Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2005 Pacifica heater / AC fan (front) not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM
dcj
Default 2005 Pacifica heater / AC fan (front) not working

I have had a variety of problems relating to this going back for close to two years. At first the front fan started to blow at the highest speed no matter where the fan speed control was set. This went on for a number of months. At some point thereafter the fan would continue to run even after the engine was shut down and the key removed. This was intermittent - sometimes would and sometimes would not. As time went on a new symptom developed: when starting out the fan would blow at full speed, but then after driving down the road (for random distances - one mile, five miles, two miles) the fan would stop working and nothing tried would make it come back on. It seemed at times that the fan shut down would be simultaneous with down shifting or braking or rapid acceleration. For the most part if you stoppd and shut the car off, after restart the fan would begin working again, but then would quit again as well. Somewhere along the line - I forget when exactly - I replaced the blower motor resistor. I believe this was just before the fan would quit after driving down the road. The most recent symptom which started at the beginning of last winter (in Minnesota) the fan quit entirely and I've had no heat or AC since. I also remember replacing a fan relay in the fuse box under the hood which I recall caused the fan to work properly. I think this was prior to replacing the blower motor resistor. I fear being financially assaulted if I go to a dealer. I'm capable of DIY having experience in vending machine and appliance repair; but frankly I am puzzeled by these varying symptoms and don't know quite where to start. Can someone push me in the right direction.... or over the cliff? Now its freakin 98 degrees with high humidity. Driving with the windows open helps a bit - but before long winter will be back again. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:47 PM

You will have to replace the resistors. Have not done it myself BUT do some research in the PAC forum, and that is THE MOST COMMON problem. That's were I would start.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 PM
dcj
Unhappy reply to cirrus98 re fan not working

One of the first things I did was replace the resistor pack as noted in my original description.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=dcj;71919]One of the first things I did was replace the resistor pack as noted in my original description.[/QUOT

Have you been able to resolve this situation, I seem to have the same problem and am freaking out because winter is coming and I dont have any heat. Don't even know if the window will be able to clear up before driving

Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 PM
dcj

Dear Seun Tayo Fadipe: I rechecked related fuses and relays in the fuse box under the hood and fouund all to be good. Not knowing what else to do, in desparation I purchased and installed another new fan resistor pack and the problem was solved. Of course electrical parts are not returnable so I am stuck with paying for the repair twice as it appears the first replacement was a dud. Good luck with your Pacifica! dcj

btw - replacing this part is a piece of cake. Empty out the glove box, squeeze the sides together and the whole compartment drops down. The blower motor resistor is directly behind the glove box. Remove the snap on electrical harnesses, remove two screws; and replace with new resistor and reconnect the wires. Plenty of room to access and you don't have to stand on your head to do the job. The resistor pack is in the neighborhood of $100.00 which is the worst part of the whole deal.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the response. I bought a new resistor pack and it didn't work. So maybe I will go to another store and pick one up again. I did notice I had voltage coming out of the unit I had but the fan wasn't working. So I am trying to get a new blower motor, but the only thing in my way is the last screw in the back corner of the lower air inlet housing. I have been working on it for hours and I haven't been successful. I know if I take it out, I am definitely not putting it back in