Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   My Service Issues (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/my-service-issues-24608/)

calamity coyote 06-19-2015 12:37 PM

My Service Issues

Apologies in advance. Long rant.

So after having my Aspen for nine months, compiling problems that come up along the way, researching on here for solutions and fixing the minor ones that I could handle, I finally took it in to my local dealer for the big stuff. I had purchased an extended warranty and hoped that it would cover this stuff but it didn't. Looks like it's going to be a pointless warranty so I'm in the process of canceling that to get back as much as I can.

Below is a list of my issues and solutions the dealer came up with.

1) Gas overfill/spit back - As many on here have already talked about, this was a filler neck issue. A big thank you for letting me know this had a TSB to be covered by Chrysler. They replaced this free of charge. :)

2) Gas Cap Message, P0456 & P0457 - Sadly I had cleared the codes a few weeks back and these did not come back before I took it in. Although I had cleared them before and they did return. Therefore I knew this wasn't a one time issue. However due to this they were not able to find any issues here. Based on what others had mentioned, I went ahead and picked up the EVAP Leak Detector Switch (ESIM). Cost me $35 with the seal and took me all of 5 minutes to replace. Had to break the tab on the old one to get it off, but no biggie. Hopefully this resolved that issue. We will have to wait and see. Pending results.

3) Leak on drivers door - My truck may sit for a few weeks at a time. With all the rain we have been receiving lately, I've been noticing some water on the floor mat. Nothing major and luckily I have the Weather Tech Digital Fit liners so it doesn't get to the carpet. They were not able to duplicate this issue. Gonna have to do some checks on my on for this one.

4) Oil loss - I've been loosing on average about a quart of oil per 600 miles. They were unable to resolve this issue. Recommended I bring it back in for my next oil change to do a oil consumption test. This basically is them changing the oil, marking the dipstick and coming back in 1000 miles to check levels. Sadly, I fear this may be a ring issue. I will have to check back in on this issue.

5) Intermittent rough idle/hesitation - When I arrive home, I back in to my drive. Sometimes having to pull forward to straighten up and back up again. When I shift back and forth, it sometimes felt like the motor was wanting to die and lights would dim a little. Never did die, but it was a concern. They recommended a tune up. Basically replacing the plugs. I thought there was more to doing a tune up, but apparently not. Since I had over 85K on the odometer and being used I have no idea if this had ever been done before, I agreed to this service for $249.95.

6) P3441 code (MDS #6 failure) - When ever this code popped up, the truck would not go in to fuel saver mode. It has happened a lot. Despite clearing codes, it comes back. They said the code indicated a misfire on cylinder #6 and attributed this to the possibility of the tune up as well. I did not see it as such. So I asked for a price to go ahead and replace the #6 MDS Solenoid. They quoted me $65. Sounded a little off, but I agreed. As you will see, I should of asked more questions.

The total for the repair was $351.09. Not bad. So I thought. I have the AEM Cold Air Intake so the first thing I did when I got it back was check to make sure it was back properly. Didn't look like it had even been touched. Again, should of asked questions at that point. Drove home and had no issues along the way. But something just seemed off to me about the whole deal. I know to replace the MDS Solenoid the intake manifold needs to be removed which would of required the CAI removal among other items as well. So this morning I looked over the invoice again. Sure enough, the part they replaced which I thought was the MDS Solenoid was the #6 Ignition Coil. Not at all what I had asked for.

Called them back to address this finding. The service adviser seemed dumbfounded. After putting me on hold a couple of times to check with his guys, he ask if he could call me back. Still awaiting the call. So it looks like I'm going to have to take it back for the MDS. No telling how much this is going to cost me. It just irritates me that I specifically asked for this to be replaced and they messed up. Not to mention charging me for the wrong part. I'll update the results later.

15951a\ 06-19-2015 02:17 PM

Item 3 is frequently a clogged sunroof drain, which causes water to run down the driver's side A pillar. Expect future electrical gremlins if that's the case, as there's a fuse box that's frequently affected. You might want to blow some compressed air through the sunroof drains to address this.

Re: item 5, the Hemi requires 30k spark plug change intervals, so it's possible that you were way overdue for that. A "tune up" is sort of a misnomer these days, as it only really includes a spark plug change. Everything else that a tune up used to cover is electronically controlled and not in need of manual adjustment (e.g. timing).

calamity coyote 06-19-2015 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll look in to sunroof drain as a possibility. So far I've only seen it on the floor mat. Nothing on the dash or door. And it's kinda directly below the steering wheel. Like I said, it's not that major. Almost like condensation. Seems to vary on how the truck is parked/angled.

calamity coyote 06-19-2015 03:50 PM

*Update for item #6 (P3441) mess up.

Finally got an answer on this issue. They have agreed to replace the MDS solenoid for labor cost only. Quoted me $225 installed. A lot better than I had feared. Said they would cover cost of part since its about the same as the wrong one they installed. Unfortunately it may be a few weeks before I can get it back in there. So we'll see how it goes.

15951a\ 06-20-2015 11:20 AM

The cost of the part is about $40-50 online -- PN 53032152AD.

Are they going to give you a refund for doing unnecessary work that you didn't request, and then charging you for it?

The replacement of the solenoid pays about 1.9 hours, and actually takes a lot less from what I've seen. I'd tell them you'll bring them the part, and they'll install it for free. OR, they can refund you for the unnecessary repair.

calamity coyote 06-20-2015 11:38 AM

They are giving me the part for free. They said it basically cost the same price for the MDS Solenoid as it does for the Ignition Coil. Yeah, both can be purchased cheaper online and I believe the coil is a little cheaper. But I've already paid for the Coil from them so I call it a wash if they give me the Solenoid for free. They are only charging the labor. I thought it was 2 hrs labor but 1.9 is close enough. So at $225 total labor, that breaks down to roughly $118 an hour. Not sure of their hourly rate. I do know it was $179.95 for the labor on replacing the plugs (doesn't show hours on invoice).

elusive416 06-22-2015 08:00 AM

Sounds like you are on the right path to getting everything resolved. Good that you noticed the wrongly repaired part. I bet it was just misread by the service tech. The new ESIM will stop the evap codes from coming back.

Blowing air through the sunroof drains, that's something I haven't done myself and sounds like it could stop your water problem...

15951a\ 06-22-2015 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote (Post 90077)
They are giving me the part for free. They said it basically cost the same price for the MDS Solenoid as it does for the Ignition Coil. Yeah, both can be purchased cheaper online and I believe the coil is a little cheaper. But I've already paid for the Coil from them so I call it a wash if they give me the Solenoid for free. They are only charging the labor. I thought it was 2 hrs labor but 1.9 is close enough. So at $225 total labor, that breaks down to roughly $118 an hour. Not sure of their hourly rate. I do know it was $179.95 for the labor on replacing the plugs (doesn't show hours on invoice).

I understand, I just don't know how you're coming out fair on this deal. They messed up, and you're paying their labor both times, which is where they make their money.

calamity coyote 06-22-2015 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\ (Post 90127)
I understand, I just don't know how you're coming out fair on this deal. They messed up, and you're paying their labor both times, which is where they make their money.

They didn't charge me labor for the Coil. They charged me labor on the tune-up (Replacement of Plugs). Since the coils have to come out anyway to change those, all I paid for was the part.

bradleybbb 03-16-2021 06:49 AM

I was getting the #6 misfire code as well..
performed tune up myself..all plugs and all coil packs.. still get the code..engine runs graet no fumbles,missing ,nothing..
Has to be the MDS system malfunction...just need to figure how to disable permanently.

As for the " oil missing"...this is normal if no leaks on ground..and/or constantly smokes from tail pipe. Mine consumes the synthetic oil on regular basis.
will get light//very light smoke upon cold outside and cold start.. Normal
upon tuneup. No excessive or odd oil burn evident...this is just normal....my oil consumption is consistant and no less or more over 5000 mile checks