Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L

Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
That sucks. This really has me curious now. I want to know the differences (if any) their is between the different years. If the motor is the same on the 09 and everything is in the same place, then it should work. I really wish I knew more people personally with these Aspens so I could look at them side by side. Or at least a good detailed service manual. The one I have is for the Durango and it covers the 04-09 models. Which only shows the three different motor options. The 3.7L V6, the 4.7L and 5.7L V8. Of course theirs the Hybrid as well, but it's not detailed in my service manual. Now that motor I could see as not having the CAI option.
Agreed, CC. It would be nice to see the trucks next to each other and identify (if any) the differences between the two intakes. I am happy to take a picture of mine this weekend and post but I'm not sure you would get the detail. I'm thinking the hardware itself is the same (bolt locations...etc) but if I remember I have some kind of sensor attached to the intake and I'm unsure if the other year models have the same sensor and location as the 2009. If that sensor is the issue, I can see why the performance vendors didn't engineer for that model but I honestly have no idea for sure.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:07 AM

Unfortunately I can't get a pic of the OEM setup for comparison, but I can get a pic of the AEM CAI installed. My 08 has a sensor on the intake line as well. The AEM system had a hole in it and a rubber grommet for the sensor to transfer over to.

What would probably help is if you compared the install instructions to your setup. I can't find it on their website, but I think I still have mine. I'll see if I can find them this evening when I get home from work and post them up. I know it wasn't that difficult.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM

I'll get a picture of it this weekend and post. I contacted Airaid and they told me that they didn't have a specific model for the 09. Bummer!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Well, here are a couple pics of what mine looks like with the AEM system. I also found a link to the install instructions so you can use those for comparison to your vehicle.

Install Instructions: https://www.aemintakes.com/instructi...-8216_inst.pdf ** A note on instructions, first step says to jack up vehicle and put on stands. Vehicle sits up high enough I didn't feel this was necessary. I just slid under to loosen the sway bar bracket. **

Pics:

Old 08-14-2017, 08:08 PM

Here are a few pics from mine. I know you're probably thinking, well I can't see a darn thing with that massive air intake. Precisely why I want to change it out.

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L-20170814_201153%5B1%5D.jpg   Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L-20170814_201200%5B1%5D.jpg   Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L-20170814_201212%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 05:27 AM

Okay, based on your pictures and the ones in the AEM install link I provided above, I do see some difference in the air box itself. However, it does seem more cosmetic than anything. The intake hose still comes in on the left side just like mine did and I can see the breather hose coming from the filter box running along the air hose and under the air box. This probably goes over to the oil filler tube like mine did. The main thing I would suggest is to try and remove that air intake box to see if the throttle body intake is the same as mine. If so, then it looks to me like it should fit. Only other thing I could provide is pulling out all the stuff I removed and laying it out on the ground as a mock up so you can see the parts involved. However, that would be a weekend thing as I would have to pull the box out from the shed that has all the parts.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:39 AM

Okay, based on your pictures and the ones in the AEM install link I provided above, I do see some difference in the air box itself. However, it does seem more cosmetic than anything. The intake hose still comes in on the left side just like mine did and I can see the breather hose coming from the filter box running along the air hose and under the air box. This probably goes over to the oil filler tube like mine did. The main thing I would suggest is to try and remove that air intake box to see if the throttle body intake is the same as mine. If so, then it looks to me like it should fit. Only other thing I could provide is pulling out all the stuff I removed and laying it out on the ground as a mock up so you can see the parts involved. However, that would be a weekend thing as I would have to pull the box out from the shed that has all the parts.
Sounds like a plan, I will try to remove the air intake box this weekend and take a few more pictures. I don't see the breather hose terminating near the oil filler tube which could be another fitment issue. I'll try to get to it between chores.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:43 AM

I was talking to a mechanic last night from my motorcycle club and he told me that the 5.7 L Hemis are having problems due to the MDS affecting the camshafts. Have you ever heard of this? I have about 70K on my Aspen, and never knew heard anything regarding his claim. Sound familiar to you?

Old 08-17-2017, 05:15 AM

I've never heard of the MDS affecting the camshaft. Would like to know more about that one. However, I do have an intermittent code tripped for my #6 MDS solenoid. When this happens, it won't go in to fuel saver mode. I have started to notice a pattern for when this trips though. Seems to always happen after a good rain. So I think water is getting somewhere it's not suppose to and shorting the circuit. Plan on digging deeper in to this soon to find where.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:56 AM

I've never heard of the MDS affecting the camshaft. Would like to know more about that one. However, I do have an intermittent code tripped for my #6 MDS solenoid. When this happens, it won't go in to fuel saver mode. I have started to notice a pattern for when this trips though. Seems to always happen after a good rain. So I think water is getting somewhere it's not suppose to and shorting the circuit. Plan on digging deeper in to this soon to find where.
I'll try to get more information on this but personally I wouldn't stress too much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L