Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   suspected coolant problem...help please (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/suspected-coolant-problem-help-please-15239/)

GCookie 07-10-2011 10:34 PM

suspected coolant problem...help please

2006 300. so a few days ago I got the check engine light on a short drive around town. Did the key giggle it gave me 2181 something to do with the coolant system performance. The car has been driving fine, no problems at all not running hot, it went off after a day, but then came back on, so I go to check the coolant reservoir and there is practically zero coolant. And there is a little pink rust lookin resin just outside the reservoir on the hoses. Could the lack of coolant + the what appears to be leak be the reason for the 2181 error? It's confusing because the car seems to be running great. Any suggestions/help/advice would be great. Thank you.

CHRYSLER TECH 07-11-2011 09:06 AM

yes low coolant can cause this issue

GCookie 07-11-2011 11:30 AM

Did key giggle again and got 0128 this time? Getting some coolant today. Is there something I can do about the possible light leak without going to the dealer? And if none of my drives around school are more than 2-3 miles how bad is it to run the car while the coolant is low?

CHRYSLER TECH 07-11-2011 03:35 PM

P0128-THERMOSTAT RATIONALITY
this is more likely the cause of your issue

GCookie 07-13-2011 04:22 PM

would the thermostat being stuck open cause a coolant leak? there is a pink residue around some hosing and stuff to the left of the air filter. The car is not running hot so I am suspecting pipes to be the cause of the leak, i have added coolant to the resevoir and in 2 days it has already dropped about .5 inches. and the 0128 code is still on.

CHRYSLER TECH 07-13-2011 07:09 PM

replace the thermostat

what engine size is this

GCookie 07-14-2011 04:29 PM

2.7L. since my first post i have added coolant to the resevoir. the check engine light turned off 2 days after i added the coolant. however key giggle still gives me the 0128 code still despite the light being off. And i cleaned away the dried coolant around what i THINK is the thermostat housing unit or gasket thing (It is to the left of the air filter and right of the engine. Ran the car a few miles, popped the hood when I got to my destination. and noticed a little bit of coolant forming at the base of the plastic housing unit. It was by no means gushing out, but still it was there. How urgent is this matter to get fixed? I am up at school and dont really have access to the shop a family friend owns back home. Is there a sealant i can use on the base of the plastic housing unit to stop the leak to buy me some time to get it fixed?

CHRYSLER TECH 07-14-2011 09:41 PM

its not a thermostat housing its a bleeder block housing the thermostat is on the side of the 2.7 engine replace the housing if U cant pay some one that can

GCookie 07-15-2011 02:16 PM

ok couple questions. 1) how expensive and how hard is it to replace the bleeder block housing? (esp. since im a novice and dont know only a little about cars) 2) where can i find one at or does it have to be ordered from chrysler? 3)is there any links i can use to help me with this? 4) just for curiosity, where exactly can i find the thermostat on the 2006 2.7L engine? I peeped around under the hood today, couldnt really see anything that looked like a housing for a thermostat (assuming there is a housing for one)...just some plugs here and there around various components....its been impossible to try to find any pictures, diagrams, or videos about the 2.7L engine on the 2006 chrysler 300. the owners manual doesnt do a very good job of detailing where things actually are. Thank you

GCookie 07-15-2011 02:24 PM

*warning* 2.7L coolant leak *warning* - Lx Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum

the pics on that page of the 06 Charger is kinda sorta what im dealing with, dif. layout of the housing (from what i can tell from the pics). the coolant leak on my car isnt that bad, not as much pink crap everywhere. I did some futher reading about a possible glue people used to fix the seams that were leaky?