Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   20" stock rims denting (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/20-stock-rims-denting-14939/)

Halifax5.7 06-13-2011 03:12 PM

20" stock rims denting

Hi all,

Is it just me or has anyone else having this problem. I have owned my Aspen for 4 years now and have had 3 incidents where I have had a dented rim that leads to loss of air in the tire. The dealer cover a new rim the first time and the other 2 I was able to have repaired. A new rim was quoted at $1100 plus tax(not even real chrome) Great truck over all and plan to keep it a couple more years.

PS the roads do suck here and try to avoid potholes the best i can.

15951a\ 06-13-2011 09:37 PM

We had one get dented badly, which resulted in a flat and a new tire and wheel. I think an encounter with a curb caused the problem.

These are sturdy wheels, so all I can tell you is that you might be better off with smaller, cheaper wheels that you can more easily replace. Higher profile tires will help absorb some of the shock as well.

In the meantime, don't pay the dealer so much for a wheel! Order from something like this:

Finish Line Wheels - Chrysler Aspen

or this:

2008 Chrysler Aspen Rims

or this:

Detroit Wheel and Tire: 2008 Chrysler Aspen Wheels

Halifax5.7 06-14-2011 05:48 AM

Thanks for the reply and the great links ! I know I/ my wife have cut a few corners touched curb edges. Since the vehicle is on a lease I have to return it in original condition, so I never considered aftermarket rims. Looks like I will be buying out the lease so this gives me excellent options for rim replacement when ready.

tinman 06-14-2011 09:57 AM

You might get a set of "cheap" rims for your winter driving with winter tires and then have your better rims with different warm weather tires for your summer driving. Put them on after they fix your roads.

Go Bruins!

Halifax5.7 06-15-2011 04:13 AM

where I live in Nova Scotia (Canada) they fixed the potholes in late May this year.....it rained for 2 months so the crews could not get out. some were so deep they had them marked with an orange cone sitting in the hole! Looking at replacing all shocks as well this year....will check the forum for suggestions.

tinman 06-15-2011 08:06 AM

Bilsteins.

All I have read on this forum and some Durango forums highly recommend them. There are others, but these are apparently the best. Check them out.

15951a\ 06-19-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by tinman (Post 51039)
Bilsteins.

All I have read on this forum and some Durango forums highly recommend them. There are others, but these are apparently the best. Check them out.

New shocks aren't going to keep his wheels from denting if he slams a pothole or curb.

Halifax5.7 06-20-2011 06:13 AM

I ordered the Bilstiens last week. My problem was when I went over expansion joints the steering would feel loose in my hand and the vehicle would seem to loose traction a bit. Washboard surfaces were bad as well. I read posts where people had replaced shocks at 14,000 miles saying they were not that great right from the factory. I am hoping this takes care of the problem. My2002 Jeep GC does not do this so I am hoping this will be a quick fix.

tinman 06-21-2011 08:02 AM

Please let us know how everything turns out...