Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   A/C heater control module calibration help (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/c-heater-control-module-calibration-help-26174/)

pcc 06-18-2016 01:51 PM

A/C heater control module calibration help

My son & I finished replacing a leaking ac evaporator core on the wife's 07 Aspen earlier this week. Even though I took lots of pictures and thought I had all the blend doors back in the same place, apparently I didn't. Now I'm getting heat on the passenger side and cool air on the drivers side so I'm assuming the blend doors are off.

In another area of the forum I read that my solution may be as simple as a AC/heater recalibration. I've tried the ignition on and press the AC on and recirculation buttons several times but nothing happens.

Is there a different AC/heater calibration procedure for the aspen/ SUVs than for other Chrysler products or maybe a different procedure for dual AC units? It's freaking hot here in GA right now and my wife needs err must have the a/c so I can get my truck back.

Was going to bypass the heater core altogether like I did on my scrambler until winter gets here but there's not enough room due to use of rigid tube and the location of the hoses connecting on the firewall.

I have worn out google trying different search terms with no results, anyone here know or have the right terms that I can search for?

If not, anyone know if its the blend doors right beside the heater core in the pic below that are causing the problem, I can adjust those without having to get the system evacuated and pull the whole box out again. I'm afraid if it's one of the doors on the drivers side I'll have to pull the box.

Thanks PCC

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8r...0=w532-h944-no

pcc 06-20-2016 05:00 PM

Anyone know about the calibration or door positions? I'm going start taking it apart again tomorrow if not.

calamity coyote 06-20-2016 06:23 PM

Sorry, but I looked in both my owners manual and service manual and found nothing about calibration. Not saying their isn't one, but the info is not available in any manual I have. Unfortunately I have the manual A/C controller so I can't compare mine to yours either.

pcc 06-20-2016 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote (Post 95962)
Sorry, but I looked in both my owners manual and service manual and found nothing about calibration. Not saying their isn't one, but the info is not available in any manual I have. Unfortunately I have the manual A/C controller so I can't compare mine to yours either.

Thanks for checking coyote, below is the recalibration procedure I found on another forum, it says its for mini vans but figured I'd give it a try. The guy that posted it said there may be other procedures for other chrysler vehicles but he's no longer active on that forum.

The blend and mode doors on late model Chrysler vehicles are driven by DC servo motors. If the motors get out of synchronization, the control head doesn’t know where they are. That can result in cold air when you command heat and vice versa. It can also screw up where the air blows.
Here’s how to perform a calibration routine on Caravan, Voyager, and Town and Country. It works on many other Chrysler products as well.
1. Turn Ignition switch to ON
2) Press both the POWER and RECIRCULATE buttons at the SAME time and HOLD for at least 5 seconds.
3) The POWER and RECIRCULATION lights will flash
4) Calibration should take about about 2 minutes to complete if you have heater control and about 20-seconds if you have Automatic Temp Control system.
5) If lights continue to flash AFTER 3 minutes (manual system) or 20-seconds (Auto system), the control unit has detected a failure. You need a scan tool to pull the trouble codes (Thanks Chrysler). If there’s a trouble code stored, the lights will CONTINUE to flash until the unit completes a successful calibration OR until the vehicle has driven 8 miles.

calamity coyote 06-21-2016 12:07 AM

Glad you found that. Hope it works for you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Sadly their just isn't enough talk on the Aspens here due to the lack of production and users. On another note, speaking on other forums, you may want to check out dodgedurango.net and see if you can find anything on this under their 2nd gen Durango section. That is if that procedure doesn't work. Although the Durango does have some differences than our Aspens, their are many similarities. So they may have already addressed this on there and it may work for you. Good luck and let us know if you do find a solution in case anyone else comes across this problem.

tripddd 02-06-2017 12:23 PM

HVAC air doors

Hi pcc, I know this is late and you're long done by now. I'm having a similar problem so I'm curious how it worked out for you. If you got the calibration instructions from Rick's Free Auto Repair Advice he also has an active website and Facebook page... I was going to try those next if the cal procedure doesn't work which based on your report it sounds like it won't!