Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2007 Aspen Power Liftgate will not close (automatically nor manually)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Default 2007 Aspen Power Liftgate will not close (automatically nor manually)

As said in title! I am thinking that the latch assembly is bad, but when I close the hatch manually, it will not engage the lock to keep it closed. Also, I cannot use the fob button or the overhead button towards the front of the car. The headlights flash as if it's thinking, but then nothing. As I said, it won't let me close it manually either. I lock the vehicle, can open liftgate without even touching the exterior handle as the latch is not engaged what so ever. Please help, I have searched for a solution, but everyone has a problem of opening, not closing.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Richdominance91
As said in title! I am thinking that the latch assembly is bad, but when I close the hatch manually, it will not engage the lock to keep it closed. Also, I cannot use the fob button or the overhead button towards the front of the car. The headlights flash as if it's thinking, but then nothing. As I said, it won't let me close it manually either. I lock the vehicle, can open liftgate without even touching the exterior handle as the latch is not engaged what so ever. Please help, I have searched for a solution, but everyone has a problem of opening, not closing.
Not sure but sounds like either the lock actuator or the lock mechanism itself. Locking and staying closed when unlocking and unlocked stick open when you hit the lock button?

I would take the plastic covering off the hatch and investigate inside. See if the metal rod that is attached to the actuator is loose or something is broken with it. But I'm not sure how it's setup in there. (if it's like a traditional door actuator or something else more elaborate)

It's possible the latch itself needs cleaned and re-greased or some spring on it is broken as well.

Also came across this....not sure if it applies but it's possible.

I don't think chrysler changed up the lift gates much for the models that had them from 2007 to 2012 or so much. So maybe expand the search to that and other models as well it might help because they would have similar problems/fixes. I'll let you know if I come across anything else.

Does it lock/latch when you hold the latch closed and press the button? So unlock position hold close...press whatever locks it? (if my assumption that the lock is keeping it from latching is right)

Last edited by themps; 03-14-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:41 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Richdominance91
I'm having the same issue. 2007 Aspen hatch will not "lock", so the battery will drain. Hoping someone has a solution/fix!!!