Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   Gas spews out during fill up (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/gas-spews-out-during-fill-up-16283/)

skid2964 11-30-2011 11:56 AM

Gas spews out during fill up

I first thought this was a problem with the gas pumps at a specific gas station, I started filling up at many different places and have discovered this is a problem related to my 2007 Aspen.

Evertime, no matter how careful I am, gasoline spews out when the pump stops. Anyone else have this problem? What is the fix?

GOVOLS123 11-30-2011 03:04 PM

My first 07 Aspen did the same thing. I never got around to figuring out the problem because someone rear ended my wife within the first 25 days of owning it and it was totaled. My 08 has not had this problem yet.

Silver 11-30-2011 03:42 PM

There has been a lot of discussion about this problem on a dodge forum I am on - in the Durango section. Fairly common problem.
I don't recall what the fix is though, just remeber seeing a lot of threads about it.

Never had it happen on my '08 Aspen.

fledda 11-30-2011 10:56 PM

I had this problem and fortunately I still had warranty. The fix is they repalced the gas tank. There is a part in the gas tank that breaks and it is not serviceable so they had to replace the whole tank,

mtgun 12-21-2011 04:39 PM

2008 Aspen gas spews out

I have a 2008 Aspen just picked it up today from getting a new gas tank due to the fact that the gas spews out during fills. What I was told was that my gas tank was basically "sagging" in the middle probably due to lack of support for some reason-which is unknown. Due to this "sagging" during fills the gas tank vent was affected which would cause the gas to go back out of the tank after the pump would shut off. According to the dealership I went to they have not seen this as a problem, but yet this really seems to be specially in the Durangos.

tinman 12-22-2011 10:14 AM

This problem has been discussed at great length in a few forums I have visited. Lots of discussion, and it is due to a variety of factors, but mtgun in his last post has basically nailed it. Lots of people out there have this problem in both the D and the Aspen, including myself in my '06 Aspen.

15951a\ 12-23-2011 02:01 AM

If you search on this forum, I had a thread a couple of years ago when I had the same problem and had it repaired. Go to dodgeforum to find a huge thread on the same issue.

Edit: Here it is: https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...-fillup-10491/

AiredaleJ 12-28-2011 07:07 PM

Gasoline Pump Shutoff

After several years of almost perfect service, my 2007 Aspen started doing the same thing. It did not matter where I was filling up, so it's not the pump(s) at the service station. Apparently, it's a well documented problem where the fuel tank must be replaced due to the failure of a valve.

Does anyone know if Chrysler will replace this obvious manufacturer's defect (it's a common problem) at their expense?

15951a\ 12-29-2011 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by AiredaleJ (Post 57123)
Does anyone know if Chrysler will replace this obvious manufacturer's defect (it's a common problem) at their expense?

Well, it's not a recall item, or even a TSB for most Chrysler vehicles, so they seem to be handling it on a case-by-case basis. I think your mileage and the way you approach communicating with them will affect the outcome.

I was not too far out of factory warranty when mine started, and when I called corporate I was insistent but polite. I made sure to tell them I was concerned about the safety of my family, and that I was aware this is a known problem on Durangos and Aspens. I specifically mentioned that I was concerned about a gas spill in the case of a rollover event. They opened a case number, and it took about a week before I received a final determination from them. In my case, Chrysler paid all but a copay that is required for the extended warranty (and I don't have an extended warranty -- 2nd owner).

Good luck!

AiredaleJ 12-29-2011 02:36 PM

My reply from dealer

Just talked to the dealer, who confirmed there is no recall for the gas filling issue. Further, they will not order the replacement gas tank until I bring the Aspen in and then fill it up with gas to demonstrate the problem. Then, they would want me to run the vehicle until it is at least half empty before replacing the tank. (Sounds like their legal department needs to know about this.) The service rep admitted to having heard of this problem with Jeep Libertys, but not with Aspens or Durangos.

Fortunately, I have an extended warranty on my '07 Aspen and will only be out the $100 deductible. Again, I have been more than happy with the performance and reliability of my Aspen up to this point. I just think that with the widespread failures of this component, it should be covered in a recall.