Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   2009 chrysler Aspen hybrid only one click but does not start (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/2009-chrysler-aspen-hybrid-only-one-click-but-does-not-start-30708/)

curiousv 05-10-2019 06:22 PM

2009 chrysler Aspen hybrid only one click but does not start

2009 Chrysler was out of fuel so died and won't start...fill with gas ..still no start

Now it makes one click / thumping noise as if it wants to start but dont start..

Should I consider starter as culprit? or something else? if its start can someone post a picture of starter location?

Is it possible that when it was out of fuel .....it sucked crud/junk from bottom of fuel tank and caused fuel pump/filter to go bad and that is why it won't start?

calamity coyote 05-11-2019 12:16 PM

If it cranks and cranks but does not fire I would say it was fuel related. Some vehicles even have a fuel reset switch which trips when you run out of fuel to protect the fuel pump. This switch requires resetting if you ran it out of fuel. I do not know if the Aspen has this or not. This would require research.

Due to the fact that you say it is only "Clicking / Thumping" makes me think you are hearing the starter solenoid activating, but not engaging the starter. My fathers Civic just recently did the same thing. It was the starter as I suspect is the same for you.

curiousv 05-22-2019 10:08 AM

No it did not crank at all and now its making noise from under the remote battery post area

themps 05-22-2019 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by curiousv (Post 110545)
Noise coming from under the remote battery post area
No it did not crank at all and now its making noise from under the remote battery post area

is that on the drivers side? If so I'm pretty sure the starter is under that. I would lay under it and listen to it from underneath while someone tries starting it. I would bet it's the starter with stripped gears or something.

I didn't know the aspen had a remote battery terminal though. EDIT oh yeah hybrid does mine doesn't.

calamity coyote 05-23-2019 04:59 AM

Wow. That sounds like an air compressor running. Never heard a starter sound like that before. I guess it could if like themps says the gears are stripped out. Usually when a starter goes out though it just locks up and all you hear is a single click from the solenoid trying to activate it.

curiousv 05-23-2019 10:13 AM

Yes it is air compressor ...because a hose is connected to it ...when I remove it...the noise gets louder and longer...
But why would it gets engaged when I just open the door..I am not even trying to turn the key or put in ignition.

Further...can it cause it not to start?

Now I see a HEV indicator on dash......what does it indicate..when I check the navigation radio to check hybrid system ..it says
system is off

calamity coyote 05-24-2019 04:58 AM

Okay, does the 09' Hybrid have air suspension? Didn't know any of the Aspens had an air compressor. I know mine doesn't. Only reason I know for needing one is for suspension. It should not be engaging simply by opening a door. It should require the key being turned on. Compressors pull some power and can drain the battery if the motor isn't running to charge.

In any case, sounds like you may have a deeper electrical problem. Possibly a PCM or ECM going bad. May need to take this one to the professionals.

themps 05-25-2019 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote (Post 110566)
Okay, does the 09' Hybrid have air suspension? Didn't know any of the Aspens had an air compressor. I know mine doesn't. Only reason I know for needing one is for suspension. It should not be engaging simply by opening a door. It should require the key being turned on. Compressors pull some power and can drain the battery if the motor isn't running to charge.

In any case, sounds like you may have a deeper electrical problem. Possibly a PCM or ECM going bad. May need to take this one to the professionals.

I don't think it has air suspension. Unless it is some aftermarket add on. That's a really weird noise. Almost like a relay going nuts. I mean I suppose it could by the vapor pump or purge solenoid thing that I replaced but it seems like you'd probably hear that and find it it is right up top. I found this part that I think is specific to the hybrids (I think?). https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/a...ng-system-scat
#1 5192031AD Auxiliary Pump

But this one is a mystery. Dealer would be the place to take it I think.

Clayhardock 11-19-2019 03:13 AM

No air suspension. What you are hearing is either the Vacuum pump for the fuel vapors emissions system or maybe the electric brake booster pump. Neither are your problem. This vehicle does not have a conventional starter. The engine started with the electric motor in the transmission.

Did you possibly run the 12v battery down by leaving the key on or the 4 flashers after running out of fuel? The vehicle still needs a good charge to run the electronics for the engine to start. Try giving it a boost or charging the battery.

Beyond that you'll need to get the codes out to see what's up with the hybrid system. You can try the cycle key 3 times trick but most hybrid codes are not displayed this way.

Clay

curiousv 11-19-2019 03:17 AM

I tried with brand new fully charged 12v battery but nothing changed...
Question - If hybrid system or hybrid battery has a problem ...can it still start just relying on 12v?

Remember its dual mode so it should run only on gas ..or in other words ...it should run like a non-hybrid car correct?