Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Power steering pump cooler and tow package

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Default Power steering pump cooler and tow package

Hey all! So I noticed while working on my vehicle that the little small radiator (attached in front of the bottom of the regular coolant radiator) is disconnected on my Aspen with tow package. The only thing that isn't hooked up is the power steering hoses. They go right to the PS reservoir. Is that right? Or was it only to be hooked up if you wanted it done in the future but equipped? Isn't it supposed to route through the the little radiator in the bottom front? I noticed one of the tubes coming off it is broken off. Perhaps they re-routed to save the actual replacement of it with a previous owner.

Anyway. Long question short... Those with the tow package... .is your power steering looped in with the small cooling radiator towards the bottom front of the vehicle? I'll try and find a picture online.

Thanks

Old 01-21-2019, 03:57 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. Been waiting for some descent weather to look at mine. I popped the hood and saw two lines running from the power steering reservoir area towards the front. Got down low and peaked through the bottom most opening of the bumper to confirm these lines are running to a 2 core "two pass" cooler mounted down low and all the way to the front of all radiators.So yes, it should be connected to this small cooler.

It is quite possible that the cooler sprung a leak and instead of replacing it, the previous owner just bypassed it. Which is sad because not only does the cooler need replaced now, but the lines also will need to be replaced.

In any case, I would work on getting that fixed.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
Sorry for the delayed response. Been waiting for some descent weather to look at mine. I popped the hood and saw two lines running from the power steering reservoir area towards the front. Got down low and peaked through the bottom most opening of the bumper to confirm these lines are running to a 2 core "two pass" cooler mounted down low and all the way to the front of all radiators.So yes, it should be connected to this small cooler.

It is quite possible that the cooler sprung a leak and instead of replacing it, the previous owner just bypassed it. Which is sad because not only does the cooler need replaced now, but the lines also will need to be replaced.

In any case, I would work on getting that fixed.
Thanks for checking, I appreciate it! Yeah I know what you mean it's been below zero here the past few days.

They must have disconnected it like you said. I'm going to have to replace the cooler which looks bad and is Mopar part only unless I try to rig a another vehicles part on there like a ram (there are some aftermarket cheaper ones I think of other vehicles, might be doable) and the lines. I guess the only easy thing will be the line because it looks like it's OK to use screw clamps VS having some crazy compression quick fittings or something. Ugh why don't people take care of vehicles like I do anymore lol

So both lines are running from the reservoir to the cooler? Not anywhere else along the way right?

Last edited by themps; 01-21-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:51 AM

This is what I found. The image should help illustrate. The hose from the bottom of the reservoir goes to the top insert of the cooler. The bottom insert of the cooler goes back to the steering rack. Then the final hose goes from the steering rack to the power steering pump. Looks like the pump and reservoir are connected in a manor where a hose is not needed between the two of them.

FactoryChryslerParts.com shows the cooler for $109 ($152 retail). For them to bypass the cooler, they had to of removed one of the hoses. I'm guessing hose #1 which goes from the reservoir to the cooler. They probably removed it and re-routed hose #3 from the steering rack to the reservoir. So I bet you will need it too. Listed for $19.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:20 AM

This is what I found. The image should help illustrate. The hose from the bottom of the reservoir goes to the top insert of the cooler. The bottom insert of the cooler goes back to the steering rack. Then the final hose goes from the steering rack to the power steering pump. Looks like the pump and reservoir are connected in a manor where a hose is not needed between the two of them.

FactoryChryslerParts.com shows the cooler for $109 ($152 retail). For them to bypass the cooler, they had to of removed one of the hoses. I'm guessing hose #1 which goes from the reservoir to the cooler. They probably removed it and re-routed hose #3 from the steering rack to the reservoir. So I bet you will need it too. Listed for $19.
Awesome thank you very much! Yeah looks right. Wish I would have noticed it 12k miles ago when I bought it haha.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:24 AM

Update: found a Hayden 1011 power steering oil cooler that comes with hoses and clamps for a little less than 30 and they say it will fit. I'm going to have to get a little creative with the mounting but I'm hopeful it will work. The cooler itself seems of decent quality. It's 12x12 so very roughly matching the overall surface area of the original. Just a different shape. I'm normally a oem or at least oem type part guy but this is thing is draining my bank account ha. I've put around 2k into it. Granted 600 or more of that was body work and paint for the rust. New muffler, front pads, 4 shocks, 02 sensors, tune up, front stabilizer bushings, cheap custom-ish CAI, replaced rear stabilizer bar (old one snapped) and end links with bushings, new rear driveshaft and U-joints chasing a vibration. It will be up to snuff soon! Lol

I also just got done fixing/replacing both rear hvac blend doors which had broken and the rear actuators too because I wasn't going to take that thing apart ever again. So if anyone has any questions on that let me know. They seem to have made those actuator coupler stoppers and doors of extremely cheap plastic at Chrysler.

Edit: seems the size of the cooler is more liken 9 by 9. Also 3/8 ID hose. We'll have to see if it works when the weather is better.

Last edited by themps; 01-23-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:17 AM

Good Info here. Keep us updated on the progress

Old 01-24-2019, 05:39 AM

Yeah, the mounting of the aftermarket cooler is going to be the big challenge. I've added a cooler before to my Accord for the transmission since it didn't have one and the transmissions were known for failure. The coolers come with some plastic pieces which are supposed to go through the existing radiator so you can hook to the new cooler. I didn't like these. I ended up making new brackets out of band strapping and mounting to existing bumper / frame sections. Worked out great and actually holds the cooler slightly away from the radiator.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by rowekmr
Good Info here. Keep us updated on the progress
Will do! It's been so cold and busy lately haven't gotten to it. But am hoping to in the next few weeks if things go well.

Yeah, the mounting of the aftermarket cooler is going to be the big challenge. I've added a cooler before to my Accord for the transmission since it didn't have one and the transmissions were known for failure. The coolers come with some plastic pieces which are supposed to go through the existing radiator so you can hook to the new cooler. I didn't like these. I ended up making new brackets out of band strapping and mounting to existing bumper / frame sections. Worked out great and actually holds the cooler slightly away from the radiator.
Thanks! Good to know. Yeah I may just mount to the old broken cooler. Not sure yet. It's going to be interesting.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:37 PM

Ran into a slight snag. Was going to tackle this today. Found the return lines on the power steering seem to be 3/4 hoses with probably 5/8 ID. This Hayden cooler comes with 11/32 hoses...but the specs on Hayden's site say 3/8 ID hose....... So if I want to do this I'll have to buy some reducers from and to the reservoir. These barb reducers are the only things I could find that might work, so I would need 2.
Amazon Amazon

Either way I am going to have to pick up some 5/8 ID hose to complete the loop. Which is slowly edging the price of this fix up. Not to mention I'm not sure it will get the same cooling performance as before given the reduction and reduced surface area. Trying to determine if this is worth spending 50-55 on vs 110 or so. I'm leaning towards returning the cooler and buying an oem cooler and new return line.

Last edited by themps; 02-02-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump cooler and tow package