Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

07 Pacifica Limp mode, leaky oil switch HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Default 07 Pacifica Limp mode, leaky oil switch HELP

2007 Pacifica
Bought the new to me car in September.
driving one day and the oil pressure sensor came on and car went into limp mode. Put the car in park turned off and sat for a minute. Restarted just fine. No check engine light.
Replaced switch. Ran fine for a week. Did it again. Replaced switch. Ran fine for a week then started dumping oil from the switch.. and limp mode. Finally they put a Chrysler part in not aftermarket. Guess what. Ran fine for a month. Driving and limp mode. It just got towed off to the shop.

What the heck is causing this to happen ?! No check engine light no codes.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:27 PM

Which motor is in it? Only a guess about the cause...A sticky oil pressure relief valve? Possibly from a sludgy motor from too long of oil change intervals??
You did not give much background information to work with, other than about the patch jobs being done. Need to have a calibrated oil press test done to see if it is running too high.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:50 PM

Sorry! Just frustrated is all.
its the 4.0L touring 6 speed transmission.
133xxx Miles. Oil changes have all been done on time per the Carfax and records.
it has been tested at the shop and oil pressure all runs normal while idling and at 3000 rpms.
The only thing they ever "find" is a bad oil pressure switch.
It goes out of limp mode on its own so maybe they aren't seeing any codes because it never goes into limp mode at the shop.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:26 PM

As a former auto tech of many years, about the only thing that can blow an oil pressure switch is too high of pressure from a malfunctioning pressure relief valve. It may only be happening intermittently, but when it does you will get the results you have. Better that it is going into limp mode than blowing a motor. But what intervals(miles) and type/weight oil are you using?

Old 04-13-2018, 02:20 PM

So we got a call from the shop it's at. They said it's having some ABS issues. No more oil issues. They said the ABS issues could be causing the limp mode.
However, to diagnose it right, they need it to go into limp mode and they can't. So far they've driven it about 100 miles.
Sigh.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:01 PM

If they say ABS issues, WHY did you not post that the ABS warning light was on? IF ABS issues the warning light would be on.
A good code scanner that can read abs, trans and OBD11 codes will be pretty specific in tracking down the ABS fault.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:30 PM

The ABS light isn't on and has NEVER come on.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:32 PM

They have now driven it over 100 miles and it has not happened again. However I know when I get it home it will do it.
im tired of trying to track down the problem. Nobody seems to be able to figure it out at the shop.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:28 AM

I would imagine you would get "tired" tracking down the problem while the car is already at a repair center! You will not get a direct "here is your problem and fix needed" from any forum with the little relative info you have chosen to give. NO forum has eyes to see your car, and you obviously are not the person making any diagnostic checks to track down the problem you have!

Old 04-14-2018, 10:20 AM

I don't see why you have to be so rude about it.
i literally gave all the information I have about my car. It's not actually an oil problem. And I wasn't looking for any "here's your peoblem now fix it" answer I was just trying to get some ideas because even the shop can't figure it out.
They are the ones that brought up the ABS issue but like I said there is no ABS light on. The car drives then goes into limp mode and the only 2 lights that come on are the traction control and then the oil pressure light because the car has died.

Anyway. Thanks for being rude. That's all the info I have.

Quick Reply: 07 Pacifica Limp mode, leaky oil switch HELP