Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   07 Pac shut off on highway, low oil pressure light (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/07-pac-shut-off-highway-low-oil-pressure-light-29135/)

sirenella4 03-23-2018 07:42 AM

07 Pac shut off on highway, low oil pressure light

Last fall the oil pressure light came on a few times and the car shut off on me once. Had the switch replaced, but a month later the light came on again a few times and it shut off on me yet again (thanksgiving weekend). Consensus then was I got a bad switch and we changed it out.

This morning it shut off on me again and once I stopped, the oil pressure light came on. This is the first time since I last had it fixed that the light has come on.

Surely it can't be a bad switch again? Is there something else it could be? 193,000 miles and she needs to keep rolling!

Thanks

ETA: talked to the repair guy who replaced the switches and he said the light would have come on because the car shut off. He doesn't think I have another bad switch but there's another reason it shut off. I've seen posts on here about that happening which I'll go back and review, but any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

dcotter0579 03-24-2018 11:54 AM

The oil pressure light should come on when the car stalls. When the engine stops, oil pressure goes to zero, so the light comes on. The oil pressure light is not your problem. The car should not be stalling. There could be many possible reasons for the stalling. Get a competent mechanic to check it out.

sirenella4 03-25-2018 05:04 AM

I learned that much already, that the oil pressure switch is not my problem this time. Any suggestions on what it could be?
My mechanic's suggestion was to take it to the dealer for a diagnostic. No thanks, I'd rather not get hosed. My dealer takes good care of me on the oil changes, but their repair rates are ridiculous. And if I don't have a diagnosis, then I'll leave myself open to getting ripped off "fixing" things that aren't really the problem.

So, that's why I came on here. I know some of the Pacs have had issues with the car shutting off, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks

CHRYSLER TECH 03-25-2018 10:08 AM

Your willing to just throw parts at something and guess to the issue?
If you go to any good shop dealer or independent. The tech will asked to be paid wither or not you use them for the repairs or what ever. You would not ask a DR to look at you for an ailment and then just walk out would you? No because they do the same thing any good shop would get get payment or agreements for payment up front to compensate the people that spend years and thousands of dollars for training and tools.

Your mechanic should do the same thing if he is trying to run a business and not end up on the streets. Now if he is unable to diog the item then yeah all well and good to pass you off with out payment. Any problem can be found with the right knowledge of the cars system no matter who made the car.