Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Gas overflow at fillup

Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Default Gas overflow at fillup

UPDATE -- **SEE POST #43 ON THIS THREAD FOR UPDATED INFORMATION -- CHRYSLER IS REPAIRING THIS DEFECT FREE OF CHARGE -- https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...5/#post58479**

For the past few months, our Aspen has been overflowing gas at the end of fillup. The pump shuts off as it should, but then gas overflows out. We are not topping off - this happens with the first shutoff of the gas pump.

I did some research, and found an old post on this forum from someone else having the problem. There was no final resolution to the issue posted. I also found a recall that was issued in February 2009 for this exact issue, but the recall was limited to a certain VIN range of 2005 Durangos.

I suspect the recall is ignoring the issue in newer vehicles until the NHTSA receives enough complaints to warrant additional corrective action. To that end, I have already filed a complaint with the NHTSA. This is a safety issue, and needs to be addressed.

Of course, this started 1,000 miles out of warranty, so we're SOL with Chrysler. I'm surprised they wouldn't want to jump on this, given the nature of the problem and the obvious safety issue.

Please let me know if anyone else is having this problem, if you were able to get Chrysler to repair it, and what the repair was. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by 15951a\; 01-30-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
For the past few months, our Aspen has been overflowing gas at the end of fillup. The pump shuts off as it should, but then gas overflows out. We are not topping off - this happens with the first shutoff of the gas pump.

I did some research, and found an old post on this forum from someone else having the problem. There was no final resolution to the issue posted. I also found a recall that was issued in February 2009 for this exact issue, but the recall was limited to a certain VIN range of 2005 Durangos.

I suspect the recall is ignoring the issue in newer vehicles until the NHTSA receives enough complaints to warrant additional corrective action. To that end, I have already filed a complaint with the NHTSA. This is a safety issue, and needs to be addressed.

Of course, this started 1,000 miles out of warranty, so we're SOL with Chrysler. I'm surprised they wouldn't want to jump on this, given the nature of the problem and the obvious safety issue.

Please let me know if anyone else is having this problem, if you were able to get Chrysler to repair it, and what the repair was. Thanks for your help.
Our 2007 Aspen has 43,000 miles and has never had the issue. In most cases when the auto shut off occurs I can put about another gallon of fuel in the tank.
Sorry I can't help.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 PM

I have a 08 aspen, no such problems so far, matter of fact just filled it up today.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM

The "burping" problem may be caused by the slope of the driveway at the gas station. If the filler pipe is on the low side of the car, I can envision an air bubble getting trapped in there and pushing some gas back out the filler tube. Try parking the other way, or filling up somewhere else.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The "burping" problem may be caused by the slope of the driveway at the gas station. If the filler pipe is on the low side of the car, I can envision an air bubble getting trapped in there and pushing some gas back out the filler tube. Try parking the other way, or filling up somewhere else.
This has happened at at least 5 different gas stations on random pumps. I'm in Florida, so the slope isn't usually more than a few %. Also, this never happened before 2-3 months ago.

We're not talking about a little 'burp' here where just a little gas leaks out. The pump shuts off, and then a good bit of gas pours out and leaves a puddle on the ground. It's a safety issue for sure.

I contacted Chrysler about the problem, and they want me to pay the dealer diagnostic fee (around $100), and then they will consider paying part of the repair fee. In my opinion, the fact that there was a recent recall for this same problem on a different model year, and the life/safety issue make this an issue Chrysler should be willing to repair free of charge with no questions asked.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
This has happened at at least 5 different gas stations on random pumps. I'm in Florida, so the slope isn't usually more than a few %. Also, this never happened before 2-3 months ago.

We're not talking about a little 'burp' here where just a little gas leaks out. The pump shuts off, and then a good bit of gas pours out and leaves a puddle on the ground. It's a safety issue for sure.

I contacted Chrysler about the problem, and they want me to pay the dealer diagnostic fee (around $100), and then they will consider paying part of the repair fee. In my opinion, the fact that there was a recent recall for this same problem on a different model year, and the life/safety issue make this an issue Chrysler should be willing to repair free of charge with no questions asked.

I have a 2008 and it does burp gas all over the place as well.. Its going in on Tuesday for a list of things this was added to the list.

I have owned Dodge/Chrysler products since 1999 buying a new one every year and this by far is the worst one yet...

Old 12-31-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Shreve T
I have a 2008 and it does burp gas all over the place as well.. Its going in on Tuesday for a list of things this was added to the list.

I have owned Dodge/Chrysler products since 1999 buying a new one every year and this by far is the worst one yet...
Shreve, if you could post the results after you go to the dealer, I'd really appreciate it. I'm just out of warranty, and they want an arm and a leg just to glance at it.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM

I've got the exact same problem, I'm in Chicago area, heading to the dealer on Saturday. Doesn't matter what gas station I'm at, happens 100% of the time. I'm way out of warranty (51k on 2007), but I need to get this fixed. I'll be writing the customer arbitration board for reimbursement (it worked in the past on other safety issues outside of warranty). I'll post solution once it's fixed....

Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM

New gas tank is the fix. The service guy said there's a check valve inside the neck of gas tank that prevents the gas from backing up and out if at the gas station when the pump stops or if the vehicle is involved in a rollover collision. He's seen this before in the recent past and the only correction is a new gas tank. The check valve gets stuck in the open position. The service manager said he'd get Chrysler to pick up the tab but I'd have to pay the $100 deductible since I'm at 52k miles. New tank arrives on Tuesday and will get installed on Wednesday. I may try the customer arbitration board to get the $100 back, but otherwise this should fix the issue. I trust the dealer, been going there for years and they're very honest and friendly.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:54 PM

thewoj1 - thanks for the great information. One question: You mention a $100 deductable. Does that mean you have an extended warranty with a deductable, or was the dealer just asking you to pay that amount to have the repair done?

Thanks again - I'm hopeful we can get this replaced for free, as it's a real safety issue and likely the subject of a future recall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas overflow at fillup