Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   Jumped time (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/jumped-time-30092/)

Jabberjaws88 11-01-2018 03:02 PM

Jumped time

So i have a 2006 pacifica, and it has jumped time. Someone i have been talking to says that when it jumps time it bends the valves and im better off just replacing the engine so it ends up being the same. Its a 3.5. Im just trying to zee if anyone else has amy experience with this.

Jabberjaws88 11-01-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jabberjaws88 (Post 108183)
So i have a 2006 pacifica, and it has jumped time. Someone i have been talking to says that when it jumps time it bends the valves and im better off just replacing the engine so it ends up being the same. Its a 3.5. Im just trying to zee if anyone else has amy experience with this.

see***

BiliTheAxe 11-01-2018 05:55 PM

It depends on how far off it jumped.
If it is only a couple of teeth it will be ok.
I had that happen to my 04 3.5 liter Intrepid and it was fine, but if it jumps more than 2 or 3 teeth, the valves could be bent.

Jabberjaws88 11-02-2018 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe (Post 108186)
It depends on how far off it jumped.
If it is only a couple of teeth it will be ok.
I had that happen to my 04 3.5 liter Intrepid and it was fine, but if it jumps more than 2 or 3 teeth, the valves could be bent.

if it doesn’t start, does that indicate how far it’s jumped?

REBEL59 11-02-2018 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jabberjaws88 (Post 108192)

if it doesn’t start, does that indicate how far it’s jumped?

Won't start and "jumped time"...it is a fabric timing belt, NOT a chain and an interference motor(Valves hit pistons). IF the engine spins real fast with no attempt to start(like there's no compression) you have probably got a broken timing belt and if this happened at driving speeds...a TRASHED motor.

Jabberjaws88 11-02-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by REBEL59 (Post 108193)
Won't start and "jumped time"...it is a fabric timing belt, NOT a chain and an interference motor(Valves hit pistons). IF the engine spins real fast with no attempt to start(like there's no compression) you have probably got a broken timing belt and if this happened at driving speeds...a TRASHED motor.

the belt is still intact from what i can see. When i try to start it, it doesnt make an overly loud noise and makes a sparking sound. My husband obtained this vehicle from someone else after it had the issue.

BiliTheAxe 11-02-2018 03:16 PM

When my 3.5 liter in the Intrepid died it just flat out stopped running, and would not restart after that, until I had replaced the timing belt.
Warning, if he decides to do the timing belt, be sure to replace all of the pulleys involved, the waterpump, and the tensioner. "DO NOT". for any reason, use any aftermarket parts, use MoPar only, or you risk having to do it all over again in a year. That was a common complaint of 3.5 owners who used aftermarket timing parts at the forum for LH owners.

REBEL59 11-02-2018 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe (Post 108195)
When my 3.5 liter in the Intrepid died it just flat out stopped running, and would not restart after that, until I had replaced the timing belt.
Warning, if he decides to do the timing belt, be sure to replace all of the pulleys involved, the waterpump, and the tensioner. "DO NOT". for any reason, use any aftermarket parts, use MoPar only, or you risk having to do it all over again in a year. That was a common complaint of 3.5 owners who used aftermarket timing parts at the forum for LH owners.

Agree'd about the parts and don't go cheap or only do half the job. The OP needs to open up the covers for the TB and see exactly what is going on, the belt may look intact..but how many of the "teeth of the belt have stripped off(which will def. make out of time) and should try and find out from the previous owner just what conditions when it "jumped time. There are a number of 3.5 motor engine nightmares from TB troubles on an Avenger forum that I am very active on...Bent valves, cracked pistons, connecting rods, ALL from failed timing belt.