Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Steering wheel Jerks

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Default Steering wheel Jerks

I recently replaced my rusted out sub-frame with a newer one. I wouldn't do that job again ... I took it in for an alignment and when they gave it back to me they said "it's all straight, but there's still a slight jerk when you accelerate". I didn't think anything of it until I drove it home.

When I accelerate the steering wheel jerks to the left, when I hit the brakes or slow down it jerks back to center. If I don't hold onto the steering wheel it will just jerk the steering wheel but the car will keep going straight with the steering wheel tilted at an odd angle. The problem is when I'm holding the steering wheel (as I usually am) it makes he car jerk slightly to the side until I correct for it.

It doesn't feel like torque steer that I'm used to - I used to have a Honda that would torque steer really bad, but that would actually make the car drift hard to the right if you weren't turning the wheel to the left, so you had to compensate for the direction change. My car will continue going straight if you don't touch the wheel.

It happens going slow or fast - speed doesn't matter - but it only happens when I accelerate (jerks left) and when I decelerate (jerks back to center). It also doesn't matter what gear it's in. I checked the motor mounts when I had the subframe out, they're not perfect but not broken as far as I can tell.

Thoughts on what the issue is?

Old 05-20-2018, 06:45 PM

You say there is still a slight jerk when you accelerate. Was it like this before the sub frame was replaced? Steering wheel at an odd angle? Whats it doing? Motor mounts (front and rear on the sub frame) are hydraulic. They are either good or they're bad. Does the front of the engine raise up and fall down when you put the car in drive with your foot on the brake? If so the mount (front of sub frame) is bad, but shouldn't cause the steering wheel to jerk. It will raise very slightly and go back down softly if the mount is good. There is a mount under the air filter area too and a torque strut on the transmission that is visible through the driver side wheel well. Check them all. How many miles on this pacifica? I would assume the alignment shop checked all the suspension parts? Were the CV joints inspected? Lower control arms? Struts? Wheel bearings?

Old 06-17-2021, 03:25 PM
Default 2018 Chrysler Pacifica shudders at speed speed left turn and return

Our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica shudders at low speed left turn and return. Did you ever get it resolved? If so what was the solution? Having trouble with Chrysler Selma in California because we bought the car at Clovis Chrysler with a warranty extended. Mopar will not approve what Selma has sent them in what they think but won't positively state is the problem. Very frustrated at this point. We are a three-car family with lots of medical issues that need to arrive at different times to appointments. This is the third day they have had our car.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bearbearbunch
Our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica shudders at low speed left turn and return. Did you ever get it resolved? If so what was the solution? Having trouble with Chrysler Selma in California because we bought the car at Clovis Chrysler with a warranty extended. Mopar will not approve what Selma has sent them in what they think but won't positively state is the problem. Very frustrated at this point. We are a three-car family with lots of medical issues that need to arrive at different times to appointments. This is the third day they have had our car.
Hello,
Following up on this topic.
Was the dealer able to resolve your concerns?

Lamar
Chrysler Cares