Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   code p3425 and a Big headache (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/code-p3425-big-headache-24478/)

maxtorbadass 05-26-2015 07:01 PM

code p3425 and a Big headache

Hi all new to this site

Have a couple questions concerning my 2008 aspen,

First is today the mds stopped working and found a code p3425, my question is I have a rather long trip to take in a few days and am wondering if running the Aspen with the mds malfunction will hurt anything? I am running 5w20 oil so that not the issue.

Second question is can a walworld brand synthetic 5w20 cause problems like this. I have had way to many problems with this since purchasing from gas cap message to egr valve to random missfire (p0300) and now this......

15951a\ 05-26-2015 07:15 PM

I assume you already know that the code means you have an issue with the MDS solenoid on cylinder 4. Assuming you just need a new solenoid, it's a pretty easy repair.

I would expect that running the engine with this code would just keep you from going into 4 cyl mode, but I'm not positive. Make sure it isn't an oil level/pressure issue causing the MDS issue, as that will cause other issues. What was causing the P0300?

As long as the oil you're using is the proper weight and has the API seal on the bottle -- and I can't imagine a 5w20 oil wouldn't -- you should be in good shape.

maxtorbadass 05-26-2015 07:22 PM

ok thank you for the reply, and yes I know it is related to that solenoid and the solution is to replace it just am worried to take a 1,300 mile one way trip with it this way and do not wanna have any issues on the road.

maxtorbadass 05-26-2015 07:23 PM

other than the solenoid being bad what else could cause this code other than the solenoid?

maxtorbadass 05-26-2015 07:28 PM

the p0300 code was related to the plugs being bad which i replaced along with a 02 sensor bank 1 malfunction which I replaced as well and now no more missfire....

maxtorbadass 05-26-2015 07:30 PM

when I got the truck there was just the evap code along with a egr code when I took off the egr it looked ok but found out whoever did replace it never put on any gaskets on one side, there was none, which I assumed caused the plugs to fowl out and then caused the o2 to go bad.

The codes just keep coming though which is frustrating to me...

maxtorbadass 05-26-2015 07:45 PM

also could it be the oil filter i choose? I always used a bosch premium in my Denali I had with no issues other than better oil pressure which was good.

I was thinking maybe it was because I changed the oil with wallyworld synthetic 5w20 and a bosch filter, that maybe the sythetic caused sludge to loosen and or maybe the bosch premium filter causes bad oil pressure, just reaching hear though

15951a\ 05-26-2015 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by maxtorbadass (Post 89399)
other than the solenoid being bad what else could cause this code other than the solenoid?

It's usually the solenoid, but could be a short (also related to the solenoid) or the PCM in relatively rare cases. It seems like the troubleshooting diagrams for nearly anything end with a bad PCM as the worst case scenario.

I'm not a fan of anything Bosch (had a bad experience with O2 sensors), but I don't think their oil filter would restrict flow or they wouldn't be on the market very long.

Don't give up on your truck -- chances are the last owner ignored the issues and got rid of it, and now you're having to sort everything out. The hemi is usually a very reliable engine, and it sounds like you're going to take good care of it. I've had mine since 2008 (bought with 12k miles) with no engine issues in 90k miles.

maxtorbadass 05-26-2015 09:33 PM

Thank you for your reply.... I feel better know knowing that this will be ok till I can get to it, was just very worried about driving all that way with the bad solenoid.

How labor intensive is it to get to and change out or could you point me in the right direction on a how to guide as far as removing the intake and all the specs on putting back together as far as torque specs and all?

I really appreciate your time on this it is a huge help to have peace of mind!

15951a\ 05-26-2015 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by maxtorbadass (Post 89408)
I feel better know knowing that this will be ok till I can get to it

If it were my truck, I'd go ahead and repair the issue before a road trip, if only for the mpg gain (and to be SURE you're not going to be left stranded!). Or at least get it diagnosed by your local mechanic to rule out any other issues, particularly if you're experiencing any vibration, etc. when driving.

Here's a thread from someone that was experiencing similar issues awhile back -- https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...p-light-22261/

I'm not a mechanic (only shade tree), but there are Chrysler mechanics that hang around here that might have additional input for you.