Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   Aspen went dead at red light (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/aspen-went-dead-red-light-26503/)

skid2964 09-08-2016 03:15 AM

Aspen went dead at red light

My wife says the Aspen went dead as she depressed the accelerator pedal. It cranked right back up but sputtered a bit on the way home and she described having to sometimes use more more pedal to go the same speed as usual.

It seems fine now, no codes, well at least the check engine light isn't on. We still have the ABS issue I can't afford to fix right now. Are there known issues that would cause this or did we get some bad gasoline? I did fill up earlier in the day.

'07 Aspen, 4.7 Flex, 2WD, 99K Miles....

calamity coyote 09-08-2016 12:56 PM

I have had this happen to me twice. The first time was while on a trip to Austin from Dallas for the weekend. Gas gauge was down below a quarter so I stopped for gas. After, I pulled out from the station to the red light and truck died. Started back up and died again. Started again and gave it some gas to keep running. Once light went green, I took off and it ran fine the rest of the trip.

Second time, I was on my way home. Again, gas gauge was below a quarter so I filled up at the closest gas station to me (about 10 miles from home). After fill up, I drove to the house. As I slowed down on our country road to turn on to our private road, it died on me again. Right in the middle of the turn. No power brakes or power steering. Played hell making that turn without ending up in the ditch. Once stopped, I put the truck in neutral and started up again. Drove fine the rest of the way home.

I also had no check engine light on with both instances. However, when I got home the second time I checked it anyway with my code reader and got a C121C code (Torque Request Signal Denied). From what I'm reading about this code, it could be the PCM or the ABS module. In both cases I was not braking hard. In the first case, I was barely doing 5 mph from the exit of the gas station to the red light. I recommend checking for codes just in case if you have a reader.

I had the filler neck replaced a few months before this started happening to resolve the gas cap code. I also had them replace the #6 coil pack (was suppose to be the #6 MDS solenoid) and replaced all the plugs. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. One thing I have noticed is that it only did it if I let the tank get down below a quarter and fill up. So I try not to let it get down that low and I haven't had it happen since. The problem here is with it being so random, it's hard to duplicate which make it difficult to troubleshoot.

Would be interested to see if anyone else has experienced this or found a solution. However, I don't think it is bad gas as mine happened with two different stations several hundred miles apart.