Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   SRT8 Mods (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/srt8-mods-2826/)

Nate Dogg 04-04-2007 04:18 PM

SRT8 Mods

Ok, this will seem odd, but here goes...

My dad was considering purchasing a Z06 corvette as his play toy for the weekends, but realized that a 4 door is more what he needs to take his friends etc. out on the town. He really likes the look of the 300 and if he buys he wants the SRT8, nothing less. He's wanting a car that "snaps my head back when I really want to go" and yet have some luxuries that the 300 has to offer. He doesn't like the front grill, and is already planning that when he gets the car to have that changed out right away to a custom grill.

He is also considering putting some more custom wheels and tires on the car also.

My question is this, to upgrade the engine a little bit to have some more HP under the hood, what would be maybe 3-4 basic mods he could do? Cost is not really an issue. I don't know what is even available out there for the 6.1L Hemi, so I don't know what to tell him???

My thoughts if these are available:
Cold air intake kit with high flow filter (maybe K&N or the likes)
Exhast kit
Programmer (do they have one for the 6.1L?)
Brakes (a must have in my book, the faster you go, the better brakes you need to bring it to a stop)

GoofyTimL 04-04-2007 05:14 PM

RE: SRT8 Mods

The brakes are already "track" brakes, i.e., they're aggressive and don't fade much, but they are VERY dusty. DCX has been very stringy with access to the controlling code software so there hasn't been much available. The best at present (according to what I've read) is a PCM with a B&G Flash. As far as CAIs go, most don't do anything but add improved sound on acceleration. The only two that have proved to add HP in the LXs are the AFE Stage2 and the AirHammer by Hammer Motor Sports. With respect to exhaust you also can gain some HP by changing to higher flow CATs, etc.

Beyond that you have to get into the motor with ported/polished headers, etc. Turbo or Superchargers... all of which require a lot of coin.

Nate Dogg 04-04-2007 06:29 PM

K&N is offering a CAI that claims a boost of "upto" 21 HP, although that's a pretty generous guess. I found a chip by Jet Performance that has either a stage 1 or a stage 2 chip, stage 2 chip does require a 180 deg. thermostat and high flow exhaust. They are roughly 20 and 35 HP respectively according to their website. I looked up Magna Flow exhaust, and they have a kit for $1200, that says another 13 HP, so roughly for $2k he could add another 50-60 HP? My only concern is that he will like the added sound of a high flow exhuast, but interior sound he would like to keep it rather quiet, any suggestions?

Thanks for the info above, dust won't be much of a concern as the car will probably only be driven once or twice a week with maybe 50 miles tops.

GoofyTimL 04-04-2007 11:15 PM

With respect to CAI, members at 300Cforums.com and LXforums.com have conducted numerous Intake and Modification Face-Offs and the ONLY CAIs that have shown demonstrable HP gains are the AFE Stage2 and the Air Hammer. My Air Hammer is due to be delivered on Friday. Other CAIs may make power gains on other cars, but they don't on the LXs because the stock intake is pretty darn good as it is, and it takes a "tuned" design and a honkin' big filter to improve upon it.

I don't believe the Jet Chips are designed for the SRT 6.1L engines. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. On the other hand, SRT owners (same forums mentioned above) have given good reviews to the B&G flashes. I have seen a Jet 1 Chip on a Charger SE at a Dyno pull, and it screwed with the A/F ratio so much the owner pulled it out and the car performed better.

Going with a 180 Tstat is worth more power whether you have a chip or not just because of less heat soak. The lower Tstat is even better with a fan mod to ensure you don't go over about 185-190. Although if you NEVER go over 212 you won't flash off the water and volatiles that need to escape the oil for long-term corrosion resistance, etc. So heat is good, just not when you want top power.

If the interior noise get above his comfort level you can always add DynaMatt, or some similar sound deadening insulation to chop it back down... but that's a bit of work for sure. Still many have done it.

Nate Dogg 04-06-2007 03:34 PM

Thanks Goofy, he may end up leaving it completely stock as they are nice cars just the way they are, he is just looking at the fact he was going to buy a corvette and now he is buying a 4 door instead.

GoofyTimL 04-06-2007 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Nate Dogg

Thanks Goofy, he may end up leaving it completely stock as they are nice cars just the way they are, he is just looking at the fact he was going to buy a corvette and now he is buying a 4 door instead.
Yeah... THAT can be a shocker! LOL