific vendor were recalled..... Unless you are one of the vehicles that were affected by the "FACTORY INSTALLATION " of that specific shifter assembly,(Which is determined by build date, and the sequence # in Your VIN), They are ONLY REQUIRED to cover parts and labor for 36 months ,or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.

whats More.... The Affected shifters were removed, dissasembled and an Updated Pivot was installed. Very Few of them were actually damaged, as I have a drawer full of the old ones that are still in perfect condition. If The Broken Pivot was not the root cause of your shifter Issues, you were S>O>L.

If You really feel strongly enough, Call Chrysler Customer Service Directly. If your chasing Your FREE stuff at someone elses expense....Get in line.

willy1966 07-11-2013 06:33 AM

djinn n tonic cant read nor can he comprehend

Djinn, First of all you obviously can't read because you keep posting the same stupid responses over and over. Secondly, you are totally absent of any logic. Thirdly, your opinion means absolutely nothing. Youre just a bully who is trying to make people think they don't deserve their cars to be repaired by Chrysler. This problem is not normal wear and tear and it is happening to cars with very low mileage. Mine has only 32k , some even less. My vehicle has never gad any aftermarket repairs, ever. This is clearly a factory defect and not at all unreasonable for all these people to expect Chrysler to fix it, at Chrysers expense not the customers. Seriously, you need to go back to grade school and learn to read. And i did call customer service. And the recall center and if I had listened to your cr××, I would be paying for the, repairs. Instead I didnt back down and git Chrysler to fix my car gratis. Even though it doesn't fall under tge illigical recall. And they know its illogical. So you're the type who gives up way to easily.

Longs 09-25-2014 07:48 PM

Failed Interlock

2006 300 Limited, 64,000 miles. This morning I get in the car and it won't shift out of Park. I tried another key, thinking it may be some issue related to that. Nope. I look here and find this thread, which seems to be the most active on the subject of the "pink thingy".

I called Chrysler about the K39 recall, of course my car's not covered. They said that the recall only applied to certain Mopar shifters that were installed, made it sound like it was a recall for a shifter that would have replaced the original shifter, not for the original shifter itself. OK.

I removed the plastic chrome trim around the shifter, just pops off. I was able to see down into the opening. At the end nearest the dash, down inside you can see a cable (like a bike shifter cable) about halfway across. I was able to figure out that by sticking a screwdriver down into the opening on the passenger side of that cable, I could shift the car out of Park by pulling the cable sideways toward the driver side while moving the shift lever out of Park.

I'm going to order a replacement for the Interlock and try to install it myself. It looks like the shifter should come out of the car by removing four bolts on the floor and disconnecting some wires and a couple of cables. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

Longs 10-01-2014 06:51 AM

Finished the job

I ordered the replacement for $15 from rockauto.com and completed the job in about 1-1/2 hours yesterday. This video was EXTREMELY helpful:

I did end up having to pop out the ashtray and heated seat switches, and loosening the entire floor console so that i could get enough clearance to remove the shifter. The console was easy since I had already taken off all of the trim around the shifter - two screws at the front near the ashtray, and three 8mm bolts under the removable bottom in the console box - allowed me to slide it back a few inches.

Once the shifter's out of the car, popping the shifter open to change the interlock mechanism was also easy, as demonstrated in this video:

Shift park lockout mechanisim - YouTube

This was a lot less painful than it could have been, great to have these resources!