Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   How often do you need to change oil (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/how-often-do-you-need-change-oil-6375/)

indept 09-02-2008 08:32 AM

How often do you need to change oil

We bought our '07 pac new in may '07. with the exception of the 1st oil change (which the dealer did for free) I change the oil myself. I've been doing oil & filter every 3000 miles but I use synthetic in both my vehicles and was wondering if there would be a problem if I change it every 6000 as schedule "A" recommends. My concern is would Chrysler refuse to cover a repair if there was a warranty issue with the engine & I show records of synthetic every 6000? I fit the Schedule "A" description for everything BUT "Day or night temperatures are below 32 degrees F" which would only apply to winter here in NJ.

mplue 09-02-2008 11:08 AM

RE: How often do you need to change oil

We have an '04 AWD Pacifica and I have changed our oil every 5k miles. Just in the last two changes, I have switched to synthetic. I'm sure they could use that as a loophole to not honor a warranty issue, but we are well past our original warranty, 75k to date. We pretty much fit the same catagory as you as far as schedules.

indept 09-02-2008 01:10 PM

Yeah, that's why I want to know. I have added care extended warranty which is a lifetime warranty so I don't want to go to them when it has 200,000 miles and have them say it's void.

SDHUSKER 09-02-2008 05:35 PM

Ok gang, I just have to weigh in on this one. Having grown up in my grandaddys Skelly filling station I have some maybe not views on oil. I have a 2007 Pac touring and I do change my own oil. (The last time I had the dealer do it they left the filler cap off).

Now, I change every 3,000 miles. But, if we are not traveling as much I change every three months regardless of miles. My theory is that short drives leak gas into the oil and thins it.

In regard to synthetic. I have never bought it. Not that it's not great oil, it's just that for the price, when one changes regularily what's the point.

I traveled in business for more than 30 years, over 1.5 million miles. I used Penzoil in every car I owned and never had a problem. So, where does synthetic make it better?

Just some observations from an old coot. [:-]

indept 09-02-2008 08:57 PM

It definitely flows much more freely at low temperatures than "dino" oils and it's not prone to the viscosity breakdowns that dino oils are in the hot summer months. Both those points are based on chemical analysis and lab tests of synthetics & non synthetics. And now with the high pricre of oil, you pay $3.50 a qt for regular oil & $5.50 for synthetic.

indept 09-04-2008 08:16 AM

Hey CHRYSLER TECH or MOE what's your take on this since you work at dealers?
Thanks

CHRYSLER TECH 09-06-2008 12:13 AM

every 3k only way I would change my oil at 5k would be if I do nothing but high way driving I mean U live out of your car stop and go driving the the worst thing on and engine. And that would be 5K with synthetic.

ladisgsx 09-06-2008 10:51 AM

I do 100 mile commute 6 days a week, I change my oil every 6000 miles with mobil1
I used that in all my cars and never had any engine problems.

indept 09-08-2008 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: CHRYSLER TECH

every 3k only way I would change my oil at 5k would be if I do nothing but high way driving I mean U live out of your car stop and go driving the the worst thing on and engine. And that would be 5K with synthetic.
The BIG question is, Have you seen a Chrysler dealer deny anyone coverage under warranty based on the schedule they chose, even though the oil was fine (no viscosity breakdown etc)?

cenzo 09-11-2008 11:49 AM

NO!