Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   diagram for overrunning clutch??? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/diagram-overrunning-clutch-9429/)

bdunit 09-29-2009 08:11 PM

diagram for overrunning clutch???

The manual says it is time to service the overrunning clutch. Never heard of such a thing. Can anyone explain the procedure or show diagrams? Thanks.

CHRYSLER TECH 09-29-2009 10:38 PM

U dont replace it u service the fluid in it. If u have all wheel drive then u replace the transfer case fluid and front and rear diff fluid.

busboy4 09-30-2009 08:48 PM

Hi
The overrunning clutch is the forward portion of the rear axle drive on your AWD machine. The front axle "gearbox" which Chrysler calls the power transfer unit has serviceable 75W90 gear oil in it. It is a bit difficult to get at, but there is a drain plug on bottom and a filler further up on the side. It holds 2.1 pints of gear oil. At the rear is the rear driveline module which houses the overrunning clutch (forward) and the rear differential (aft). I was told by a drivelline engineer friend that the overrunning clutch allows the rear wheels to spin at different speeds during cornering. Anyway, it has a drain and fill plug too and holds 1.22 pints of ATF+4. The rear half of the unit is the differential, again with drain and fill plugs. It takes the 75W90 and holds 1.48 pints.

I have changed all of the above in my garage, but it really would be so much easier on a lift. I used a fluid transfer pump which made the job much easier. I also have an AWD Honda and have changed rear carrier fluid on it with help from a friend. I used a funnel and about 5 feet of clear tubing. I went under the car with a drip pan and the end of the tubing, and my friend poured from above. You can basically fill any of the above units until the fluid spills from the filler port.

In any case, word to the wise....make sure you loosen the filler plug first :)..They will likely be very tight and not in a hurry to loosen. A good soak with PB Blaster would be a good first step. BTW the filler/drain plugs are about an inch in diameter with a square receptacle for a 1/2'' drive breaker bar. Or maybe it was 3/8"? You will figure it out.

busboy4 09-30-2009 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll attempt an image uplink:

andrijj 02-16-2010 10:37 PM

Are the filler/drain plugs square receptacle or hexagon ?

busboy4 02-18-2010 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by andrijj (Post 34863)
Are the filler/drain plugs square receptacle or hexagon ?

Ya know,

now that you mention it I believe I bought some 3/8 drive hex attachments to do the job.

Thanks for the clarification.

Dmaxin 02-25-2010 02:21 PM

Resend link

Originally Posted by busboy4 (Post 31037)
I'll attempt an image uplink:

Busboy, could you resend that link to the overrunning clutch. I tried to access it but for some reason it's not available.
Thanks, Lynn

busboy4 02-25-2010 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dmaxin (Post 35110)
Busboy, could you resend that link to the overrunning clutch. I tried to access it but for some reason it's not available.
Thanks, Lynn

It opened for me, but I'm happy to try it again. Here goes:

Dmaxin 02-26-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by busboy4 (Post 35114)
It opened for me, but I'm happy to try it again. Here goes:

Thanks for reposting. I keep getting the dreaded
Dmaxin, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation
That was my first post so something hasn't kicked in yet, I guess. :confused:

Thanks for trying. I'll try a Google search for the info.

Lynn

JohnnyG 04-25-2010 04:50 PM

I'm getting this same error...any resolution?