Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

New to Forum With Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Default New to Forum With Headlight Problem

Hello all! I am new to the forum so pardon if this not posted in the proper area.

We recently aquired a 2006 Pacifica that is pretty well loaded with 48K miles on it. It has the auto-on feature for the headlights. My wife had to go on a trip to Denver from here in North texas a few days ago. During the trip the low beam headlights quit working whether on auto or manually. She was able to manually turn on the high beam lamps, and all of the other lights parking, fog, & running are working OK.

Are the lowbeam lights fused seperately? I am unable to locate any headlight fuse anywhere. Anyone have any ideas as to why the lowbeams quit? I find it hard to believe that both blubs would burn out at the same time, but is that the problem? How do we tell it we have the optional HID headlights? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Marty

Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Sorry, I can't seem to find the Edit feature for my post??

I just wanted to add that I noticed the negative battery terminal is pretty corroded. I know that I need to clean it up, but could this be causing the problem?

I know with lots of the computer driven stuff on todays vehicles voltage level is very important.

Marty

Old 06-13-2010, 12:37 PM

Marty, clean the terminals for sure. I believe the lights are controlled by a power control or body control module. Simply cleaning (by removing the cables) will reset the modules. If loaded you most likely have the HID.. they look like this..

Can't seem to find a good pix of an HID so here is a NON HID regualr one. If yours looks like this.. you don't have HID

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...Q5fAccessories

Old 06-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Well, went to local Auto Zone to get some battery terminals. The guy there said that we did not have HID(I could never get the link you posted to come up). I went ahead got a couple of headlight bulbs.
Changed the terminals, still no low beam headlights. Changed the bulbs, and guess what, both bad. Now everything works.

My wife will have to reprogram the seat, pedals, mirrors, garage door opener and everything else now since I disconnnected the battery. But she is going to wait. I noticed the that there is crack in battery case right near the negative terminal. Everything is still working, but I don't trust the thing. If I had known we would have replaced before she went a 1500 mile trip.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:07 AM

Strange you have to reprogram.. My 04 Pacifica and my 05 Town and country remembers everything when the battery is disconnected... seats, garage, radio presets. Mater of fact, you can't delete the garage door setting. You have to set it to another garage. When I sold my pac, I could not reset the homelink.

Glad it turned out to be just a few bulbs.. get that battery changed though.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by mrfixit454
Strange you have to reprogram.. My 04 Pacifica and my 05 Town and country remembers everything when the battery is disconnected... seats, garage, radio presets. Mater of fact, you can't delete the garage door setting. You have to set it to another garage. When I sold my pac, I could not reset the homelink.

Glad it turned out to be just a few bulbs.. get that battery changed though.
You were right about the reprograming, seem as though everything worked. The only that was lost was the trip odometer settings and the maintenance interval.

Also the battery died completely on Tuesday and had to be replaced.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 AM

If you have H7 bulbs in the projector-type headlamp be sure to have spares. H7 bulbs do not seem to last as long as other types and I think that they run hot in the projector housing.