Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   Radiator fans do not come on (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/radiator-fans-do-not-come-13307/)

jammozzz 01-02-2011 02:47 PM

Radiator fans do not come on

Disconnected rattling fan on drivers side while I wait for a new one to arrive, but, neither fan will come on now after driving and idling for quite a while. Temp outside is 19 deg so maybe they won't come on. However, is there something that needs to be reset after disconnecting one fan.

dcotter0579 01-02-2011 04:11 PM

I'd be surprised to see a fan come on at 19 degrees ambient. Any indication of overheating?

jammozzz 01-02-2011 05:02 PM

No overheating

Just making noise. I am going to change it this week. Just seemed strange that they wouldn't come on at all seems like they would kick on before at any temp. I let it idle for quite a while, but, thanks I won't worry about it. I have the noisy one disconnected so it won't come apart.

CHRYSLER TECH 01-02-2011 11:23 PM

they are series fans both must be connected to work.

jammozzz 01-03-2011 03:06 PM

Do both the fans have to be replaced as a unit?

Thanks, makes sense.
Can you just replace the one fan? Or do you have to replace both as I see them sold as a unit?

CHRYSLER TECH 01-03-2011 08:28 PM

replace both

jammozzz 01-03-2011 08:33 PM

Thanks, I'll order both. Doesn't look like too big of a project to change.

GreyRock 04-19-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 44513)
replace both

my 2002 TC Limited's radiator fans will occasionally come on for no known reason, it could be 10 degrees outside and when I know they shouldn't be on they are. they come on when needed for engine cooling and AC operation but like I said they would come on (only occasionally), weird. I have ATC with rear heat/ac. fan relay was replaced with no help, could it be the coolant sensor? it has normal operating temp and never overheats. where is the sensor? I'm sure it's inexpensive if that's it. Thanks!

Djinn-n-Tonic 04-19-2011 06:59 PM

Just a quick question, but I have to ask......

Does this happen with the defroster on????

Doubtful the coolant sensor is bad, because there is no dedicated sensor for the fan. There is an Engine Coolant Temp sensor, which feeds PCM with coolant Data and in turn PCM will activate the relay to turn the fans on....If there were a problem as you describe, It would most definitely either set a C/E light, or cause other driveability issues in another area.

Now...During defroster usage, your A/C compressor is activated to de humidify the incoming Air....When High side pressure exceeds predetermined limit, The fans will operate to avoid Over pressure, and since The condenser and pressurized freon produce their own heat, it will have very little rhyme or reason as compared to outside temps.

GreyRock 04-20-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic (Post 48762)
Just a quick question, but I have to ask......

Does this happen with the defroster on????

Doubtful the coolant sensor is bad, because there is no dedicated sensor for the fan. There is an Engine Coolant Temp sensor, which feeds PCM with coolant Data and in turn PCM will activate the relay to turn the fans on....If there were a problem as you describe, It would most definitely either set a C/E light, or cause other driveability issues in another area.

Now...During defroster usage, your A/C compressor is activated to de humidify the incoming Air....When High side pressure exceeds predetermined limit, The fans will operate to avoid Over pressure, and since The condenser and pressurized freon produce their own heat, it will have very little rhyme or reason as compared to outside temps.

no, just normal heat operation with no AC or defroster/defogger on.
they run normal (as expected) when AC an/or defroster is activated. I just found it odd that sometimes they would be on after I just exited the highway when we know no cooling fans are needed for only heat or just the cabin "fan" being on, heat or no heat.