Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   2005 key fob programming (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/2005-key-fob-programming-29947/)

corvairbob 09-29-2018 01:31 PM

2005 key fob programming

say has anyone here had any luck programming a key fob when you only have one to work with? i see a few you tubes that show doing it with 2 fobs and 1 that claims you can do it with 1 but before i waste my money getting another key fob and then find out it can't be done myself i have to ask. i just may work if there is a trick.

some say to remove the original key fob program and start over. but i just don't need to go down that road and fine i removed the original program and now nothing works and then have a tow bill and keep programming bill. thanks for any help.

dcotter0579 10-03-2018 10:41 AM

Check your owners manual for instructions on programming fobs. If you don't have one, download it from chrysler.com

corvairbob 10-03-2018 10:48 AM

i have one and did check. i asked just in case someone found a way around the need for having 2 new from the factory fobs. and did reprogram then successfully using one original fob and one they got from anywhere else like maybe ebay or amazon. thanks

BiliTheAxe 10-03-2018 08:22 PM

Go to ebay, buy TWO blank keys.
Get the dealer to cut and program one of those keys.
Now with two programmed keys in hand, get the third key cut at a hardware store, or auto parts place.
Use the two programmed keys to program the third key.
When the third key is programmed, hide it so that two keys will always be on hand to program replacements if a key gets lost.

Keep this in mind for future reference.
If the battery gets disconnected, the remote portion of the new keys will likely stop working.
That is not a problem.
You can reprogram the remote portion using the keys that you have, since the security chip will still have the programming that starts the car.

corvairbob 10-03-2018 08:24 PM

yes i can do that but to save the 100.00 bucks i still ask if anyone has done it. it just may not be possible to do but it never hurts to ask. thanks for the help

BiliTheAxe 10-03-2018 08:25 PM

In a 2005, it is not possible unless you own the programming equipment the dealer has.
You need two keys to be able to program one yourself. It is a security feature to stop people you may loan the car to from making their own copies of the keys.

corvairbob 10-03-2018 08:34 PM

thanks i figured that may be the case but i have seen youtubes the say you can do it. but before i mess up my only key i have, i ask to see if anyone else has done this with good results. i asked the guys that made the youtubes and have yet to get any reply from them but then some of those guys do not watch for questions from there videos. thanks.