Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Heavy duty engine cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 02:03 AM
Default Heavy duty engine cooling system

I just bought a used 2007 Aspen. It has a class IV hitch but (to my surprise) based on the harnessing it was not a factory install. I did some research and the factory Trailer Tow Group (AHC) includes the following:

Trailer towing preparation includes tow hook; 7 and 4 pin wiring harness; Auxiliary transmission cooler; Heavy duty engine cooling system; Power steering cooler; 3.920:1 axle.

All seems straightforward except the heavy duty enging cooling system.

Anybody out there knows what a "heavy duty enging cooling system" is and how can I verify if I have it? Can it be a aftermarket install? Is it really needed?

thanks.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM

The heavy duty service group includes heavy duty engine cooling, and heavy duty engine cooling includes an auxiliary transmission oil cooler and power steering cooler. In other words, the description is redundant. The heavy duty service group is included if you have the trailer tow group only. If your hitch is aftermarket, you probably don't have it. The 3.92 axle comes with the trailer tow group only if you have the Hemi engine.

Easiest way to tell: If you have tow hooks (2) on the front of the vehicle and two skid plates underneath, then you have the trailer tow group, which includes the heavy duty service group. From your description, it sounds like you probably do not have the heavy duty service group.

Do you do a lot of towing? If so, it's worth considering the upgrades. If not (or if you're only towing a small bass boat or something), then it's probably not worth the trouble and expense.

Last edited by 15951a\; 07-30-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the response.

Took a look down under and no tow hooks or skid plates. Also noticed that there is a tranny cooling unit (approx 5"x18" mounted vertically just in front of the radiator to the right side) and a power steering cooling unit (approx 2"x18" mounted horizontally just in front of the radiator near the bottom). Both units look very much factory installed.

Do all Aspens have tranny and power steering cooling and there are standard and heavy duty variants?

or

if you have the tranny and power steering cooling units, you have the heavy duty upgrade.

I also found in the owners manual there is an Equipment Identification Plate under the hood that provides the factory option of the vehicle, but could not locate.

I am looking at a few camping trailers 20 to 25 ft, approx 4000 lbs; so I agree with you on the heavy duty upgrades, just trying to figure out what I have got to start with.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 AM

I was reading off of a 2008 brochure when I put together my last response - it's possible that the 2007's options came packaged differently.

When I bought my Aspen (used), I e-mailed Chrysler and asked for a copy of the build sheet. I suggest you do the same, so you can have a comprehensive list of everything that was installed at the factory. I received a response with the build sheet within 24 hours.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 AM

Excellent idea. would want that infor regardless. thanks.