Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Crossfire & Crossfire SRT-6 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-crossfire-crossfire-srt-6-16/)
-   -   Crossfire Stereo System (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-crossfire-crossfire-srt-6-16/crossfire-stereo-system-4842/)

jimbowayne 02-18-2008 09:32 PM

Crossfire Stereo System

Hello all,

I just bought a 2006 Crossfire Limited, I am an audiophile that really appreciates his music, but the limitations on inputs for the factory stereo is causing me some grief. I would like to install my Eclipse stereo which I removed from my truck and install it in the Crossfire. It seems the information available on the internet as far as wiring diagrams for the factory amp, Speaker specifications and such are extremely hard to obtain. I would like to keep the Amp and the wiring configuration that is from the Amp to the speakers and only replace the head unit itself. If I could identify the pre-amp inputs running to the amp then it would be easy to use the preamp outputs on my deck to feed the amp (if indeed that is how this amp is set up). My reasoning for doing this is because I need the ability to add an IPOD module, and a Sirius module to the stereo. Initially I thought I would keep the factory stereo, but lack of windshield area to install my Sirius, and the array of bad FM transmitters for the IPOD's out there will not allow it.

There seems to be a lot of people out there that know nothing at all about what it takes to do this, I have had people try to sell me an adapter for it but they are unable to tell me anything about retaining the function of the amp. Most installers tell me its not possible to keep the onboard amp, but it seems they are only trying to make a sale on some equipment.

Any direction you could give me on this would be great. I would really like to get my hands on a wiring diagram for the amp itself. I have had a lot of years experience doing custom installs on cars, but most are pretty straight forward.

jimbowayne 03-04-2008 05:22 AM

RE: Crossfire Stereo System

Well I was able to find out some information on the variations in stereos for my crossfire. Apparently some of the systems are setup on a fiber optic system (which is why several places said I can not use the factory amp). Fortunatly mine did not use this option on the deck. I was able to get a wiring harness from a place online which used RCA preamp rather than a direct speaker conection. It took me about 10 min to swap out the factory deck and install my aftermarket stereo. The Metra 70-1786 was simple to use and had the RCAs built right in, worked great. You have to remember to only use the front preamp connection coming from the metra though because the factory amp is only wired for two channel stereo.

Now that I have that end figured out I have orderd a full Kenwood in dash DVD player with a Navigation unit. The Modules required for this fit nicely under the passengers seat and I cant wait to get it finished.

I will make further posts on this and some pics will show the install.