Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   Real world MPG (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/real-world-mpg-368/)

Nurse 06-12-2005 01:49 AM

Real world MPG

I am very interested in buying a new/used Pacifica but after the 60+ comments I have read over the internet most of them state that the gas mileage is on the poor side. I have a Ford Expedition currently, and I'm sure I don't have to go into detail on it's gas consumption. I would like to find a rig that could still hold 6 people, have atleast AWD for the winters up here in Mt, get in the 20's mpg, and still be American named (maybe i'm dreaming). Some people claim that their Pacifica's get 15-17 mpg while others report mid 20's. What kind of town and highway mileage are you guys averaging? I appreciate the help.

-Todd

ViperGTS 06-12-2005 02:43 AM

RE: Real world MPG

EPA estimates are City: 17, Highway: 22, but real world estimates are...

Edmunds Average:15.7 mpg
Best Tank: 20 mpg
Worst Tank: 10 mpg

-Matt-

Nurse 06-12-2005 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

EPA estimates are City: 17, Highway: 22, but real world estimates are...

Edmunds Average:15.7 mpg
Best Tank: 20 mpg
Worst Tank: 10 mpg

-Matt-

Thanks for the numbers. Pretty disappointing. It would be stupid for me to trade my Ford off on a Pacifica if that's what kind of mileage they're pulling.

I've heard that the bigger 3.8 gets a little better mileage than the 3.5. Any truth to this??

Thanks
-Todd

ViperGTS 06-14-2005 01:10 AM

Yes, the 3.8L gets 18 Mpg City, 25 Mpg Highway. The 3.5L two weel drive gets 17 Mpg City, 23 Mpg Highway. The 3.5L all wheel drive gets 17 City 22 Highway.

Overall, the Pacifica is a very good vehicle. They look excellent and perform with excellence. The 3.8L shouldn't be that hard on gas. Probably averages with others its size.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod...Pacifica.shtml

-Matt-

Chrysler Information 07-04-2005 05:55 PM

Hi All
My name is Kelly; I am a Marketing Representative from the Chrysler Information Center. I have been reading the past few posts. Todd, I think it’s great that you’re looking into purchasing a Chrysler Pacifica. They are very practical SUV’s with a lengthy list of great qualities.

I am wondering if I would be able to join your discussion. I will try to answer any further questions you may have. Hope to hear from you soon!
Thanks

Kelly S
Marketing Representative – Chrysler Information Center
1-800-CHRYSLER / 1-800-422-4797
chryslerforum@bbdodetroit.com
www.chrysler.com

ViperGTS 07-04-2005 06:34 PM

I am wondering if I would be able to join your discussion.
Yes, please join any discussion on any part of Chryslerforum, as well as any other Chrysler info people....they're welcome too.

-Matt-

Chrysler Information 07-05-2005 06:21 PM

Thank You, ViperGTS for the Welcome…

ViperGTS, you are correct on the estimated “mgp” on the Chrysler Pacifica. However, keep in mind that these figures are only estimates, and are provided for comparison purposes. The actual mileage is hard to determine because they tend to vary by different factors such as the individual’s driving habits, and/or conditions.

I will be around. If you or anyone has any questions, please let me know!
Thanks

Kelly S
Marketing Representative / Chrysler Information Center
1-800-CHRYSLER / 1-800-422-4797
chryslerforum@bbdodetroit.com
www.chrysler.com

Dave_in_PA 07-29-2005 12:54 AM

Hi Nurse...
I wish I had asked this question before buying MY Pacifica. For the most part I love this car. The styling, comfort, features and handling are fabulous. But I have a few VERY annoying defects that the dealer can't seem to repair so right now I'm not the best enthusiast to be joining this forum.

But here's my experience regarding gas mileage and it seems pretty typical, or maybe on the low side of typical. I changed the oil to synthetic and replaced the stock air filter with a K&N hoping to improve the mpg even a little bit, but my mileage is still fairly poor. I get about 15 around town..and my town is not stop-and-go, so I hate to think what it would be in the city. Highway is only about 21. I have a 2005 Limited AWD btw with now about 4600 miles. Frankly, my opinion of this vehicle is that you get 8 cylinder mileage with 4 cyl. performance.

Elvis 01-05-2006 07:37 AM

Sorry Dude, 15 to 21. something is it. Well on the road you can eak out22, but thats it. Thank you very much.

gpzjack 01-27-2006 11:21 AM

We currently have a 02 T&C lease and can't wait to get out of it...We were thinking about the Pacifica but the gas mileage is a bit low. To compare my 04 Ram qc gets 22.5mpg on the highway at 70 with the air on so low 20s from a pacifica don't sound too great.

Bajavicki 02-21-2006 03:44 AM

I was hoping for better gas milage also going from a ford 150 Triton engine, but nope the gas milage sucks I hate this CAR!!!!!!!

macjville 02-23-2006 10:39 PM

Hello Nurse,
I guess you need to put it all into perspective. The Pacifica weighs 4500+ pounds. An Expedition weighs 5000+ pounds. Both are heavy vehicles. The Pacifica rides better, handles better, quieter, more comfortable... The Pacifica gets way better mpg then the Ford. We were looking at an AWD until we thought about how much snow we actually get. Where we live, the roads aren't snow or ice covered for very long. A little defensive driving goes a long way. We recently got an inch of snow and the salt trucks were nowhere to be found. Our FWD Touring performed great. No slipping or sliding. It has been very cold the last few weeks and our Pacifica is getting 20mpg. Our '98 Buick Regal (3.8L non-supercharged) only gets 23mpg in the cold. The Pacifica is a lot bigger than the Regal.

It's all in what you want.

Paper Flames 06-04-2006 06:39 PM

I'm in the process of replacing my 2000 Range Rover and am appalled at the poor milage the Pacifica gets. I get 15.7 (for the last 15K miles) on my RR and was hoping to get 19-22 with the 2006 Pacifica Limited AWD. Thank you all for the enlightment, I'm defently rethinking this purchase....maybe that Acura or Volvo.

Tim

net1wolf 06-05-2006 03:33 AM

My real world mileage is 17 MPG for the city and 23 MPG average for the highway. I did get 18 MPG city using the autostick.

bluefire 06-14-2006 12:04 AM

Only had our 2005 Pacifica touring about a month. it averages about 18-19mpg around town according to the tell tale info panel in the dash...and we do have some stop and go areas here. Havn't been on a good highway trip to see how that it...but i'm sure it's 20 or better.

Just wondering why all you guys are having such "horrible" as you say gas milage.?? How do you drive?? gas milage depends on that as well as how the vehicle is maintained , weight from cargo, etc.
I'm sure ya'll know that , but just wanted to bring it out for conversation. gunning it from the light will of course make the milage worse, vs easing into the throttle.

This vehicle actually get BETTER milage than our old car...a 2004 Chrysler Sebring with the 2.4L, 4 cyld. and lets not even compare it to my other 2 vehicles... Dodge Avengers. hehe. Overall its a very nice vehicle, rides great, handles great for what it is, plenty of "creature comforts" for what we need, and decent gas milage. I mean...it's no civic...but it's no expedition either...right in the middle...so it's just fine with us.

MRNORMAL 08-25-2006 12:18 AM

Hi all, new here. I'm shopping used 2005 or new 2007 Pacifica FWD base model. The vast majority of the posts regarding the 3.5 indicate 15 +/- in town and up to 23 or once I saw 24 on the road but more typically 20 or 21. I've seen no posts regarding the 3.8 but the Caravan weighs about the same and uses the 3.8 (or 3.3) and CR reports up to 26 on the road and about 16-18 in town.
The base Pac weighs in at about 4380 and the 2007 specs show about 4340. More equipment + more available driving wheels=more weight. The Pac is a few inches lower, so it should do about the same or better. Hopefully I'll find out one of these days.
BTW, bluefire, the MPG computer may or may not reflect reality. True MPG is miles divided by gallons used.
PS: What ever happened to Kelly the Chrysler Rep?

mkeymse 11-20-2006 11:29 AM

average according to the computer 13 mpg!!!

tcoxcsr 01-30-2007 02:05 PM

Something I didn't discover until a few tankfuls into owning my 2004 is that you can reset the mileage computer when you start a new tank of gas. If you don't do that, it can make a big difference in your numbers. Mine happily improved when I discovered that as the old mileage wasn't dragging down my numbers.

Just a little food for thought -- I had a Ford Aerostar that got around 16-18 mpg around town. Then I got a Mazda6, and fora small car, I was only getting 17 mpg average. Now we got the Pacifica and I'm getting 16-17. So I could have gotten a tiny car that my family wouldn't fit in comfortably and I couldn't take my mom's walker with us and I'd get awesome mileage, or I could get a comfortable car with all the creature comforts I could ever want,as well as being a good looking car, and give up some mileage. It's my choice, and I went for comfort. You're always going to have to give up something,especially as you get into the bigger cars.

CHRYSLER TECH 01-30-2007 03:36 PM

yep that computer will take an avg of the whole time u use the avg mpg untill u reset it.
Plus this is only an avg not the real thing if u want a real MPG use your math skills.
How much u put in the tank full tank and divide by how many miles u drove

resqguy 03-10-2007 12:58 PM

I'ma potential buyer butI think we all could benefit from this informatiom if this is ascomplete as possible. Please list your year, model (FWD, AWD), and engine size. Thanks.

tpieples 03-22-2007 09:40 PM

I have had my 2006 Touring for three months and have yet to get better than 13.6 MPG. It's a great vehicle if you can afford to feed it. I can't.

resqguy 03-23-2007 04:43 PM

I have an 07 FWD with the 4.0 Litre motor. It isn't really broken in yet and I am getting 24 - 25 MPG. That is combined hwy/city but I don't drive around town much.

gishman 04-02-2007 07:56 PM

My wife and I went on a road trip and I actually got anaverage of 22.7 mpg but in town we always get around 17, by the way its a 3.5, good enought for me.Try hav'n my durango, it gets at best 18 mpg on the road.

PACMAN 04-08-2007 02:37 PM

We have gotten up to about 23 mpg on the highway. In town we get about 17. It's a great comfort car (we have the Walter P. Chrysler series, 2005 with 3.5) and it looks nice too!

daswitz 04-15-2007 11:16 AM

I consistantly get 22 to 23 mpg while cruising the highway between 65 and 75 mph. I have a K&N filter installed. My "around town" mileage is around 18 mpg.

kstompaint 06-06-2007 12:23 AM

If I had known that our 04 AWD would get 16-17 MPG, I probably wouldn't have bought it. My Ram 2500 Cummins gets that (or better) with 37" tires on it. I love the car but the mileage is ridiculous for the size of the car.

bizzob223 06-07-2007 08:54 AM

What are you basing your MPG numbers on, The computer or real world miles/gallons? My wifes 04 with 33 PSi in the tires and running at approc 65 MPH on the freeway we get 21-23 MPG. The around town mileage is around 17-20. Do you ever reset the computer wehn you fill up?

Let us know

Bob

CHRYSLER TECH 06-07-2007 04:20 PM

if the computer that shows your avg mpg it will just keeping adding up the miles and do the math based on all of the miles not just the last tank full. Rest the trip computer each time if u want correct avg mileage. Or do the math yourself

BenjaminA 06-07-2007 09:39 PM

So far we get 19mpg in the city and 24mpg on hwy. 2wd, '04 - 40K miles

We're young but tend to drive like old people. I guess that's why we have a pacifica.

xfire04 06-09-2007 09:16 PM

o4 awd 19 city 22 highway

zimba 06-10-2007 03:37 PM

I just got back from a trip where I was testing my MPG. With a 2006 Pacifica touring edition I got the following:

HWY at 60 to 65 MPH = 25.3 MPG
HWY at 70 to75 MPH = 22 MPG
HWY at 76 to 80 MPH = 20.5 MPG

In town (in Atlanta serious stop and go) 13 MPG

I average 18 MPG per tank on a normal week.

SConn 06-14-2007 03:48 PM

I've had my 05 Pac for 2 months now (put about 3k on it already) and I'm getting 20 mpg consistently. I usually always average about 20.4 mpg. I can't complain. I traded my '02 Envoy for this car and I was getting 16 mpg with the Envoy, so I'm happy!

kelleybean 06-22-2007 01:16 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some good info on my pacifica, but came across this MPG comment, we all would like to save on gas these days and thought I would give my advice on what helped with our gas mileage, we use to put Safeway gas or Citgo gas 89 octane in our Pac, but recently made the switch to a "better quality" gas and has increased our mileage from 18 to 23. We are pleased with this and the 5 cent increase wasnt actually that much more since we got more mileage, now on the highway/freeway we can get up to 26mpg!! We currently are using Shell 89 and we have an 05 with the 3.8 FWD. I just thought I would throw that out there for you all. :eek:

kelleybean 06-26-2007 11:55 PM

oopsie dont know if it matters but my husband pointed out that I was wrong, we have the 3.5 Pacifica. sorry! :)

tomo28 01-25-2009 04:32 AM

Hi,

great to see your posting on real world MPG figures. I have a site called www.whatMPG.co.uk which has a real world MPG database, and also manufacturers figures.
for comparison. If you could post your figures on the site i would be very greatful. Also i will start to add more model info to the site.

SDHUSKER 01-25-2009 05:45 PM

We have a 2007 Touring Pac. Took it from South Dakota to Alaska and back in June, 8,000 miles and averaged 23 for the trip. In Canada (where we had to run lower speeds) the computer was saying 28.

Currently with below zero temps and short drives we are getting 14 to 16.

On trips with all interstate travel at 75 MPH we get 24.

Our Pac has the newer designed engine and trans. 4.0 Liter and 6 speed. I think that has a lot to do with the mileage. ;)

mkaresh 01-29-2009 12:15 PM

TrueDelta conducts a real-world gas mileage survey that's more detailed than others. Results for the Pacifica here:

Chrysler Pacificareal-world gas mileage

davisyk 05-19-2017 02:24 PM

I have an 08 Pacifica 4.0L 6 Speed tranny FWD Limited. I average 21mpg consistently (60% highway 40% in town). I put snows on the front only (yeah not recommened - who cares!) in winter. Thing will go through any snow here in New England much better than all the AWD import SUVs with their stock tires. I bought the car 4 years ago with 70k and now approaching 150k with no problems other than normal maintenance. Great car!