Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/)
-   -   What is the flat plastic part under the seats? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-300-300c-300c-srt-8-17/what-flat-plastic-part-under-seats-25518/)

zeroeight300 01-08-2016 02:08 PM

What is the flat plastic part under the seats?

Hi all. I just picked up a gorgeous 2008 Chrysler 300 and in looking under the seats—to see if there will be room to put a power amp for a new stereo—I noticed that under the front passenger seat (and the driver's as well) there is a flat, hollow plastic part that is just sort of flimsily screwed to the floor, and it doesn't seem to be serving any purpose that I can tell.

Can anyone tell me what that is? If I could remove it, there would be plenty of room for a power amp.

thanks!

UltraNutZ 01-09-2016 09:15 AM

likely to be duct work for your ac/heat

zeroeight300 01-09-2016 09:47 AM

Thanks. What worries me about that, then, as the location for a power amp is that when I turn the heat on, it would heat up the amp if the vents setting was pointed to a setting that blows in the lower vents. Unless I could block it or something. I suppose I could make sure to never turn the vents to the "feet" position...

UltraNutZ 01-09-2016 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by zeroeight300 (Post 93401)
Thanks. What worries me about that, then, as the location for a power amp is that when I turn the heat on, it would heat up the amp if the vents setting was pointed to a setting that blows in the lower vents. Unless I could block it or something. I suppose I could make sure to never turn the vents to the "feet" position...

it's raining here so I can't go out and look at mine but what I've done in the past (just did a Nissan Titan a few days ago like this) is if there is enough room under the seat, is build the platform up using black 1/2" PVC from home depot. This allow you to mount the amp "above" the existing duct work and I've never had a problem with heat since it's not blowing directly onto the amp and you have a space between bottom of amp and ductwork for air to flow.

Formufit 1/2 in. x 5 ft. Furniture Grade Sch. 40 PVC Pipe in Black-P012FGP-BK-5 - The Home Depot

zeroeight300 01-09-2016 11:00 AM

Yeah thank you but the plastic part is taking up enough of the space that I was thinking of taking it out just to make room for an amp. There isn't anywhere near enough room for the part and the amp and a platform.

Great tip for someone who has more inches of vertical room under their seat, though.

Starting to look like I'm going to have to put the power amp in the trunk, which I guess just means longer wire runs to the front door speakers and head unit.

zeroeight300 01-09-2016 11:06 AM

What if I took out the piece and blocked whatever kind of duct is feeding to it—wouldn't that prevent air/heat from coming up to it anymore since it would be seeking other outlets (airflow dynamics)?

dcotter0579 01-09-2016 06:29 PM

That duct is to provide heat to the rear passengers. If you never have passengers back there in cold weather, it's not a problem. If you do ride people in the back seat, then the choice is them or the amp.

zeroeight300 01-09-2016 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 (Post 93410)
That duct is to provide heat to the rear passengers. If you never have passengers back there in cold weather, it's not a problem. If you do ride people in the back seat, then the choice is them or the amp.

Right, the amp wins no problem... but what I'm wondering is, is it going to be safe to just set the amp right on top of whatever ducting is attached to the flat distribution piece. And should I or should I not plug that duct line with something to prevent heat coming out of it despite the distribution piece being gone? Thanks

dcotter0579 01-09-2016 09:49 PM

I would put a little insulation and a thin metal heat shield over the duct. Heater output is warm but not super hot. Most of the heat will carry through to the rear compartment. The amp puts out a fair amount of heat and is designed to operate in its own heat. Make sure the amps cooling vents are clear and it should be okay. If in doubt, check with the amp's manufacturer.
You may actually be better off letting the duct flow as designed. The moving air will drag a little cabin air with it and keep the area under the seat ventilated. Plugging it could prevent air from moving as much.