Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Crossfire & Crossfire SRT-6 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-crossfire-crossfire-srt-6-16/)
-   -   Idle problems (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-crossfire-crossfire-srt-6-16/idle-problems-5822/)

mtnsong1 06-08-2008 05:06 PM

Idle problems

I recently purchased a 2004 Crossfire Coupe/automatic. I runs perfectly except this one problem. When I come to a stop, it begins to idle rough,and has actually died one time. It does not do this everytime. Anyone have this problem and if so, possible solutions short of taking it into the shop? I have searched the forum previously to this post .Thanks in advance..........Martin

mtnsong1 06-17-2008 08:52 PM

RE: Idle problems

Ok, took it in today. They had it all day. Called them at 2pm to see what the verdict is. They test drove it for 1/2 hr and could not get it to reproduce the idling problem. So, they asked me to come in and go for a drive with the tech. I did that. It did stall out 2 times. Asked the mech. what he thinks. He stated "well, I'm not the trained Crossfire mech. He will be back in a week. And I don't know what it is." You would think they would have told me that before I brought it in. Wasted a whole day. Very frustrating.0

So, I will schedule for next week. But before I do, I'm going to call and talk with the "Certified Mech." for Crossfires.

danimal 06-18-2008 06:29 PM

You will probably find that he doesn't know 'jack' either. Chrysler is not capable of maintaining this car. Your best bet is to find a good independent mercedes mechanic.

mtnsong1 06-18-2008 08:35 PM

Ok, that makes sense. But, what about my warrenty? Will the "Mercedes Mech." be an authorized service providerunder my warrenty?
I know, call and ask, but I'm hard pressed to think Chrysler will cover it. Thanks for the reply.

Stogey 06-20-2008 01:12 PM

Sorry, I can't help you with your warranty question. On the idle question, this seems to be an on going problem with the XFire. Several owners I am aware of have the same issue. Be sure to keep Premium fuel in the tank and you may wanna run some injector cleaner through it. This has seemed to help mine, so each oil change I add a pint of injector cleaner to the tank. Hope this helps.

danimal 06-22-2008 09:40 AM

No, unfortunately they will not do the work under warranty.......but you get your car fixed. That's the trade-off.

nwaschkau 06-26-2008 02:22 PM

I own a 2005 Crossfire (automatic) with the same issue. Mild vibrations that you can feel best when you have your hands on the steering wheele, hand on the gear shifter and your knee touching the door handle. First, my dealer Buerge in Santa Monica did not want to recognize that there were vibrations. Then they said that there was no information available when they read-out the error log. I guess that is all they are capable of doing nowadays.
Problem continues to persist, so I called the Mercedes dealership in Germany where my parents by all their cars for help. Idling issues is not an unknown issue to some Mercedes engines.
Anyway, the guys from Mercedes in Germany suggested the following, that their could be a vacuum leak somewhere, which can lead to the rough idling or an electrical problem. The suggested that the guys at the dealership here should check all the electrical wiring to the spark plugs, exchange the spark plugs and maybe all the wiring to them. The dealership should check the electrical system of the car by using an oszillograph (if that is the accurate translation into English). Also, the dealership should exchange the MAF (mass airflow sensor). None of what they described might not cause any error to be recorded in the error log.
Of course the dealership did none of it - their solution is to contact Chrysler for info - though I don't think they will do anything.

Issue is, according to Mercedes, when this persists, depending on severity, this imbalance means that that due to that the catalytic converter might not be operating properly anymore and could lead to clogging of the unit, which in return will lead to higher engine temperatures down the road (don't knwo what the time frame might be for that) and a fatal engine failure/blow to that way down the road.

So, if anybody else has any information how to get dealerships to locate the issue so that they are willing to work on it, please post!

That is all the info that I have - don't know whether this is of any help.

Thanks.