Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   2nd row captainchairs/center console (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/2nd-row-captainchairs-center-console-15427/)

smashcroft 07-28-2011 07:35 PM

2nd row captainchairs/center console

Does the center console in the 2nd row Captain chairs of a '07 aspen come out? If it does, does the chair and chair latches still function properly with the console removed? I have car seats and I want our 3rd kid to be able to access the 3rd row with out folding the seats ahead. Thank you for your time.

BigboyG206 08-03-2011 07:09 PM

The console does come I guess since the Aspen did offer a 8 passenger version. The seats are independent of the console. The only thing I can think of that would prevent the center console from being removed is if you have the heated seat option in the center row. The console hold the buttons for the heat control.

tinman 08-04-2011 08:23 AM

I took the time to check my FSM and either it isn't in there or there was some operator error. While I can't believe it, most probably it was the latter.

15951a\ 08-04-2011 07:42 PM

Yes, you can.

1. Take out the liner for the cup holders.
2. Take out both screws under the liner.
3. Use a flat bladed tool and pop out the trim panel that surrounds the heated seat switches.
4. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
5. Open the console lid, take out the two screws by the hinge.
6. Remove the side screws on the left and right at the base of the console (exterior, screwed into floor).
7. Remove console.
8. Reconsider, and put everything back together.

I have the center console/captain's chairs as well. The jack is stored under there, and you're going to need to remove that (and its fasteners, etc.) too. It's going to look unfinished, and you're going to have plugs and wires looking lonely without heated seat switches. The kids will likely stomp on these and break them as they're tripping over what's left of the jack assembly.

I understand your reasoning, but if you want a minivan, you should get one rather than doing this.

kkreit01 08-05-2011 07:33 AM

I say it's just as quick to flip the seats forward vs. walking to the middle of the car, and then back. I really think access to the 3rd row is quite easy.

Tony Owen 12-29-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by smashcroft (Post 52754)
Does the center console in the 2nd row Captain chairs of a '07 aspen come out? If it does, does the chair and chair latches still function properly with the console removed? I have car seats and I want our 3rd kid to be able to access the 3rd row with out folding the seats ahead. Thank you for your time.

Did you ever remove the console? Do you want to sell it.

smashcroft 12-30-2011 05:01 AM

Well in the end I did buy the Aspen It was an '07 Limited. The console did/did not come out. To explain, the plastic cosmetic skin with the 12V plug and heated seat switches comes out easily and with the wiring having harness' everywhere it was easy to unplug them and hide the tails.
There is however a metal skeleton underneath the plastic that is spot welded to a 1" bar running the width of the vehicle and then curves down either side of the console with a bolt to the frame and a hoop to lock the seat in place. Basically at the end of it all I zip cut the 2 spot welds and the plate/bolt off and removed the skeleton. It took some handyness and nerve but it is now open and looks finished with the exception of the 1"bar (which you don't notice to be non-factory). In time as my rug rats grow or I trade up the console can easily be re-installed with 4-6 small spot welds that will be covered by the plastic skin. Tony, are you interested in the console or the whole SUV?

Tony Owen 12-30-2011 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by smashcroft (Post 57160)
Well in the end I did buy the Aspen It was an '07 Limited. The console did/did not come out. To explain, the plastic cosmetic skin with the 12V plug and heated seat switches comes out easily and with the wiring having harness' everywhere it was easy to unplug them and hide the tails.
There is however a metal skeleton underneath the plastic that is spot welded to a 1" bar running the width of the vehicle and then curves down either side of the console with a bolt to the frame and a hoop to lock the seat in place. Basically at the end of it all I zip cut the 2 spot welds and the plate/bolt off and removed the skeleton. It took some handyness and nerve but it is now open and looks finished with the exception of the 1"bar (which you don't notice to be non-factory). In time as my rug rats grow or I trade up the console can easily be re-installed with 4-6 small spot welds that will be covered by the plastic skin. Tony, are you interested in the console or the whole SUV?

I am interested in the console, i have an 07 and would like to maybe if it was mechanically possible remove the center seat and put the console there and also add manual or powered seat track

ANGEG 06-14-2016 08:40 PM

2nd row center seat

if you took/take yours out would like to sell? would it work to switch out the center console for the center seat?