Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   2005 Pacifica. Tried to jump, car now totally dead. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/2005-pacifica-tried-jump-car-now-totally-dead-17629/)

Trinten 05-27-2012 12:16 PM

2005 Pacifica. Tried to jump, car now totally dead.

Hi guys.

The battery went dead. Got a friends car over, hooked up the jumper cables. Pacifica had power (courtesy lights turned on, mileage on dash displayed, clock was running).

Gave it a few minutes to build up a little bit of a charge. Turned the key. There was a single click and then EVERYTHING went dark again. No lights, no clock, no *nothing*.

Got back out, re-checked all the cable connections -- still no power.

Shut down the other car, unhooked the cables. Checked all the fuses under the hood - all good (damn tough to get those tiny fuses out!!). Obviously no way to check the relays, though.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what happened?

This is a bit urgent, racing the clock somewhat. Thank you!

CHRYSLER TECH 05-27-2012 02:03 PM

replace the battery

Trinten 05-27-2012 03:56 PM

Thank you for the suggestion,

I didn't consider it because the battery is less than 2 years old. So even when another car is hooked up and supplying power to the vehicle, a bad battery can prevent everything in the car from getting power?

I only ask because I've never seen that before.

Thanks again!

Thundercraft 05-27-2012 05:52 PM

a battery with an internal short will kill things quick.... all the jumping in the world won't help you.

Trinten 05-27-2012 08:10 PM

Thanks guys!

Well I went ahead and disconnected the battery, and hooked up the battery from the donor car... sure enough, everything lit back up.

Definitely a learning experience for me, I was thinking the electrical system had just taken a dive!

Sadly now... when I try to start it, it's just a very rapid metallic clicking from under the car. So I think the starter needs to be replaced next.

Thanks to both of you!

CHRYSLER TECH 05-27-2012 11:25 PM

is your donor car battery crap? that is a weak battery with the fast clicking.

Again replace the battery with a GOOD one from the store.

Trinten 05-28-2012 08:46 AM

Thanks again for the info!

No, it's a good battery, BUT it might not have had a solid/good connection - which fits.

I'm just hesitant to buy a battery for it right now and find out it doesn't work. I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

CHRYSLER TECH 05-28-2012 01:17 PM

replace the battery

Trinten 05-29-2012 05:15 PM

Hey guys,

just wanted to hop back in and say thanks. Battery replaced and everything worked! I'll be honest, I was shocked, I've never seen that kind of behavior before - learn something everyday!!

You guys probably saved me a tow and paying someone to do a diagnostic on top of the simple battery swap. Thanks again!!

Thundercraft 05-29-2012 08:13 PM

Glad it worked out in the end.

Something so simple as a battery causing so much grief.....