Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   How to tell if my aspen is 4 wheel drive (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/how-tell-if-my-aspen-4-wheel-drive-30212/)

Teachme 12-06-2018 12:24 PM

How to tell if my aspen is 4 wheel drive

Hey guys dumb question but how can I tell if my aspen is wheel drive? I dont have a selector for 4 wheel drive but I have a srvc 4 wheel drive light that comes on for just a sec when starting my car. It's the 4.7 flex fuel signature series edition.

themps 12-07-2018 01:52 AM

You can get the build sheet and check. Or look underneath the vehicle towards the front. If you have a drive shaft going from the transmission area of your car forward to the front axle it's 4wd. Mine is selectable so it has the knob switch inside. Little different.

Rawyzf 12-07-2018 09:12 AM

I thought if you had the switch, you had 4wd, it not....it's 2wd. But I guess I don't know for sure on that. Look for a transfer case.

themps 12-07-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rawyzf (Post 108645)
I thought if you had the switch, you had 4wd, it not....it's 2wd. But I guess I don't know for sure on that. Look for a transfer case.

I thought some models came with a non selectable for awd type version. Then the ones with 5.7, towing, came with the one that could lock into 4wd low etc. I could be wrong though.

calamity coyote 12-08-2018 12:12 PM

The Aspen has three drive options.
1) 2WD
2) 4WD with the NV 140 Transfer Case which does NOT have the selector switch
3) 4WD with the NV 244 Transfer Case which does have the selector switch.

So look for the transfer case to know for sure.

Teachme 12-09-2018 06:01 PM

So I have option 2

Aparently mine is all wheel drive all the time. Goes great in this blizzard we just got in North Carolina.

REBEL59 12-10-2018 07:58 AM

You're WELCOME(for the Blizzard)..Sent that down to you all there as I've had enough of that stuff up here in Western NY already! When I was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point in the late 70's- early 80's, my folks would send some winters snows each year I was there! Friends still in that area, say they have only occasionally had snows like then since I came back home! Just remember, it's the tread depth and pattern that really gets you thru the SLOP! ;) :)

rowekmr 12-14-2018 01:29 PM

Is option #2 considered AWD?

I have the selector switch and assume it's full time 4wd but couldn't find any info in the original sales brochure for them. With the switch in first detent of 4wd is it operating in 2wd until it detects wheel slippage then engages front axle or is it just all time 4wd?

What happens when the selector is turned to the middle detent of 4wd Lock?

Is the operation vacuum or electrical controlled (or both)?

Thanks

Originally Posted by calamity coyote (Post 108656)
The Aspen has three drive options.
1) 2WD
2) 4WD with the NV 140 Transfer Case which does NOT have the selector switch
3) 4WD with the NV 244 Transfer Case which does have the selector switch.

So look for the transfer case to know for sure.

calamity coyote 12-15-2018 09:08 AM

Both 4WD are technically AWD. However, the power distribution is 48 % to the front and 52% to the rear on the NV 140 transfer case. From what I'm reading, this is the basically the same for the NV 244 (although it doesn't list the actual power distribution) under normal conditions with the selector switch set to the standard 4WD. When you set it to 4WD Lock and 4WD Low, this locks front and rear to the same power distribution.

Do you not have the owners manual either? I think I'm finding a lot of people on here are missing it. I have a digital copy on my computer.

Let's try this. A link to the downloadable 2008 manual from mopar.com. You will have to save it to your computer. Will not open in browser.

https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/twedd...cations?id=778

rowekmr 12-15-2018 10:56 PM

Thanks I looked all over the internet and couldn't find an owner's manual. It will answer a lot of my questions.

Originally Posted by calamity coyote (Post 108764)
Both 4WD are technically AWD. However, the power distribution is 48 % to the front and 52% to the rear on the NV 140 transfer case. From what I'm reading, this is the basically the same for the NV 244 (although it doesn't list the actual power distribution) under normal conditions with the selector switch set to the standard 4WD. When you set it to 4WD Lock and 4WD Low, this locks front and rear to the same power distribution.

Do you not have the owners manual either? I think I'm finding a lot of people on here are missing it. I have a digital copy on my computer.

Let's try this. A link to the downloadable 2008 manual from mopar.com. You will have to save it to your computer. Will not open in browser.

https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/twedd...cations?id=778