Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   P0455 & p0456 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/p0455-p0456-25001/)

rpcabergs 09-08-2015 01:11 PM

P0455 & p0456

Hi- Hoping I can re-ask this question in a way that makes sense and can get a response. I have looked though most of the forum and don't see this specific situation.

We had fuel filler neck replaced on 7-31-15 for gas spill back. 135k +/- miles.

Immediately upon driving away from dealer had loss of speed and poor acceleration which appeared to self resolve. Problems with filling tank, gas pumps keep shutting off multiple times during refueling. Gas cap light and engine light came on within one week/1,000 miles. We were on cross country trip. Drove it another 1,000 miles home w/ light on. Codes P0455 & P0456 came up on our code reader. Vehicle broke down. We cleared codes in an attempt to start it (probably a mistake) wouldn't start, towed to dealership.

9-3-15 dealer replaced fuel pump and said no codes came up, not related to fuel filler cap replacement and there are no leaks.

9-7-15 Engine light came on, codes P0455 and P0456.

I am wondering how this can not be related to replacing the fuel filler neck. Any thoughts on how these could be or could not be related? Thanks.

calamity coyote 09-19-2015 04:00 AM

P0455 - EVAP leak (Large)
P0456 - EVAP leak (Small)

Now I'm not sure on what could be causing the large leak, but the small leak which can also trigger the gas cap light could possible be the ESIM. Also know as the EVAP leak detector switch. It attaches to the charcoal canister and is very simple to replace. Had to replace mine as well. Cost me $35 for the part with seal and all of 10 minutes to replace. Took care of my gas cap light and both a P0456 and P0457 code. I would start there. If that doesn't take care of it, you need to have a smoke test done to find the leak.

Part number for ESIM - 04861959AA
Part number for seal - 52129436AA

May also want to read up on this post which talks more about similar issues/codes you are getting.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...-issues-24663/

rpcabergs 10-21-2015 03:20 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate the response.

We just had a smoke test done. This indicated a leak at the gas cap. We had not had any emissions problems prior to having the fuel filler neck replaced under warranty at the dealer 2 months ago. They did not replace the gas cap. Wondering how it can be random that we just started having this problem after having the fuel system worked on.

Our new (non dealer) mechanic put on a new gas cap and cleared the two codes. I drove it two times with no lights. This morning (3rd drive) the gascap light came on again. But so far the engine light has stayed off. I am crossing my fingers it does not come back on. If so, we'll try replacing the canister & switch.

calamity coyote 10-22-2015 01:07 AM

Don't mess with the canister unless you are sure that is the problem. That's going to be a bit more expensive. Just go for the switch. Cheap and easy to replace yourself.

Cassr 04-30-2017 01:29 PM

evap leak detection pump

Where is the evap detection pump

Halifax5.7 06-07-2017 06:51 PM

A big thank you to calamity coyote. Had a P0456 code for over a year . Finally went to trouble shoot it and checked the forum. Replaced the white plastic leak detector switch and PROBLEM SOLVED. Now on to the air conditioning. Great forum guys!

calamity coyote 06-08-2017 04:50 AM

You're welcome Halifax. Although I'm pretty sure I found this information on an older thread when I was having the issue myself so I can't take all the credit. Just had to search for it. :)

I try to help and share what I can for these Aspens. Weather it's information I discover on my own or researched from others. Not many of them out there and even fewer on forums to help when these problems do arise.

Glad it solved at least one of your problems.