Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   08 Aspen dash brake light comes on (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/08-aspen-dash-brake-light-comes-19452/)

Red_5 04-09-2013 05:36 PM

08 Aspen dash brake light comes on

The dash brake light on my 08 Aspen with Hemi and towing package comes on after driving for awhile. Pulling the brake release doesn't seem to do anything. The first time it happened, the brake fluid was low but still above minimum. I added fluid and the light went off. We drove it on some local trips without it turning on but it turned on again when my wife took it on a 6 hour trip to Mammoth. Brake fluid is still full. Pads all look good and I can't find any leaks at the calipers. I'd at least like to have an idea of the problem before taking it to a dealership. Thanks for any ideas.

Djinn-n-Tonic 04-09-2013 05:56 PM

All jokes aside.........

The plastic reservoir on the Master cylinder needs a SMACK.....

There is a magnetic reed switch at the bottom of the reservoir that gets gummed up and sticks . Hard cornering , bumpy roads, etc, will make the float bounce and momentarily contact the reed switch. if trhe switch doesnt release in a specified time interval, the CCN module will see this as a low fluid fault, and turn your light on.

Giving it a firm whack will dislodge any debris that may bind up the reed. If not, Replace the master cylinder.

Red_5 04-10-2013 07:49 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Red_5 04-17-2013 12:41 PM

The hammer idea didn't seem to work. I fully bled the system going through a large container of brake fluid - don't know if it has ever been bled before. The old fluid looked pretty bad so hopefully that was the culprit. So far I haven't been able to get the light to turn on but I haven't been on a long trip yet either.

Red_5 05-16-2013 11:36 AM

The light has been coming on but only after a 1/2 hour or so of driving. Goes off if you stop and start but then kicks on after another 1/2 hour.

So research is leading me toward an ABS sensor not functioning properly. Any thoughts?

Jamel Barnes 05-29-2013 11:33 PM

Me Too

Did you ever find the fix? Just took my Aspen to dealership today but they could not see any issue. They topped off the brake fluid and told me to bring it back if needed...well bore I got home the light came back on..

Thanks

Red_5 05-30-2013 08:42 AM

No, still have the light. We don't drive the Aspen daily so it's not a priority. I think it has to do with the ABS sensors.

Did the dealership try to pull any codes? I was wondering if the brake system has trouble codes.

Labam02 10-16-2013 12:34 AM

Just bought 2008 Aspen Limted 4x4 used..and the brake light is doing the same as described above. Very intermittently. The BRAKE warning light comes on after a short time driving and stays on until turned off. When I turn it back on...no light. Owned this vehicle for one week and has done this 2x now. Taking into dealership in the am. Hopefully the issue can be diagnosed and resolved.

Red_5 10-16-2013 08:13 AM

Let me know what they have to say.

The brake light in our Aspen now only seems to come on when towing. I'm wondering if it's just an issue with the brake connector wiring.

ChryslerCares 10-29-2013 09:57 AM

Check the O-ring on the master cylinder and make sure it is not damaged. This can cause the light to turn on intermittently.