Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2006 pacifica hitch??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Default 2006 pacifica hitch??

So I just got a 2006 Pacifica and it doesn't have a hitch and I would like to put one on myself. I am more than capable but when I look online I see a few different style hitches. Is there s difference? I want a basic bolt on hitch. All I will be doing is towing a small 800 pound trailer with a little bit of fire wood at the most and very rarely. I've heard these can tow fairly good. I would like at least a class 3 hitch because I don't like the smaller 1 inch hitches. So does anyone know what works best or have any advice for this? I found some hitches on ebay with wiring kits for around $220-270. Name brand doesn't matter to me. Also, looks like there is an empty spot in the fuse block for "trailer/towing". Do I need to add a fuse for that or will the wiring kit take care of that? Any advice will help. Also so far I really like this car. I wont be driving it as much as my fiancé since she has the kids all day. I like the 6 person seating. I sat in every seat and there is room for a 6' 190 pound male to sit comfortably for the most part. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 PM

I have had a full size hitch hitch on my 05 Pac since it rolled off the dealership lot 308k miles ago. The heaviest my own likes to tow is about 2200# gross trailer weight.
Don't know what brand my hitch is, the 1st hitch took the brunt of the blow in a rear end collision; small damage to plastic bits on my Pac, took out the radiator/condenser of the offender. On my 2nd hitch since the 1st hitch wound up looking like a pretzel.
No wiring of fuses needed, just pop out the tail lights and get after the wiring. (had mine wired at U-Haul, they may have put in an "adapter" to handle separate turn/brake lites. Sorry no real info on the wiring.)
Tow conservatively, the Pac transmission is a bit light weight and terribly expensive should you rough it up. The good thing about a Pac is that 1st gear is really low, almost like a granny gear. Have fun!

Old 07-10-2018, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I just see a few different style looking hitches and some look really curvy and others look fairly straight. I just don't want to order something that $200+ for it to look goofy or hang low or not work at all. They say they fit but they look way different and have different mounts. Some mount from the bottom and others on the side. I just want a for sure answer before I fork out that kind of money. Anything over $20 is a lot of money to me lol. Wiring doesn't have me really concerned since its a kit. most of those are plug n play and zip ties. Thanks again for the towing cap. I read these are rated for a 3500 towing. Seems kind of high for what it is. I know my trailer is 800 pounds. Loaded with wood would push it closer to 2000 I'm sure. I can always load it lightly too. When you are towing do you know what kind of gas mileage you got? Did you use the "shifter" while driving or keep it in auto? I used to drive manual transmissions everyday so I'm used to it. Its fun to play with in the Pac. Also, I like how there's been almost 100 views and 1 reply. Any advice is good advice people lol.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:05 PM

Not sure of the brand or style hitch that I have. The 1st hitch was installed by U-Haul. The 2nd hitch I installed, but I do not remember the brand/model #. Not sure if the mileage decreases since I generally only make short hauls.

But yes the question regarding use of shifter is critical to keep from putting the screws to the delicate transmission. With a trailer hooked up, I never want the Pac to go into 4th gear w/ Torque Converter locked. (wish there was a way to push a button and prevent TC from locking up, but there is not one on the Pac) So my usual routine while pulling is to let the Pac decide on the 1-2-3 upshifts, when vehicle gets to 45 MPH I pull the shifter down into "Manual Shift Position" to keep it in 3rd gear. When coming to a stop light, the transmission will automatically downshift, when coming away from the light I place shifter back into Auto shift mode, let it get up to 45 MPH and back into Manual Shift Position. The reason for using Auto mode is that the Pac controlled shifts seem to be smoother on the delicate transmission than my Manual efforts. My Pac has earned its keep making a LOT of short haul 2000# trailer runs, still shifts great w/ 308k on the odo. (Pac helped me build my very successful RV Resort business, though I now have moved up to a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck to do my heavier hauling.)

Last edited by djetelina; 07-12-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 AM

I got a curt hidden hitch. Its a class 3 hitch and bolts on in 30 minutes. Still waiting on wiring kit to come in. Got a really good deal from work. Around $155 for hitch and wiring from etrailer with our work employee discount. Finally the benefits of working at an RV dealership lol.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:12 PM

I will be honest, I got a deal on the Mopar hitch in 2005 and it was the best investment ever! I am not sure what is the real difference between the brands but it definitely opens up the capability of the vehicle.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 AM

Yeah I am definitely looking forward to being able to tow my trail or using my rack for extra storage. my fiancé drives the Pacifica more than I do since she has all the kids all day. I think just having the rack on the back with a large storage tote attached to it would be very helpful since she's a girl scout leader and a cheerleading coach. So she can fit all 4 kids in the back and use the rack for supplies. So far we are loving this car. After seeing the issues Chrysler used to have with computers and transmissions I was hesitant on buying this but after driving it we love it. Actually just took it to Put-In-Bay yesterday and have had zero issues. It was only a few hour round trip since we are just south from there. Still has been very reliable and a very nice ride. The hitch will be extra armor in case we ever got rear ended too.