Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   gas cap message 05 pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/gas-cap-message-05-pacifica-28751/)

corvairbob 01-10-2018 07:53 PM

gas cap message 05 pacifica

i talked about this here a few weeks ago and i thought i had it repaired but it came back. without tearing back into it i figured it may be a good idea to run it across this site one time and get some more ideas.

05 chrysler pacifica it when we got it it had the gas cap message under the odo so i got a new stant cap and installed it the message never went out. so i took the rt side back seat out and removed some floor and to get to whatever it was in the tank, did not look like a pump but there was a lever arm on it. i did not see any damage. so i put it all back and in doing this i had the battery disconnected, when i put it back the message was gone. it stayed off until this week. i also replaced the egr at that time. i did a smoke test and did not see any smoke anywhere but the machine making it.at that time the only code it had was the p0404 and i let it stay for a bit to see if it would clear but it did not. then the engine lite came on and i checked the codes and it had p0404 and p0420 egr and cat. plus the gas cap message. so i do not think these are all related. i did check the cap and it was tight, and when i installed it i marked the filler and the cap was hitting the filler all the war around. i then tested the sensor on the evap canister and it had numbers on the ohms settings. the wires are good and connected.

so any chance the sensor in the tank could be causing this. my hf tester can't test for the evap and tank sensor functions that i see. and i have the torque lite app and elm scanner and that doesn't have those either. does the paid app have them by any chance? so any ideas or youtube welcome, i would like to get this gone. thanks bp.

dcotter0579 01-10-2018 10:07 PM

I've had better luck with OEM gas gaps than aftermarket caps, FWIW

corvairbob 01-11-2018 05:47 AM

thanks but again i have a 2016 200 and the cap on that looks just like the pacifica. and rock auto claims it is a direct factory replacement. i asked the dealer they said it is the same. but it came for advance auto, i have the numbers crossed and sent the numbers to the dealer and that is what they told me anyway. thanks

update i went out and checked the 2016 200 cap and it is the same. so i took the old cap from the pacifica and put it on the 200 and now we will drive the 200 with the old cap on it to see if we get a gas cap warning. if we do then we will put the original 200 cap back on the 200 and drive it to see if the message goes away by itself, if it does i will then swap with the pacifica directly to see if we again get the gas cap message for the new cap i just put on the pacifica if we do then that answers that question and i will go to the dealer and get a cap for the 200 providing the cap i put on the pacifica that came off of the 200 keeps the pacifica gas cap message off. so this is a test for the next few days. i will update any thing that happens. thanks