Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Flickering lights on our Pacifica

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Default Sandy G

Ranzy could not have described my problem any better. I have a 2006 Pacifica and have been having the exact same problems since Oct. 2009. As I write this my car is at the Chrysler dealership and has been there for almost 2 weeks. 5th trip to the dealer. I told them I didn't want it back until they fixed it. They have put a new alternator, new battery, new battery cables, a new instrument cluster in and it still flickers, chimes, abs and brake light come on, radio cuts out. Called the dealer and sent them this link...Guess what? Chrysler will not pay for something they can't diagnose! I can come and get my car and have it done myself. Well I am headed there now to pick up my car. Will let you all know how it goes! Thanks again!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Default Sandra01

Update! Talked to the service manager at the dealership and sent him the link to this forum. He read it, called me and said to bring my car back in and they would give this fix a try at no cost to me. My car has not had a flicker or chime since! It's only been a few days but I am confidant because it was doing it every time I drove it. Needless to say Chrysler needs this in their database because I got a new alternator, new battery, new cables and a new instrument cluster out of it! Ranzy-you are the man!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the good post

Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Glad your dealer fixed yours. We took ours in and they acknowledged after some digging that there was a problem with the wiring harness but would not cover it. And of course my extended warranty didn't cover that part. I even explained this fix but was told they couldn't do something like it.

I ended up making the repair myself and completely removing the cable between the battery and fuse box. Ours has been going strong for over a year now.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Red face 2006 Pacifica flickering abs,brake & dashboard lights

hello,
i am a new member. i own a 2006 chrysler pacifica. i noticed that my abs, brake and dashboard lights flicker. i took my car to 2 mechanics. both mechanics tested the car on the machine and stated no code came up and that there was nothing wrong with the car. It has been driving me crazy to the point where i hate to drive it now. i was referred to this website by kevin from allexperts.com. The tips from ranzy has been very helpful. My car will be taken to a mechanic for repair. I am unable to view the pictures. I would appreciate it very much if the pictures could be sent to me.

Again thank you so much kevin for referring me to this website and ranzy for all your help. i was really thinking about getting rid of the car because of not being able to find the solution to this problem.

va friend

Old 05-16-2010, 03:13 PM

We have an 06 Pacifica that is driving us mad for months! It has stalled on us twice in traffic!!!! And those damn flickering likghts were making us so worried but no one could tell us what the problem was. Is there any way some one could email me the pictures for the fix? It tells me I dont have permission to see them.

Juliarias11@gmail.com

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Default Pictures

How can I see the pictures? For some reason, I can't see them. I have an 06 and am having the same problem.

Originally Posted by ranzy
I went ahead and got the photos for you today. I kind of wanted to wait to see if it was fixed before I got in there and started unhooking anything but I figured what could it hurt.

This is an over view of the battery area of my Pacifica.

Those are the ground wires that I added first when I thought it was a bad ground connection. I plan to leave them there because it won't hurt anything.

REMOVE YOUR BATTERY BEFORE YOU START THIS PROJECT. YOU KIND OF HAVE TO JUST TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THE FUSE BOX ANYWAY, BUT EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU CAN GET TO IT WITHOUT REMOVING IT, DON'T DO IT. JUST REMOVE YOUR BATTERY! OK.

After you remove your battery you can see that the fuse box is hinged so that you can flip it over and get at the bottom.

Between the fuse box and the fender you will see the two levers to unlatch and flip the box over.

Here is a view of the box flipped over.

That black wire is what I added to the wiring harness. They did not have it in red at my Wal-Mart but I didn't care. It's a 4 gage wire, so it could carry the load even if I removed the factory wire all together. It is just a lawn and garden cable from Wal-Mart for about $4.00. Here is a closer look at the connection I made. I know it was not just a bad connection to the fuse box becaue I had already taken that connector off once during my trouble shooting and cleaned the connector with a wire brush and applied DeoxIT to the power connector and the plate that it bolts to on the fuse box.

Here are the two wires removed from the connector. You will have to bend the connector like that but it is easy to do.

Look at where the red wire goes into the black plastic cover for the connector. That is where I was able to just pull a little and it slipped out of the plastic. That is when I really knew it was bad. Try to pull on the wires at the other end and you will see that you can't budge them. Here it is really close up.

Here are the rest of my connections so that you can see exactly what I did. I did not remove any factory wiring. You can make the repair for less than $4.00 and you do not have to remove the covers from the wire harness to make this repair. I only did it to confirm that the wire from the battery really goes from the battery straight to the fuse box. If it made any other connections on the way, that could have been the problem, so I just wanted to make sure before I just added a wire to the fuse box. That is the other end of the black wire I added to the harness and you can see that it is easy to install onto the battery.

Here you can see where I attached the wire for the new connection to the body and engine.

If you want to do this one, I just took off one of the nuts for the strut mount and scrapped off the paint to make a good connection to the body. I tested the connection by removing the factroy ground wire and starting the car and turning on everything I could think of on the car. It worked just fine. The second wire just goes down to the bottom of the engine. I just removed a bolt from the engine that I had easy access to and bolted the wire to the engine.

I hope this helps some people out. I have never posted a fix to a forum before but I have sure read some. I really appreciate it when there are good photos to help me out, so I tried to post it like I would want if I found this post. Since you have to remove the battery to get in there and do the repair I did not have to stress this so hard. Electrical problems can be a nightmare but I think this is the fix. We drove the car a few times today and it was still solid as a rock.

Believe me, if this is not the answer then I will follow up and let you know. After all this ranting and a big write-up I hope I don't have to eat my words. But I don'twant to waste anybody's time replacing a wire if it didn't really fix my problem.

Ranzy

Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Default The Pictures at last

OK Folks,
I was able to contact Ranzy as he is off to other things now and with his permission, I offered to host his pictures so he sent them to me. I loaded them to Picasa for now so copy them if you want them as I don't know how long they will be out there. In a nutshell, you had another positive line to under the fuse box where the original red line inters the box. There is a post there to mount another line from B+. Make sure to use a red wire to avoid any confusion about polarity.

I let him know that he has been thanked may times here.

Hopefully this helps.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/mrfixit4...eat=directlink

Fixit

Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 AM

OK, I'm back.

First I would like to say that the problem is still fixed.

Sorry for the problems with the pictures. I had hotlinking turned off and did not give permission for ChryslerForum.com to link to the photos. This happened when I changed servers a while back and I guess I just forgot to enable these photos.

I know this was a long post for such an easy fix but it was sucking the life out of me back then. Good luck to you all in your quest to fix your flickering lights.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 AM

I am happy to report that my car is still running perfect. The dealer really worked with us even though my warranty had run out by the time it was fixed. But it was also with us being relentless on demanding it be fixed and taking it in for 7 months. It had been taken in several times for the flickering and chiming while still under warranty so they covered the fix and costs. They even gave us a rental till they could pinpoint the problem along with this forum. It took the service manager making a call to Chrysler HQ to finally get my car fixed. I wish all of you luck on this one!

Quick Reply: Flickering lights on our Pacifica