Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Front sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:25 AM
Default Front sway bar bushings

So I've had my Aspen more than a year now, driven it almost 20,000 miles, and I love it. My only complaint is of the front sway bar bushings.

When I first bought the truck, it was clunking up front after a couple of weeks, and after inspecting it was the front sway bar bushings that looked a bit stretched out and allowed the sway bar to clunk within the bushing. I replaced with aloof problem solvers, good product.

About three months later, it started again. It was the same bushings again. I had a warranty claim against them and replaced them once more. A few months later, guess what, they went bad again.

This next time, I replaced the bushings again along with completely new end links, lower ball joints, new tires all around and alignment. It's not been a couple of months and they've started their shenanigans again, clunking around at low speed.

My question is, how common is this? I've never owned a vehicle that did this over and over again. The truck is in excellent shape and it has never been in an accident. I also checked the ride height according to the factory service manual to make sure the torsion bars were not sagging.

Help! I'm frustrated.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:19 PM

Went through the same thing with my 2007 Aspen. After 3 sets of bushings, auto parts store didn't have a clue! Contacted Moog (brand I was buying) and they tell me that there was a bulletin on that problem!! The factory torque specs cannot be used, believe it was 21ft lbs, the new spec was like 8 ft lbs. Been 2.5 years and have not had a problem since!
Almost 200000 miles and will not trade it for anything!! Hope this helps

Old 02-08-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by hvyresq1
Went through the same thing with my 2007 Aspen. After 3 sets of bushings, auto parts store didn't have a clue! Contacted Moog (brand I was buying) and they tell me that there was a bulletin on that problem!! The factory torque specs cannot be used, believe it was 21ft lbs, the new spec was like 8 ft lbs. Been 2.5 years and have not had a problem since!
Almost 200000 miles and will not trade it for anything!! Hope this helps
Holy cow! I'll look into this.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 AM

I cannot find any type of TSB regarding the front sway bar bushings for 2004-2009 Durango/2007-2009 Aspen.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:35 PM

My Aspen had also a noisy front end, especially when it was cold outside, then came a clunky noise from the front when the aspen run over small bumps or bad streets.
It was a side sway bar bushing worn. Replaced them both with ac delco 45G0886, now its again very comfortabily. A side from the new bushing is cutted for easy installation, this cut has to be to the front of the car. Fix the screws with 61Nm.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:35 PM

Does anyone know if adjusting the torq specs on the sway bar bushing helps with noise?
I torqued the crap out of mine, thinking the tighter, the better. Actually had to replace the 2 stud set after it broke.

Almost all of my front end is new, the rest is still in great shape, but I still have a noise.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 08aspenguy
Does anyone know if adjusting the torq specs on the sway bar bushing helps with noise?
I torqued the crap out of mine, thinking the tighter, the better. Actually had to replace the 2 stud set after it broke.

Almost all of my front end is new, the rest is still in great shape, but I still have a noise.
I dont think that only the torque would be the solution. It changes not the pressure or the diameter.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by aspen13
My Aspen had also a noisy front end, especially when it was cold outside, then came a clunky noise from the front when the aspen run over small bumps or bad streets.
It was a side sway bar bushing worn. Replaced them both with ac delco 45G0886, now its again very comfortabily. A side from the new bushing is cutted for easy installation, this cut has to be to the front of the car. Fix the screws with 61Nm.
After this short time, a bit more than a half year, the same noise, clunking is back.
Again are the bushing worn out, the play is visible.

Who has bushing that are good? Which brand?

Old 01-23-2018, 11:12 PM

I find the Ramco / Moog ones are good and nice and easy to install with the crease.
Mopar ones I think last a little longer, but need to slide on, good to do if you do the links as well.

I think I have potentially resolved my issue (fingers crossed) - which sure sounds like the same one everyone else may be having.
The issue seemed to be with the new sway bar end links. I had Installed multiple front-end parts including new links, to eliminate probable suspects. After really looking at the design of the end links I thought maybe the way I installed them could still allow for a noise to happen. When the wheel is off to remove the links the whole A-arm assembly is hanging / dangling freely. Seemed the nut on the top end of the end links with new bushings was not capable of being torqued all the way because of the weight of the A-Arm.

I used floor jacks to support the whole car with the wheel off, then jacked up the A-Arm itself to where it almost started lifting the whole car. Put the impact gun to the top nut and it did seem to suck it up just a bit. (trust me, I had the gun on them when they were dangling when I initially installed them)
I have only driven 10-20 miles on it, but the usual slow speed front end rattle is gone.

Something to consider if you have this noise, even if your links aren't new and maybe just loose.

If a shop had replaced these and used a hoist, I would imagine that they could also try to attach new end links with the A-Arm dangling freely.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:07 PM

Update: After I tightened down my Sway bar links my noise was virtually gone, I felt like it was trying to come back on really rough roads. However, after about 200-300 miles I completely blew the top off of the driver side end link. I am sure it is because they were so tight. I ended up replacing both sides with Moog end links and followed the same procedure to install as I mentioned above. The difference is night and day. The Mevotech (I think is the brand) end links are complete garbage. If you have noise, and have replaced with the mevotech ones, it could be likely that they are still the suspect. I was looking on Amazon after blowing the one that was not even 1000 miles old, and the reviews are not positive. The Moog one had grease fittings as well, and the rubber bushings actually compressed around the sway bar. It rides like new!