Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   2008 aspen valve failure (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/2008-aspen-valve-failure-24361/)

Pprior 05-05-2015 09:57 PM

2008 aspen valve failure

New to the forum and looking foe some help if possible.
Wife was driving her car back from dealer after having oil changed and car starts to surge on her. She said she heard a ticking sound and then the car shut off. Gets towed back to the dealer and after 4 days the dealer states it's a broken valve spring and needs a new motor to the tune of 6800 bucks. Car has 87k miles and been serviced at the dealer all the time along with the scheduled PMs. Extended warranty ran out last year. Any info or help is appreciated

15951a\ 05-06-2015 10:19 AM

That sucks -- sorry to hear about that. I don't understand why they don't repair, rather than replacing the engine. Unless, of course, the engine seized because they didn't put oil in it before your wife drove it off.

I'd have it towed to an independent mechanic and have it repaired, assuming it is really a broken valve spring. By the way, a remanufactured 5.7 Hemi (you didn't say which engine you have) is around $3k + installation, or much more if done at the dealer. Valve springs are around $200 + installation, or much more if done at the dealer.

I assume you're not the original owner, or this would've been covered under the lifetime powertrain warranty.

Pprior 05-06-2015 11:36 AM

Yes we are the original owner

15951a\ 05-06-2015 11:47 AM

If that's the case, this repair shouldn't cost you anything:

New Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty - Cars, Minivans, SUVs, Crossovers - Warranties

With this in mind, why did you buy an extended warranty?

Pprior 05-06-2015 12:51 PM

thank you very much, I owe you.
Pete

pk911 05-07-2015 02:19 PM

just a follow up on this adventure. now they are telling me there is no record of the 5 year drive train inspection yet they were told at the 5 yr mark when the extended warranty was expiring to do whatever needs to be done and fix what needs to be fixed, which they did to the tune of 1k.

Now this afternoon, the dealer rep says they cannot do anything at the dealer, it has to be approved by Chrysler and he will send me a number to call. just another run around. I will call Chrysler and see what happens.
Pete

pk911 05-07-2015 02:51 PM

so far chrysler warranty says they cannot do anything either because we did not specifically ask for a powertrain inspection. what a freaking pile of crap.

ChryslerCares 05-07-2015 03:34 PM

Hi pk911,

Could you please PM me with your VIN#, contact information, and the name of the dealership you have been working with throughout this process so that I can look into your concerns?

pk911 05-07-2015 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares (Post 88976)
Hi pk911,

Could you please PM me with your VIN#, contact information, and the name of the dealership you have been working with throughout this process so that I can look into your concerns?

CC I cannot send you a pm. My email is pkmp911@comcast.net.

pk911 05-07-2015 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares (Post 88976)
Hi pk911,

The dealer is Tallahassee Chrysler Dodge, the only one, vin is 1a8hx58n08f1510560. See email above for email and I will send phone # if you need it. Thank you in advance.
Pete